Paleo Ice Cream Bars with Berries are going to become your new favourite spring and summer treat. These dairy free ice cream bars are easy to make, don’t require an ice cream maker and are so, so tasty! They are refined sugar free and made with both blueberries and raspberries. These ice cream bars are also vegan and plant based.
Why you will love this recipe:
- The taste! These dairy free ice cream bars have the most incredible flavour.
- They are surprisingly easy to make.
- They are made without an ice cream maker.
- They’re so pretty!
- They are dairy free, gluten free and vegan.
- They are the perfect summer dessert.
- They’re made with blueberries and raspberries and are a healthy ice cream recipe.
- They can be served for Easter, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, baby showers or bridal showers.
Ingredients and substitutions:
- Almonds – raw almonds are used to form the base of these dreamy bars. Almonds are full of healthy fats and help add fiber and texture to this dessert recipe. You could use cashew instead of almonds if you prefer.
- Cashews – raw cashews blend beautifully to create an ice cream like consistency while keeping these bars totally dairy free.
- Shredded coconut – to help compliment the almonds in making the crust. Be sure to choose finely shredded coconut which is normally found in the baking isle.
- Honey or maple syrup – these natural sweeteners are used in all three layers of these bars to give them the perfect amount of sweetness while keeping them refined sugar fee. If yo are vegan be sure to use maple syrup.
- Vanilla extract – to help enhance the flavours in these delicious ice cream bars.
- Coconut milk – this is blended with the cashews to give the perfect creamy, ice cream texture, without the cream. I recommend using full fat coconut milk as low fat coconut milk has too much water.
- Coconut oil – this is used to help the ice cream layer harden in the freezer. Coconut oil is full of healthy fats and is one of my favourite plant based oils.
- Berries – both raspberries and blueberries are used in this recipe to give these bars the most incredible flavour and beautiful color.
- A food processor to make the crust. I personally use and love this food processor which is very affordable.
- A Vitamix or other high speed blender to make the ice cream layer. This is the Vitamix I own and absolutely love.
How to make this recipe:
To make the crust:
Add the crust ingredients to your food processor and blend well until the ingredients stick together, and are the texture you desire.
Then transfer the ingredients to an 8″ by 8″ glass pan and press down evenly with a spoon until smooth.
To make the vanilla layer:
Add the vanilla layer ingredients to your blender and blend well until smooth.
Then pour the ingredients on top of the crust and spread evenly with a spoon or knife.
To make the berry layer:
Add the berry layer ingredients to your blender and blend those ingredients until smooth.
Pour the ingredients on top of the vanilla layer and spread throughout the vanilla layer, using a swirling pattern to create the pattern you desire. Then put the whole pan in the freezer for 3-4 hours, until the ice cream layer is the texture you desire.
Then remove the pan from the freezer and cut the bars into the sizes you desire. Then serve and enjoy!
- Store these bars in the freezer for up to 14 days. When you are ready to eat them let them thaw for a couple minutes to soften the ice cream layer just a bit.
- Feel free to change up the berries in this recipe. Strawberries and blackberries would also be delicious.
Frequently asked questions:
Can you have ice cream on paleo?
The paleo diet does not allow dairy products, so classic ice cream that is made with milk or cream is not allowed. However, there are many dairy free ice cream options on the market now and some of them are safe to eat on the paleo diet. Just be sure to read labels carefully to avoid any that contain ingredients that aren’t paleo such a soy and refined sugars.
Are these ice cream bars vegan?
As long as you use maple syrup to sweeten these bars this recipe is vegan and plant based.
Are these ice cream bars gluten free?
Yes they are.
Other recipes you will love:
- Gluten Free Lemon Bars with Cranberry
- Dairy Free Blueberry Cheesecake
- Dairy Free Brownies with Caramel
- Chocolate Avocado Torte
- Paleo Carrot Cake Donuts
- Chocolate Avocado Mousse
Paleo Ice Cream Bars with Berries
Vanilla Cheesecake Layer
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- Place all the ingredients into your food processor.
- Blend until the ingredients stick together and are the texture you desire.
- Transfer the ingredients to a 8" x 8" glass baking dish and press down with a spoon until smooth.
- Place the pan in the freezer while you make the cheesecake layer.
Vanilla Cheesecake Layer
- Place all the ingredients into your Vitamix or other high speed blender and blend well until smooth.
- Poor the ingredients over the crust and spread with a spoon until smooth.
- Place the ingredients into your Vitamix or other high speed blender and blend until smooth.
- Transfer the ingredients on top of the cheesecake layer and spread throughout, in a swirling pattern.
- Place the pan in the freezer and freeze for 3-4 hours, until the ice cream layer is the consistency you desire.
- Remove the pan from the freezer and cut the pieces into the desired size.
- You can store these ice cream bars in the freezer.
- If you are vegan use maple syrup instead of honey.
- If you are on the SCD or GAPS diets, use honey instead of maple syrup.
Pin this recipe for later: