These are the best chocolate orange energy balls. You will love how easy they are to make and that these energy bites have the most amazing orange chocolate flavour. They are healthy, gluten free and vegan too! They make the perfect on the go snack.
Why you will love this recipe:
- Orange and chocolate is the perfect flavour combination!
- These orange energy balls taste so good. They remind me of a Terry's chocolate orange.
- They are quick and easy to make.
- They are made with nourishing ingredients like dried fruits, raw nuts, shredded coconut and cacao powder.
- These are no sugar chocolate orange energy balls.
- These energy bites make the perfect snack, no bake dessert or after workout snack.
- There are no sweeteners in these chocolate energy bites because they just don't need them. They are naturally sweet from the fruit and nuts.
- They are vegan, plant based, GAPS, gluten free, grain free and dairy free.
Key ingredients and substitutions:
- Dates - dates are used to provide natural sweetness to these snack bites and create a nice sticky texture to hold these energy balls together.
- Raisins - raisins are used to add even more natural sweetness and fiber to this recipe.
- Cashews - cashews help add flavour and texture to these healthy snack bites. If you can't have cashews I would use almonds instead.
- Cocoa powder - cocoa powder provides that delicious chocolate flavour! You can also use cacao powder too.
- Oranges - you will use oranges for both the orange zest and the orange juice. This is what provides that delicious orange flavour which blends so perfectly with the chocolate.
How to make this recipe:
First, place all of the ingredients into your food processor.
Process until you reach the desired consistency (I still like to have some crunch to mine).
Using your palms form ~1 inch balls. Place the energy balls on a plate or tray and refrigerate them for about an hour. Then enjoy!
Tips and variations:
- Instead of cashews you could use almonds to make this recipe.
- Feel free to make a double or triple batch and freeze some of these chocolate orange energy balls for later.
How to store:
Store these in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
Frequently asked questions:
I recommend storing them in the fridge in an airtight container.
Absolutely! You can freeze them in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
While these energy balls are made without protein powder they still contain 3 grams of protein per serving so they do have a decent amount of protein in them.
Other recipes you will love:
- Orange chocolate fudge
- Orange chocolate muffins
- Peanut butter chocolate energy bites
- Chocolate coffee banana bread
- Healthy granola bars
Since you made it this far we are basically best friends so be sure to follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, TikTok and Facebook where I share even more recipes and healthy living tips! And don’t forget to leave this recipe a star review before you go!
Chocolate Orange Energy Balls
- 10 oz dates
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder (or cacao powder)
- 6 tablespoon melted coconut oil
- 2 navel oranges, for zest and juice
- Place all of the ingredients into your food processor.
- Process until desired consistency (I still like to have some crunch to mine).
- Using your palms form ~1 inch balls.
- Place the balls in the fridge for ~1 hour.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Store these energy balls in the fridge.
- You can either use cocoa powder or cacao powder for this recipe.
This looks delicious but unfortunately I'm very allergic to sunflower seeds. Would pumpkin seeds work instead?
Hey Terisa!I have not made this recipe with any other nuts or seeds so I honestly don't know if it would work. You are more than welcome to experiment on your own though.