This is the best edible gluten free cookie dough recipe! Made without dairy and without eggs, it is safe to eat raw and still tastes amazing. Ready in just a few minutes this chocolate chip cookie dough is also vegan and paleo and healthier than most edible cookie dough recipes.
Why you will love this recipe:
- This healthy cookie dough tastes amazing! Just as good as store bought cookie dough, but made with good for you ingredients.
- This vegan gluten free cookie dough is really quick and easy to make and is ready in just a few minutes.
- Move over Sweet Lorens cookie dough, this is the best dairy free cookie dough recipe!
- It's made with simple ingredients including almond flour, maple syrup, coconut milk and chocolate chips.
- This edible cookie dough is made without peanut butter and without butter and is safe to eat raw since it's made with no eggs.
- This homemade cookie dough is also dairy-free, vegan and paleo.
- This edible chocolate chip cookie dough is healthier than most other cookie dough recipes since it's refined sugar free and made with no butter.
- You could easily turn this recipe into gluten free cookie dough bites.
- This cookie dough recipe is high in protein compared to other cookie dough recipes since it's made with almond flour.
- If you love edible cookie dough recipes you will also like edible pumpkin cookie dough and protein cookie dough.
Taste and texture:
This cookie dough is smooth, sweet and full of chocolate chips. The dough is nice and moist and not dry or crumbly. It tastes like a chocolate chip cookie!
Key ingredients and substitutions:
- Almond flour – almond flour is one of my favourite gluten free flours that has a natural sweet flavour from the almonds. It’s made from blanched, ground almonds so it’s full of healthy fats, fiber and protein. You could swap this for cashew flour instead. Be sure to use almond flour and not almond meal. Almond meal is too gritty.
- Coconut flour – coconut flour is used to add just a bit more texture and sweet taste to this cookie dough. I don’t recommend trying to swap this with another flour.
- Maple syrup – maple syrup is a delicious natural sweetener. It adds the perfect amount of sweetness to this cookie dough and it’s also safe if you are vegan or avoiding refined sugar.
- Coconut milk – coconut milk helps add moisture and a delicious, rich flavour to this recipe. You could swap this for milk or another dairy free milk of your choice such as cashew milk, oat milk or almond milk. If using coconut milk I recommend using full fat coconut milk for the best flavour and healthy fats.
- Chocolate chips – dark chocolate chips are used to make the best edible chocolate chip cookie dough! To keep this recipe refined sugar free choose chocolate chips sweetened with coconut sugar. If you are vegan be sure to use vegan chocolate chips. If you are dairy free use dairy free chocolate chips.
How to make this recipe:
First, add all the ingredients, except the chocolate chips, to a large bowl and stir well to combine into a smooth dough.
Now stir in the chocolate chips.
Then serve and enjoy!
- This edible cookie dough tastes even better after it has been in the fridge for 20-30 minutes.
- Heat this cookie dough in the microwave for a few seconds to melt the chocolate chips if you prefer melted chocolate chips or warm cookie dough.
Variations and add ins:
- Turn this cookie dough into vegan cookie dough bites by making small balls with the dough.
- If you aren't vegan, feel free to swap the maple syrup for honey.
- Feel free to use dark chocolate chunks or a dark chocolate bar, broken into pieces instead of chocolate chips.
- Feel free to swap the coconut milk for almond milk or cashew milk.
- To keep this recipe dairy free be sure to use dairy free chocolate chips.
- If you can't have almond flour I would use cashew flour instead.
- Feel free to add some raw nuts such as pecans, walnuts or cashews to give it a little crunch.
This cookie dough is delicious served as is, and can be served warm or cold. You can also use this cookie dough in many other ways including:
- Use it to top your favourite ice cream!
- Add it to chocolate avocado mousse.
- Make chocolate chip dough balls and dip them in melted chocolate to create cookie dough truffles!
- Add this cookie dough to brownies to make cookie dough brownies.
How to store:
Store this cookie dough in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 7 days. If you find it dries out a bit add a bit of water or extra coconut milk before serving.
This cookie dough also freezes really well and can be frozen for up to 2 months in an airtight container or bag.
Frequently asked questions:
Whether cookie dough is safe to eat raw will depend on whether it contains eggs or not. If a cookie dough recipe is made with eggs it is not safe to be eaten raw as there is a risk of contracting bacterial infections such as salmonella from the raw eggs. If a cookie dough recipe is egg free it is safe to eat raw.
There are many types of gluten free flours that can be used to make cookies and other baked goods. Common types of gluten free flours include all purpose gluten free flour blends, rice flour, almond flour, coconut flour, potato flour, tapioca flour, chickpea flour and more.
Well I would never call cookie dough “healthy” but this recipe is healthier than other cookie dough recipes as it is gluten free and dairy free and instead of using refined sugar it is sweetened with maple syrup or honey.
This cookie dough is egg-free which makes it safe to eat without cooking or baking. While some people do choose to eat raw eggs, I would not recommend it given the potential risk of contracting bacterial infections such as salmonella.
This cookie dough is safe for the paleo diet as it is both grain-free and dairy-free. It is also sweetened with honey or maple syrup so it is also refined sugar free.
Other gluten free desserts you will love:
- Turtle Cookie Dough Bars
- Gluten Free Chocolate Donuts
- Dairy Free Ice Cream Bars
- Gluten Free Brownies with Caramel
- Gluten Free Carrot Cake Donuts
- Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 3 Ingredient Mug Cake
Since you made it this far we are basically best friends so be sure to follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, TikTok and Facebook where I share even more recipes and healthy living tips! And don’t forget to leave this recipe a star review before you go!
Gluten Free Cookie Dough
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- pinch sea salt
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or honey
- 3 tablespoon coconut milk
- 2 tablespoon melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- Place all the ingredients, except the chocolate chips, into a bowl and stir well.
- Add the chocolate chips and stir to combine.
- Optional: place the dough in the fridge for 20-30 minutes before serving.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Store this cookie dough in the fridge.
- You can use chocolate chunks instead of chocolate chips.
- Nutritional values are an estimate and will vary depending on the exact ingredients used.
Hello! Can I use coconut milk from a can or does it require more of the beverage style from a tetra pack?
You can definitely use canned! Just make sure it's full fat and that you stir it will first so that it's nice and smooth.