This Healthy Honey Mustard Sauce recipe is such a healthier and tastier alternative to store bought versions. This sauce is sweet, creamy, tangy and made with just a few pantry staple ingredients. It only takes a few minutes to make and is the perfect dip, or dressing.
HEALTHY HONEY MUSTARD SAUCE
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS HONEY MUSTARD SAUCE RECIPE:
- The flavour! This honey mustard sauce is the perfect combination of sweet and tangy.
- It’s a healthy alternative to store bought honey mustard dressings.
- It’s so easy to make and comes together in a just few minutes.
- It could be used in a variety of ways. I like using it as a dipping sauce for chicken tenders or as a salad dressing.
- The whole family will love this honey mustard sauce! It’s nice and mild, perfect for people of all ages.
KEY INGREDIENTS FOR THIS SAUCE:
- Mayo: to give this sauce the perfect creamy texture. You can either make your own, or use your favorite store bought mayonnaise.
- Honey: it just wouldn’t be honey mustard without the honey.
- Mustard: I used both yellow mustard and dijon mustard because they each have a very distinct flavour that works well with the sweetness of the honey.
- Apple cider vinegar: a little acidity to balance out the sweetness of the honey and the spiciness of the mustard.
- Seasoning: all you need is a pinch of salt and paprika, nothing fancy.
HOW TO MAKE THIS HONEY MUSTARD DRESSING:
It couldn’t be easier! Just combine all of the ingredients in a bowl or large measuring and stir until nice and smooth.
VARIATIONS FOR THIS HEALTHY HONEY MUSTARD SAUCE:
- Instead of apple cider vinegar you could use lemon juice, coconut vinegar or white vinegar.
- If you like a spicier sauce, add a bit more paprika or some black pepper.
- Feel free to double or triple the recipe depending on your needs.
- You can use any type of mayo that you like, or make your own in under a minute!
- If you like an even sweeter sauce, add an extra tablespoon of honey.
- To make this dressing paleo: use paleo compliant mayonnaise and mustards.
- Serve as a dipping sauce for chicken tenders. This is a family favourite!
- Use it as a glaze. Just brush it on chicken, chicken wings, salmon or pork before cooking to give the protein a depth of flavour like no other.
- Use this honey mustard as a flavourful salad dressing or dressing for coleslaw.
- You could use it as a dip for apples, raw veggies, pretzels or on a charcuterie board.
- Toss your veggies in this honey mustard before roasting.
- Use it as a dip for French fries or sweet potato fries.
- As a sauce for serving sandwiches or burgers.
- For serving with ham.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
Can I substitute the honey in this recipe?
While I recommend using honey for this recipe, you could substitute the honey for date syrup. Dates offer a similar level of sweetness to honey and won’t alter the flavour profile too much.
Can I store this sauce in the fridge?
Yes! You could absolutely store this honey mustard in the fridge. I recommend keeping it in an air tight container for up to 3 weeks.
Can I make this honey mustard vegan?
Definitely. If you want to make this a vegan honey mustard sauce just substitute the honey for date syrup and use a vegan mayo instead of regular. Also, double check that the mustard you are using is vegan friendly.
OTHER DELICIOUS SAUCES AND DRESSINGS YOU WILL LOVE:
- Vegan Buffalo Sauce
- Whole30 BBQ Sauce
- Walnut Dressing
- Sugar Free Cranberry Sauce
- Vegan Teriyaki Sauce
- Dairy Free Alfredo Sauce
SINCE YOU MADE IT THIS FAR WE ARE BASICALLY BEST FRIENDS SO BE SURE TO FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, TIKTOK AND FACEBOOK WHERE I SHARE EVEN MORE RECIPES AND HEALTHY LIVING TIPS! AND DON’T FORGET TO LEAVE THIS RECIPE A STAR REVIEW BEFORE YOU GO!
Healthy Honey Mustard Sauce
- Place all the ingredients in a large bowl or glass measuring cup
- Stir well until smooth
- When looking at the nutritional information 1 serving = 1 tbsp
- Nutritional information will vary depending on the specific ingredients and brands you choose to use.
- This sauce stores really well in the fridge in an air tight container for weeks.
Pin this recipe for later: