These are the best cassava flour chocolate chip cookies. Perfectly crisp and chocolatey you will love how easy they are to make. They are also gluten free, dairy-free, nut-free, vegan and paleo!
I’ve had more requests for recipes with cassava flour instead of almond flour, and these chocolate chip cookies are my latest creation using cassava flour. And they were no easy feat! It took me five tries to get this recipe perfect. Yes five. I tried so many combinations before I got it right. So I really hope you love them! Not only are these cookies made with cassava flour but they are also nut-free, gluten free, dairy-free, vegan and paleo.
Cassava Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe
Why these Cassava Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies are so good:
- They are perfectly crisp on the outside yet nice and soft in the middle – just like a classic store bought cookie.
- They taste so good you would never be able to guess they are grain free and gluten free
- They are really easy to make and the clean up is simple!
- Besides being gluten free and grain-free they are also vegan, paleo, nut-free and dairy-free
Ingredients needed to make these cassava flour chocolate chip cookies:
- Cassava flour – Cassava flour is a great grain alternative that is made from the entire root of the cassava plant
- Dairy-free and soy-free chocolate chips – my favourite brand is Pascha Organic
- A baking sheet
- Parchment paper: this is used so that your cookies do not not come into direct contact with the non-stick surface of your baking sheet (Remember that those coatings are really bad for your health – you can learn more about that in this post)
- Coconut oil – this is used instead of butter to keep these cookies vegan.
- Vanilla extract – this helps enhance the flavour of the cookies.
- Maple syrup or honey
- Baking soda
- Baking powder – note that store bough baking powder is not safe for the paleo diet as it contains cornstarch. Instead you can make your own (see the recipe card for how to do this).
How to make these cookies:
You will love how easy these cookies are to make!
- While your oven is preheating add all the ingredients, except for the chocolate chips, to a large bowl and stir everything well until it’s combined
- Then add in the chocolate chips and stir into the cookie dough
- Form the dough into 12 balls and place them on the cookie sheet
- Then wet your hands and flatten each cookie (wet your hands between each cookie)
- Then bake the cookies for ~15-18 minutes and let them cool completely before enjoying
Tips for making these cassava flour cookies:
- Let the cookies cool completely before you eat them! Cassava flour is finicky and the texture doesn’t turn out well if you try to eat them too soon.
- If you aren’t vegan feel free to substitute honey for the maple syrup.
- Do not substitute tapioca flour for the cassava flour! These cookies will not turn out
- I think that these cookies taste even better the next day or two days later. They get even crispier just like a classic store-bought cookie!
- I really like how these cookies taste if they are kept in the fridge
Variations on these cookies:
- Instead of chocolate chips you can use chocolate chunks or a broken chocolate bar
- Instead of chocolate chips use raisins and a little cinnamon to make cinnamon raisin cookies
- If you are not vegan feel free to use butter or ghee instead of coconut oil
Frequently asked questions:
Both come from the cassava plant, but the difference is that cassava flour is made from the whole root, while tapioca flour is just made from the starchy part of the plant.
Absolutely not! The cookies won’t turn out if you try that. Cassava flour requires a lot more liquid than tapioca flour so you would have to drastically alter the wet ingredients if you tried this.
No! These cookies won’t turn out if you try this.
Other dessert recipes you will love:
- Vegan Edible Cookie Dough
- Gluten Free Turtle Bars
- The Best Gluten Free Brownies with Caramel
- Chocolate Avocado Cake
- Paleo Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
SINCE YOU MADE IT THIS FAR WE ARE BASICALLY BEST FRIENDS SO BE SURE TO FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST AND FACEBOOK WHERE I SHARE EVEN MORE RECIPES AND HEALTHY LIVING TIPS! AND DON’T FORGET TO LEAVE THIS RECIPE A STAR REVIEW BEFORE YOU GO!
Cassava Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies
These cassava flour chocolate chip cookies are just perfect! Crisp and filled with chocolate you will love that they are also gluten free, nut-free, dairy-free, vegan and paleo.
Preheat your oven to 350F
Add all the ingredients except for the chocolate chips to a large bowl and stir well until combined
Add the chocolate chips and stir well to combine
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and form the dough into 12 balls and place them on the parchment paper. Then wet your hands and flatten each dough ball. Place the tray in the oven and bake for 15-18 minutes
Let the cookies cool completely, then serve and enjoy!
Yields 12 cookies
- If you are on the paleo diet you will need to make your own baking powder. Store bought baking powder uses corn starch. To make your own, mix 1 tsp baking soda with 2 tsp cream of tartar. For this recipe you’ll need 1/4 tsp of this mixture.
- Let the cookies cool completely before removing them from the pan
- These cookies taste even better after they have been in the fridge or left out for a day
Pin this recipe for later: