This is the best gluten free chocolate chip banana bread recipe! Healthier than most banana bread recipes this one is made with almond flour and coconut flour so not only is it gluten free but it's dairy free and paleo too. Plus it's so easy to make in just one bowl.
Why you will love this recipe:
- This healthy chocolate chip banana bread is incredibly delicious.
- Even though it's made from scratch this recipe is surprisingly easy to make in just one bowl so the clean up is also really simple.
- It's bursting with chocolate flavour and has the best, moist texture.
- Not only is this banana bread recipe gluten free, but it's also grain free and dairy free so safe for the paleo diet.
- This gluten free banana bread is made with almond flour so it's lower in carbs, and higher in protein compared to other gluten free banana bread recipes.
- It is a healthy alternative to many gluten free banana bread recipes as it only has 1/4 cup of honey as a sweetener.
- This homemade gluten free chocolate chip bread freezes really well and is perfect for meal prep.
- This almond flour chocolate chip banana bread is also a dairy free chocolate chip banana bread.
- It's fluffy and moist.
- Kids love it!
Key ingredients and substitutions:
- Almond flour - one of my all time favourite gluten free flours it adds healthy fats and protein to this bread recipe. You could swap this for cashew flour. Just be sure to use almond flour and not almond meal.
- Coconut flour - when combined with almond flour this helps gives grain free baked goods the perfect texture.
- Tapioca flour - to help make this banana bread so light and fluffy. Don't confuse this with cassava flour - they are not the same thing!
- Bananas - to help add natural moisture and sweetness to this recipe. Be sure to use ripe bananas, and not green bananas.
- Eggs - these help add moisture and help the bread rise when it bakes.
- Coconut oil - this not only adds moisture but helps give the bread that perfect crisp outer crust.
- Honey - one of my favourite natural sweeteners to keep this recipe refined sugar free. You could swap this for maple syrup.
- Chocolate chips - I prefer to use dairy free chocolate chips sweetened with coconut sugar to keep this bread refined sugar free, but you can use any type of chocolate chips that you like.
How to make this recipe:
First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Now add the dry and wet ingredients to your standing mixer (minus the chocolate chips), and blend well until the batter is smooth.
Then stir in the chocolate chips by hand and transfer the batter to your greased bread pan.
Spread the batter evenly with a spoon or knife and then sprinkle the extra chocolate chips on top.
Then bake the bread for ~55 minutes (until a toothpick inserted inside comes out clean). Let the bread cool, then cut it into pieces and enjoy.
Tips and variations:
- Use room temperature eggs for best results.
- Be sure to use almond flour and not almond meal for this recipe.
- You can substitute maple syrup for the honey.
- For some added crunch add in chopped pecans or walnuts.
- Instead of almond flour you can use cashew flour.
- This banana bread freezes really well so you can make a double or triple batch and freeze some for later.
How to store:
Store this bread in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 7 days. It also freezes really well.
Frequently asked questions:
The key to making banana bread moist is using enough bananas, the right combination of gluten free flours and enough wet ingredients.
I haven't tried the recipe without the eggs and would not recommend omitting them or trying to use any egg replacements. This is not a vegan chocolate banana bread recipe.
The calories in this banana bread recipe will vary depending on the exact ingredients you use and how large of slices you cut, but if you get 8 servings out of this recipe each slice of this gluten free banana bread has approximately 459 calories.
You can substitute the almond flour for cashew flour.
Absolutely not! These two grain free flours cook very differently. You would need much less coconut flour and many more wet ingredients to make this recipe work with just coconut flour.
No! These two flours are very different. Do not try using cassava flour in this recipe, it will not turn out.
Other recipes you will love:
- Carrot Cake Donuts
- Chocolate coffee banana bread
- Carrot Cake Banana Bread
- Chocolate Avocado Torte
- Chocolate Raspberry Cups
- Chocolate chip marshmallow cookies
Since you made it this far we are basically best friends so be sure to follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, TikTok and Facebook where I share even more recipes and healthy living tips! And don’t forget to leave this recipe a star review before you go!
Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- Add all the ingredients, except the chocolate chips, to your standing mixer and blend well until smooth.
- Stir in 1/2 cup of the chocolate chips by hand.
- Grease your bread pan with extra coconut oil or line it with parchment paper and pour the batter into the bread pan and spread with a spoon or knife until smooth.
- Sprinkle the extra 1/4 cup chocolate chips on top of the bread for garnish.
- Place in the oven and bake for 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted inside comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 30-60 minutes. Then serve and enjoy!
- Nutritional values are an estimate and will vary depending on the exact ingredients you use.
- Store this banana bread in the fridge in an air tight container for up to 7 days.