These honey glazed carrots and parsnips are the most delicious side dish. Buttery, slightly salty, and slightly sweet they are so easy to make with just a few simple ingredients. They make a great side dish that your whole family will love and are great to serve at Thanksgiving or Christmas too!
Why you will love this recipe:
- These roasted carrots and parsnips with honey glaze taste amazing! Buttery, sweet and just a little salty!
- They’re really easy to make.
- They don’t require any fancy or hard to find ingredients.
- They make great leftovers and store well in the fridge.
- These roasted vegetables are naturally gluten free and paleo and can easily be made dairy free and vegan too!
- These veggies are a healthy side dish.
- They are simple enough to serve on busy weeknights, but good enough to serve for special occasions like Easter, Thanksgiving or Mother’s Day.
Key ingredients and substitutions:
For the full list of ingredients, head to the recipe card, but a few ingredient highlights include:
- Fresh carrots and parsnips – I recommend using fresh and not frozen vegetables for this dish, they just taste so much better! Both carrots and parsnips are full of healthy vitamins and minerals and are also high in fiber.
- Butter – to give these veggies such a delicious buttery flavour. If you are dairy free you can use coconut oil or a vegan butter instead.
- Honey – to add the perfect amount of sweetness to these vegetables. Honey and butter combine perfectly to make the most delicious glaze.
How to make this recipe:
First, preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
Now peel and chop the carrots and parsnips and place them in a large bowl. Pour the avocado oil over them and toss a few times to coat the vegetables well.
Next, line two baking sheets with parchment paper and transfer the vegetables to the baking sheets, spreading the vegetables out evenly so there is space around the vegetables. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
Then bake for 40-45 minutes, flipping the veggies half way through to ensure they cook evenly.
Once the vegetables are done cooking, make the honey glaze. To make the glaze, place the ingredients for the glaze in a microwave safe dish and heat on high for 20 seconds. Stir well to combine.
Place the roasted vegetables in large bowl and pour the honey glaze on top. Stir the vegetables a few times to coat them well and then serve and enjoy!
Tips and variations:
- To make it dairy free: Use coconut oil or a vegan butter instead of butter.
- To make it vegan: Use either vegan butter or coconut oil instead of butter and maple syrup instead of honey.
- If you are serving a crowd feel free to double or triple this recipe.
- Instead of avocado oil you can use olive oil.
- For a different flavour feel free to add other spices such as cinnamon, turmeric, curry powder or ginger.
- This recipe makes great leftovers and stores well in the fridge in an air tight container for up to 5 days.
Frequently asked questions:
For this recipe there is no need to parboil the parsnips. However, if you do want to try it, parboiling the parsnips first can help prevent dry or chewy parsnips. To parboil parsnips, put whole or halved parsnips into salted boiling water and cook for 8 minutes or until they are slightly tender.
Like potatoes, parsnips will brown after they’ve been cut, peeled, and exposed to air for too long. To prevent this, use the parsnips right away after cutting them, or prepare the parsnips ahead of time by peeling them and placing them in cold water or sprinkling with little lemon juice to keep them from browning.
I wouldn’t recommend making this entire recipe ahead of time, but you can prepare the vegetables ahead of time. To do this, peel and chop the carrots and parsnips and then leave them in cold water overnight. Then simply make the recipe the next day.
Other recipes you will love:
- Roasted green beans with almonds
- Dairy free cream of mushroom soup
- Dairy free pumpkin risotto
- Easy Asian Coleslaw
SINCE YOU MADE IT THIS FAR WE ARE BASICALLY BEST FRIENDS SO BE SURE TO FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST AND FACEBOOK WHERE I SHARE EVEN MORE RECIPES AND HEALTHY LIVING TIPS! AND DON’T FORGET TO LEAVE THIS RECIPE A STAR REVIEW BEFORE YOU GO!
Honey Glazed Carrots and Parsnips
Honey Glaze Ingredients
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp butter or ghee
- Preheat your oven to 400F.
- Peel and chop the carrots and parsnips and place them in a large bowl. Pour the avocado oil over them and toss a few times to coat the vegetables well.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and transfer the vegetables to the baking sheets, spreading the vegetables out evenly. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Place in the oven and bake for 40-45 minutes, flipping half way to ensure they cook evenly.
- Once the vegetables are done cooking, to make the honey glaze place the ingredients for the glaze in a microwave safe dish and heat on high for 20 seconds. Stir well to combine.
- Place the roasted vegetables in large bowl and pour the melted honey glaze ingredients on top. Stir a few times to coat and then serve and enjoy!
- Instead of butter you can use ghee or coconut oil.
- Instead of honey you could use maple syrup.
- For a different flavour add other spices such as cinnamon, turmeric, ginger or curry powder.
- Store these roasted veggies in the fridge in an air tight container for up to 5 days.
Pin this recipe for later: