This gluten free chocolate chip banana bread is going to become your new favourite breakfast recipe. It has the best flavour and the perfect moist texture so you would never know it’s gluten free! This banana bread is also paleo, grain-free and dairy-free.
This gluten free chocolate chip banana bread recipe is the result of years of trial and error. Making a grain and dairy free chocolate chip banana bread was no easy task, but I am so thrilled with how this recipe turned out. This banana bread makes the perfect breakfast, snack or treat. It’s soft on the inside, slightly sweet, and oh so chocolatey!
Why this gluten free chocolate chip banana bread is so good:
- This paleo banana bread is incredibly delicious. It’s bursting with chocolate flavour and has the best, soft texture
- Not only is this banana bread gluten free, but it’s also grain free and dairy free so safe for the paleo diet
- It’s surprisingly easy to make! Throw all the ingredients into your standing mixer and that’s basically it
- It is a healthy alternative to many gluten free banana bread recipes as it only has 1/4 cup of honey as a sweetener
- You would never guess it is gluten and grain free! It uses almond flour, tapioca flour and coconut flour to give it the perfect grain like texture
- It’s made in just one bowl so your clean up is so easy!
The key to making a paleo chocolate chip banana bread recipe is using the right kind of chocolate chips. You need to choose a brand that doesn’t use dairy or soy. My personal favourite brands of dairy free and soy free chocolate chips are:
- Equal Exchange Bittersweet Chocolate Chips
- Pascha Organic Dark Chocolate Baking Chips
- Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips
How to make this gluten free chocolate chip banana bread recipe:
You will be thrilled to learn just how easy this paleo banana bread is to make!
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- Add the dry and wet ingredients to your standing mixer (minus the chocolate chips), and blend well until the batter is smooth.
- Stir in the chocolate chips and transfer the batter to your greased bread pan.
- Spread the batter evenly with a spoon or knife and then sprinkle the extra chocolate chips on top.
- Bake for ~55 minutes (until a toothpick inserted inside comes out clean).
- Allow the bread to cool for at least 30 minutes and then dive in and enjoy!
Variations of this gluten free chocolate chip banana bread recipe:
- Substitute maple syrup for the honey
- Instead of topping the banana bread with chocolate chips, use my paleo honey glaze instead
- For some added crunch add in chopped pecans or walnuts
- Try using cashew flour instead of almond flour
Frequently asked questions about gluten free chocolate chip banana bread:
- How do you make gluten free banana bread moist? The key is using enough bananas, the right combination of gluten free flours and enough wet ingredients. I used 3 bananas in this recipe, plus 3 eggs, 1/4 cup of melted coconut oil and 1/4 cup of honey to ensure it doesn’t turn out dry. I also used a combination of almond flour, tapioca flour and coconut flour to give this gluten free banana bread the perfect texture.
- Is this paleo chocolate chip banana bread safe for the GAPS diet or SCD diet? No it’s not. Even though it is grain free and dairy free, this gluten free chocolate chip banana bread uses tapioca flour which is not allowed on either the GAPS or SCD diets.
- Can I leave out the eggs in this gluten free banana bread? To be honest I haven’t tried the recipe without the eggs. If you want to substitute with 3 gelatin eggs or chia seed eggs feel free to try, but just be aware that the bread won’t rise nearly as much and I can’t guarantee the same outcome as with eggs. If you do try it without the eggs please let us know how it turns out!
- What if I am allergic to almonds? You can substitute the almond flour for cashew flour!
- Can I substitute the almond flour for coconut flour in this paleo chocolate chip banana bread? Absolutely not! These two grain free flours cook very differently. You would need much less coconut flour and many more wet ingredients to make this recipe work with just coconut flour… but stay tuned… I am working on a nut free banana bread recipe for you guys!
Other paleo and gluten free recipes you will love
If you love this gluten free chocolate chip banana bread, or if banana bread isn’t your thing I’ve got tons of other recipes you are sure to enjoy including:
- Paleo Carrot Cake Donuts
- Paleo Carrot Cake Banana Bread
- Paleo Chocolate Chip Pancakes
- Chocolate Avocado Torte
- Chocolate Raspberry Cups
- Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies
Did you make and love this recipe? Make sure to leave a comment or review below. And be sure to share your creations by tagging me on instagram.
Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Banana Bread (Paleo, Grain Free, Dairy Free)
A gluten free chocolate chip banana bread recipe that is bursting with flavour and made with dairy free and soy free chocolate chips so that it's also paleo. This gluten free chocolate chip banana bread is the perfect breakfast or snack.
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1 cup tapioca flour
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- pinch sea salt
- 3 ripe bananas
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil (plus a little more for greasing the pan)
- 1/4 cup honey (use raw, local, honey if possible)
- 1 tbsp organic vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup dairy and soy free chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup dairy and soy free chocolate chips (for topping the bread)
Preheat your oven to 350F
Add all the ingredients, except the chocolate chips, to your standing mixer and blend well until smooth
Stir in 1/2 cup of the chocolate chips by hand
Grease your bread pan with extra coconut oil or line it with parchment paper and pour the batter into the bread pan and spread with a spoon or knife until smooth
Sprinkle the extra 1/4 cup chocolate chips on top of the bread for garnish
Place in the oven and bake for 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted inside comes out clean
Remove from the oven and let cool for 30-60 minutes
Serve and enjoy!
Make sure to use dairy and soy free chocolate chips to make this paleo.
If you don't want to add the extra 1/4 cup chocolate chips feel free to leave them out.
Maple syrup can be substituted for honey.
Pin this recipe for later: