This is the best sugar free cranberry sauce recipe! It's so easy to make and this healthy cranberry sauce uses orange juice, vanilla extract and grated apple instead of sugar. With hints of cinnamon and vanilla it's perfect for the holidays and is safe for those with diabetes and on a vegan, low carb, paleo or Whole30 diet.
Why you will love this recipe:
- It's so easy to make and doesn't require any sugar!
- This healthy cranberry sauce can be made with fresh or frozen cranberries.
- Instead of sugar substitutes like monk fruit, stevia, Splenda or Truvia, which many sugar free cranberry sauce recipes use, this one relies on the natural sweetness from fruits instead. It's the best no sweetener cranberry sauce.
- It has the perfect amount of sweetness from the orange juice, vanilla extract and shredded apple, which combines beautifully with the tart cranberries.
- It is a great diabetic cranberry sauce and it's great if you are counting carbs or looking for a lower carb cranberry sauce.
- This is a healthy cranberry sauce that is also gluten free, dairy free and safe for paleo, vegan, SCD, GAPS, keto and Whole30 diets and is entirely plant based.
- It is the perfect side dish to serve with turkey dinner, and all your favourite Christmas and Thanksgiving recipes like pecan pie, mashed potatoes, gravy, green beans and stuffing.
Key ingredients and substitutions:
- Fresh or frozen cranberries - the star of this recipe! Cranberries are a healthy fruit that are full of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. You can use either fresh cranberries or frozen cranberries for this recipe.
- Apples - to make the grated apple which helps gives this cranberry sauce it's natural sweetness, without adding any sugar.
- Oranges - for making the orange juice that is used to help naturally sweeten this cranberry sauce.
- Vanilla extract - to help enhance the flavours and give this cranberry sauce a hint of vanilla flavour.
How to make this recipe:
First you will need to grate your apple and measure it.
Then place all of the ingredients into a medium sized pot or saucepan and place it on the stove. Turn the burner onto medium heat and allow the ingredients to come to a boil.
Next, reduce the heat and let the sauce simmer for 10-15 minutes, until it reaches the consistency you prefer.
Now serve and enjoy!
Tips and variations:
- You can use either fresh or frozen cranberries to make this cranberry sauce - if you use frozen cranberries you will need to add a few minutes of cooking time.
- To make this recipe a little sweeter feel free to add a little honey or maple syrup (just note that it would no longer be sugar free if you do this).
- If you would like a stronger orange flavour add 1-2 tablespoons of orange zest.
- If you are serving a crowd feel free to double or triple this recipe.
How to store:
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 7 days. This cranberry sauce also freezes really well.
Frequently asked questions:
This sugar free cranberry sauce is perfect for diabetics because it doesn't use any sugar. Many traditional cranberry sauce recipes do use a lot of sugar so diabetics would have to be careful when consuming them and watch their sugars closely.
Instead of sugar this cranberry sauce is sweetened with fresh orange juice and grated apple to make it less sweet.
Absolutely. You can use either fresh or frozen cranberries to make this recipe.
You can thicken cranberry sauce without sugar by adding other ingredients such as shredded apple which will help it thicken as the sauce simmers. The longer you boil the cranberries, the thicker the sauce will get.
Despite not having any added sugar this is not a low carb or keto cranberry sauce recipe. Between both the cranberries and apples this sauce contains approximately 9 carbs or 7 net carbs per serving, making it too high in carbohydrates for the keto diet.
Other recipes you will love:
- Christmas Chicken
- Glazed Carrots and Parsnips
- Slow Cooker Cranberry Maple Beef Roast
- Pumpkin Muffins with Chocolate Drizzle
- Dairy Free Brownies with Caramel
- Carrot Cake Donuts
Since you made it this far we are basically best friends so be sure to follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, TikTok and Facebook where I share even more recipes and healthy living tips! And don’t forget to leave this recipe a star review before you go!
Sugar Free Cranberry Sauce
- 227 grams fresh cranberries (or frozen cranberries)
- 3/4 cup packed grated apple (use a sweet apple such as gala or honey crisp)
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch sea salt
- Add all the ingredients to a medium pot and place it on the stove.
- Turn on the heat to medium and bring the ingredients to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes, until the cranberries are the texture you desire.
- Remove from the heat and serve and enjoy!
- This cranberry sauce makes great leftovers and can be stored in the fridge for up to 7 days.
- If you want to make it a little sweeter feel free to add a little honey or maple syrup.
- If you would like a stronger orange flavour add a bit of orange zest.
Leave a Reply