This is the best paleo broccoli salad recipe! With a rich and creamy dressing and the perfect amount of crunch this salad is made with broccoli, red onion, almonds and fresh grapes. It’s great for summer picnics, barbecues and makes the perfect side dish. It’s also Whole30 and dairy-free!
Why you will love this recipe:
- This healthy broccoli salad is my new favourite side dish. It has the best creamy dressing and the combination of broccoli, fresh grapes and crunchy almonds blends perfectly.
- This simple broccoli salad is so easy to make using pantry staples and it also makes great leftovers.
- It’s perfect for meal prep.
- Besides being paleo, this salad is also Whole30 compliant, dairy free and healthy!
- It’s perfect for all your spring and summer picnics, barbecues and cookouts!
- This is a fun twist on a classic broccoli salad because it’s made with no bacon.
Key ingredients and substitutions:
- Mayonnaise – A good mayonnaise is key to making a delicious broccoli salad. It’s used to make the delicious creamy dressing. I love using my homemade mayonnaise for this recipe but you can use your favourite store bought mayo too.
- Dijon mustard – to give the dressing it just a little tang and extra flavour.
- Coconut vinegar and balsamic vinegar – the combination of these two vinegars makes the creamy dressing on this salad taste so good!
- Fresh broccoli – the star of this healthy salad is fresh broccoli. I kept it simple and used raw broccoli for this recipe. No need for blanching the broccoli.
- Grapes – grapes add the perfect amount of sweetness to this salad that blends perfectly with the tartness of the broccoli and the creamy dressing.
- Slivered almonds – not only do almonds taste amazing and add flavour to this salad, they also give it a nice crunchy texture.
How to make this recipe:
First, put all the ingredients for the salad in a large bowl.
Then mix the dressing in another bowl and stir it well until it’s smooth and creamy.
Now pour the dressing over the salad ingredients.
Now stir everything well so that the salad ingredients are evenly coated. Then serve and enjoy!
What to serve with broccoli salad:
- Broccoli salad goes really well with burgers and I often pair them with my favourite pork burgers.
- Paleo salad makes a great side dish for pork chops like my blueberry pork chops.
- Pair this salad with ribs! These slow cooker ribs are my favourite.
- This salad goes so well with salt and pepper chicken wings!
- It goes great with steak, grilled chicken or fish!
Chef’s tips and variations:
- I think this salad tastes even better if you let it sit in the fridge for 1-2 hours (or overnight) before serving.
- For even more crunch add some cooked bacon bits!
- Instead of slivered almonds you could use pine nuts, sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds instead.
- If you prefer to blanche your broccoli when you make broccoli salad feel free to do so.
- To make this into a vegan broccoli salad use a vegan mayonnaise.
How to store:
This salad makes great leftovers and can be kept in the fridge in an air tight container for up to a week.
Frequently asked questions
Nope! For this broccoli salad there is no need to steam the broccoli, I just use raw broccoli but if you prefer you can also blanche it.
Do you blanch broccoli for broccoli salad?
Some broccoli salad recipes will ask you to blanch the broccoli, but not all. This simple broccoli salad requires no blanching so it is ready in no time.
Can you make broccoli salad without bacon?
Yes! You can easily make a broccoli salad with no bacon. Instead of bacon, other options to add crunch to broccoli salad include using nuts or seeds such as slivered almonds, pecans or pine nuts.
This broccoli salad keeps well in the fridge for up to a week after making it as long as you store it in an airtight container.
Other delicious recipes you will love:
- Dairy free ice cream bars
- Kale and Apple Salad
- Asian Coleslaw
- Easy Green Beans and Almonds
- Teriyaki Broccoli Stir Fry
- Paleo Potato Salad
- Walnut Dressing
SINCE YOU MADE IT THIS FAR WE ARE BASICALLY BEST FRIENDS SO BE SURE TO FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST AND FACEBOOK WHERE I SHARE EVEN MORE RECIPES AND HEALTHY LIVING TIPS! AND DON’T FORGET TO LEAVE THIS RECIPE A STAR REVIEW BEFORE YOU GO!
Paleo Broccoli Salad
This paleo broccoli salad is just the best! It has a little sweetness from grapes, crunch from slivered almonds and a delicious dressing. It's also Whole30 and dairy-free.
- 2 heads broccoli, finely chopped
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup sliced red grapes
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion (or more to taste)
In a large bowl combine all the salad ingredients.
In a separate bowl or jar, combine the dressing ingredients and stir them well until they are smooth.
Add the dressing to the salad and stir everything well until combined.
Optional: put the salad in the fridge for 1-2 hours before serving to help the flavours become stronger and the broccoli to get more crisp.
- This salad tastes even better if left in the fridge for 1-2 hours before serving.
- Nutritional values are an estimate and will vary depending on the exact ingredients you use.
- Store this salad in the fridge for up to a week after you make it.
Pin this recipe for later: