Cooking frozen sweet potato fries in an air fryer is the best! They are so easy to make and they turn out perfectly crispy - better than any fast food restaurant! Ready in just 15 minutes air fryer sweet potato fries are healthy, oil free, and make the perfect side dish or snack.
Why you will love this simple recipe:
- It is so quick and easy to cook frozen sweet potato fries in an air fryer - it only takes 15 minutes and you don't need to thaw the fries ahead of time.
- These sweet potato fries turn out perfectly! Nice and crisp on the outside, with a soft and tender inside. Just how sweet potato fries should be.
- The clean up is a breeze since you don't have to worry about oil getting all over your kitchen like you do with deep frying.
- Air fried frozen sweet potato fries are a healthy alternative to deep fried sweet potato fries as they are made with less oil and you get to control how much oil you use and you can even make them oil free if you like. This also allows these fries to have fewer calories than deep fried fries.
- You can use any brand of frozen sweet potato fries that you like - some popular brands include Trader Joe's, McCain and Alexia fries - but any brand that you can find in your grocery store will do.
- This cooking method works for all types of air fryers including Ninja Foodi, Ninja Air Fryer, Ninja Foodi Grill, Instant Vortex, Pampered Chef, Breville, Emeril Air Fryer, Cuisinart Air Fryer and Chefman Air Fryers.
- You could use your own homemade frozen sweet potato fries to make this recipe even healthier and make it lower in calories.
- These delicious fries make for a quick side dish or quick snack and takes less time than baking fries in the oven. They are a tasty alternative to regular fries.
Taste and texture:
When cooked in an air fryer you get the most crispy sweet potato fries. You can change up the flavour by adding your own seasonings and by serving them with your favourite dipping sauce.
You should be able to find these simple ingredients at your local grocery store. For the exact measurements and recipe tips refer to the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
A bag of frozen sweet potato fries - There are many different brands of sweet potato fries on the market and Trader Joe's sweet potato fries, McCain sweet potato fries and Alexia sweet potato fries are a few popular brands, but any brand that you can find in your grocery store will do. You can also use homemade, frozen sweet potato fries too.
If you cook a different type of frozen sweet potato fries such as sweet potato waffle fries, shoe string fries, steak fries, or curly fries, you may need to adjust the cooking time based into the thickness of the fries.
How to cook:
First, place the frozen sweet potato fries on the trays of your air fryer or in the air fryer basket and cook them for 12-15 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit, flipping the fries half way through, or shaking the basket half way through to help the fries cook evenly.
When the fries have finished cooking, sprinkle them with your favorite seasoning such as salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, seasoning salt, and any other seasonings that you like (note: if your fries are pre-seasoned you can likely skip this step).
- Every model of air fryer is different, so you may have to adjust the cook time if you are using a different model.
- Depending on the size of your air fryer, and the size of the bag of sweet potato fries that you buy, you may have to air fry the sweet potatoes in batches.
- For the crispiest sweet potato fries, my top tip is to be sure to leave some space around the fries so the hot air can circulate and cook better.
- For best results, try not to overlap the sweet potato fries when they are in the air fryer or they won't cook as well. Place them in a single layer in your air fryer basket or on the trays.
- If your sweet potato fries are pre-seasoned, don't worry about adding any seasonings. If they are not pre-seasoned, season them however you prefer once they have finished cooking. Some great options include sea salt, black pepper, cinnamon, garlic powder, garlic salt, onion powder, Italian seasoning or seasoning salt.
How to serve:
Sweet potato fries are such a fun side dish that can be eaten on their own but I also love pairing them with any type of burger including air fryer hamburgers, turkey burgers or duck burgers, or steak, lamb chops, fish sticks, scallops, sausages, chicken fingers or chicken tenders or chicken wings.
These extra crispy fries are the perfect easy side dish to serve on game days and they make the most delicious snack!
How to store:
If you have any leftover sweet potato fries, store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
How to reheat:
If you end up with any leftover fries after you've cooked them you can easily re-heat them in your air fryer. To do so preheat your air frier to 400 degrees Fahrenheit, then cook the sweet potato fries for 1-2 minutes until heated through and crisp (depending on the model of air fryer you use you may have to adjust the cooking time slightly so just be sure to watch them closely).
Frequently asked questions:
Some air fryer recipes will ask you to preheat your air fryer, but for this frozen sweet potato fries air fryer recipe there is no need to preheat your air fryer. If you do choose to preheat it, subtract a few minutes of cooking time from the fries.
Place the frozen Trader Joes sweet potato fries in your air fryer and cook them for 12-16 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
Place the frozen sweet potato fries in your air fryer and cook them for 12-16 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
Nope! There is no need to soak sweet potato fries before cooking them in an air fryer. They will turn out perfectly crisp even if you don't soak them.
How healthy sweet potato fries are will depend on the brand you buy and what they are coated in. The healthiest option would be sweet potato fries that are just plain. But many brands will add oil, seasonings and or sugar so be sure to read labels carefully and pick the brand you feel most comfortable with. You could also easily make your own sweet potato fries and then you have total control over what goes on them!
Other air fryer recipes you will love:
Since you made it this far we are basically best friends so be sure to follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, TikTok and Facebook where I share even more recipes and healthy living tips! And don’t forget to leave this recipe a star review before you go!
Frozen Sweet Potato Fries in an Air Fryer
- 1 bag frozen sweet potato fries (454 grams)
- sea salt (to taste)
- ground black pepper (to taste)
- Place the frozen sweet potato fries on the trays of your air fryer and cook for 14-15 minutes at 400F, flipping the fries half way through.
- Sprinkle the fries with salt, pepper and any other seasonings you like (note that if your fries are pre-seasoned you can likely skip this step).
- Try not to overlap the sweet potato fries when they are in the air fryer or they won't cook as well.
- If your sweet potato fries are pre-seasoned you shouldn't have to season them after they're done cooking.
- The calorie and macro counts will vary based on the brand of sweet potato fries that you buy so please check the bag you purchase rather than relying on the values here.