These carrot cake donuts are going to become your new favourite dessert. They have the most incredible flavour and the perfect light and fluffy texture. This donut recipe is really easy to make and is made with healthy ingredients like shredded carrots, shredded apple, almond flour and honey.
Why you will love this recipe:
- These gluten free carrot cake donuts taste amazing! They are so rich and moist and the spices blend perfectly to give these donuts the best flavour.
- They are easy and simple to make in one bowl and the clean up nice and quick!
- They have the perfect texture. Slightly firm on the outside and nice and moist on the inside.
- They are made with healthy ingredients like shredded carrots, shredded apple, almond flour, and honey.
- Besides being paleo these donuts are also gluten free, dairy-free and refined sugar free.
- These carrot donuts can be eaten for breakfast, as a snack or as a healthy dessert.
- These donuts freeze really well so are great for meal prep.
- Kids love these donuts!
Taste and texture:
These donuts are sweet, super moist, and so light and fluffy. The combination of carrots, apples and spices gives these homemade donuts the most amazing flavour that everyone, including kids loves!
Key ingredients and substitutions:
- Almond flour - one of my favourite grain free and gluten free flours that's full of healthy fats and protein to help keep you satisfied for hours. Be sure you don't use almond meal by mistake. You could use cashew flour instead.
- Tapioca flour - to help give these donuts a nice light and fluffy texture. Don't confuse this with cassava flour! They are not the same.
- Shredded carrots - you can't make carrot cake without the carrots! Full of vitamins and minerals they help add moisture and natural sweetness to this recipe.
- Shredded apples - this surprise ingredient helps add more moisture, natural sweetness, vitamins and minerals to this donut recipe. Any type of sweet, red apple will work. My personal favourite are Gala, Pink Lady or Honeycrisp apples.
- Honey - one of my favourite natural sweeteners to add the perfect amount of sweet taste to these donuts. You could use maple syrup instead.
- Spices: the combination of cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and allspice blend perfectly to give these donuts that perfect fall flavour.
- Paleo Honey Glaze to glaze these donuts.
How to make this recipe:
First you'll preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
While the oven is heating, mix all the ingredients well using your standing mixer (or by hand if you don't have one).
Then transfer the dough to a donut mould and fill each mold until it is approximately 3/4 full.
Now bake the donuts for 20-22 minutes, until a toothpick inserted inside comes out clean.
Let the donuts cool and then add the glaze (I've included various glaze options in the recipe card). Then enjoy!
Tips and variations:
- If you don't tolerate almond flour I would use cashew flour instead.
- Do not substitute the tapioca flour for cassava flour. The donuts will not turn out!
- Do not try any other flour substitutions. They will not work! You will just waste valuable ingredients.
- You can use maple syrup instead of honey as a sweetener.
- Use room temperature eggs for best results.
How to store:
Store these donuts in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 7 days.
To freeze these donuts put them in an air tight container or bag without the icing. When you are ready to eat them, let them thaw on the counter or in the fridge and then add the icing when you are ready to eat them.
Frequently asked questions:
No they are not. This donut recipe contains eggs so they are not vegan. I have not tried making this recipe with any egg replacements, and I am not sure if it would work out or not. If you try it please let me know how it goes.
This donut recipe is not keto. It has fruit and honey it it making it high in carbohydrates which is not compatible with a keto or low carbohydrate diet.
Definitely not! These donuts won't work out.
Other recipes you will love:
Since you made it this far we are basically best friends so be sure to follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, TikTok and Facebook where I share even more recipes and healthy living tips! And don’t forget to leave this recipe a star review before you go!
Carrot Cake Donuts
- 2 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1 cup tapioca flour
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon aluminum-free baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1 cup grated red apple
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon organic vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- Add all of the ingredients to your standing mixer.
- Mix on low until blended well.
- Spoon the batter into your donut molds and spread until even (you want each donut mold to be about 3/4 full).
- Place in the oven and cook for ~20 minutes (or until a toothpick inserted inside comes out clean).
- Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Add the icing and then enjoy!
- This recipe yields 15 donuts.
- Nutritional values are estimates and do not include the icing.
- You can use maple syrup instead of honey.
- You can use any type of sweet red apple that you like. My favourites are Gala, Pink Lady or Honeycrisp.
These sound amazing! Do you think the eggs could be replaced with geletin eggs? And the honey swapped with maple syrup?
You could definitely use maple syrup... as for switching out the eggs I haven't tried that so can't guarantee it would work...
Is the dough supposed to be thick or smooth?
Definitely thick due to the grated apple and grated carrot.