You are going to love this vegan buffalo sauce recipe. It’s the perfect combination of hot and flavourful, but not too spicy. It’s so easy to make using Frank’s hot sauce, and no butter. And it’s made with cashew butter instead, making it healthy, dairy free, paleo and Whole30 compliant too.
Why you will love this recipe:
- The taste! This dairy free buffalo sauce has the best combination of heat and flavour, yet it’s not too spicy.
- It’s nice and creamy, just how a buffalo sauce should be.
- It’s so easy to make and the recipe only takes a few minutes from start to finish.
- It’s healthy, and naturally dairy free since it’s made with no butter.
- It’s made with cashew butter and Frank’s hot sauce (which you can substitute for another hot sauce of your choice).
- Besides being vegan this buffalo sauce recipe is dairy free, gluten free and safe for those following a paleo or Whole30 diet too!
- This plant based buffalo sauce can be used for so many things! Making buffalo cauliflower wings, buffalo wings and more.
Key ingredients and substitutions:
- Cashew butter – most buffalo sauce recipes use butter as the base, but not this one! Cashew butter gives it a delicious flavour while keeping it dairy free. Be sure to use smooth, unsweetened cashew butter and not chunky cashew butter.
- Hot sauce – I use Frank’s hot sauce but you could use any vegan hot sauce that you like.
- Vinegar – I use apple cider vinegar but white vinegar or coconut vinegar would also be great options.
- Paprika – to give it just a bit more flavour.
How to make this recipe:
You are going to love how easy this sauce is to make!
First, add all the ingredients to a small sauce pan and turn it on to low heat.
Then heat the ingredients together in the pan for 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently until they are smooth. Then serve and enjoy!
Tips and variations:
- Feel free to add other spices such as garlic powder or onion powder to change up the flavour.
- If you like a hotter buffalo sauce, add a bit more hot sauce to the recipe.
- Instead of apple cider vinegar you could easily use white vinegar or coconut vinegar instead, whatever is in your fridge.
- Use smooth, unsweetened cashew butter and not crunchy, cashew butter for this recipe.
- If you like a thinner buffalo sauce, add a bit more avocado oil.
How to store:
Store this vegan buffalo sauce in the fridge for up to 2 weeks in an air tight container. Just heat it up when you are ready to use it.
Uses for Buffalo Sauce:
- To make buffalo cauliflower
- To make buffalo chicken wings
- To use as a dip for raw veggies
- To use as a dip for French fries or Sweet Potato fries
- For topping popcorn
- For topping macaroni and cheese
- For sushi
- As a dip for crackers or chips
- For topping burgers, turkey burgers, sliders or hot dogs
Frequently asked questions:
Can vegans eat buffalo sauce?
Most buffalo sauce recipes are not vegan as they are made with butter, which is a dairy product. However, you can easily make your own vegan buffalo sauce by using vegan butter or cashew butter instead.
Is Sweet Baby Ray’s Buffalo Sauce vegan?
Yes you will be happy to know that Sweet Baby Ray’s Buffalo Sauce is vegan. It’s also gluten free and dairy free.
What store bought buffalo sauce brands are vegan?
While this buffalo sauce recipe only takes a few minutes to make, if you would prefer to buy pre-made, store bought buffalo sauce, these brands are vegan and dairy free:
- Primal Kitchen Buffalo Sauce
- Frank’s Red Hot Buffalo Sauce
- The New Primal Buffalo Sauce
- Tabasco Buffalo Sauce
- Sweet Baby Ray’s Buffalo Sauce
Other vegan recipes you will love:
- Vegan Caesar Salad Dressing
- Vegan Mascarpone
- Coconut Whipped Cream
- Chocolate Caramel Pretzel Bars
- Vegan Hot Chocolate Bombs
- Walnut Dressing
SINCE YOU MADE IT THIS FAR WE ARE BASICALLY BEST FRIENDS SO BE SURE TO FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST AND FACEBOOK WHERE I SHARE EVEN MORE RECIPES AND HEALTHY LIVING TIPS! AND DON’T FORGET TO LEAVE THIS RECIPE A STAR REVIEW BEFORE YOU GO!
Vegan Buffalo Sauce
You will love this vegan buffalo sauce recipe. It's so easy to make in just a few minutes and you'll love that it's healthy, dairy free, paleo and Whole30 too.
Add all the ingredients to a small sauce pan and place it on the stove on low heat. Heat for about a minute and stir everything to combine until it's smooth
Let the sauce cool for a few minutes before serving
- Store this sauce in an air tight container in the fridge
- You can use any hot sauce that you like to make this recipe. I use Frank's Hot Sauce
Pin this recipe for later: