This is the best dairy free chocolate donuts recipe! These donuts are so rich and chocolatey and taste just like a chocolate donut hole. Made with almond flour they are also gluten free, paleo, and refined sugar free. And they’re ready in just 20 minutes!
Why you will love this recipe:
- These gluten free dairy free chocolate donuts have the best flavour! So rich and chocolatey they taste just like a classic donut hole.
- They are really easy to make and come together in less than 20 minutes from start to finish.
- Move over Katz, Dunkin Donuts, Make it, and Krispy Kreme, these are the best dairy free chocolate donuts!
- Even though these donuts are gluten free they have the perfect light and fluffy texture.
- Not only are these donuts dairy, free but they are also refined sugar free, and paleo so they are a healthy donut recipe compared to most other donut recipes.
- These donuts are made without milk and without butter so they are lactose free too!
Key ingredients and substitutions:
- Almond flour – to help give these donuts the perfect texture while keeping them gluten free and grain free. Almond flour is great for baking and is full of healthy fats and protein. You could swap this for cashew flour instead.
- Cacao powder – for that rich chocolate flavour. You can use either cacao powder or cocoa powder to make these donuts.
- Tapioca flour – to help give these donuts a light and fluffy texture. I do not recommend trying to replace this with another flour.
- Coconut flour – to add the perfect crisp edges. Do not try replacing this with another flour.
- Full fat coconut milk – this adds moisture and healthy fat to these donuts. You could swap this for another dairy free milk such as cashew milk, oat milk or almond milk too.
- Honey or maple syrup – my favourite refined sugar free sweeteners!
- Eggs – to help bind the ingredients and give them a nice fluffy texture. I don’t recommend trying to make these donuts egg free or without eggs. This is not a vegan chocolate donut recipe.
How to make this recipe:
First you will preheat your oven to 350 degrees Farhenheit.
Next add all the ingredients to a large bowl and stir them well to combine into a smooth dough.
Now transfer the dough to a silicone donut mold, filling each mold to approximately 3/4 full.
Then bake the donuts for 13-15 minutes, until a toothpick inserted inside comes out clean.
To make the icing, heat the chocolate bar and coconut oil together in a microwave safe dish, at 30 second intervals on high heat, until melted.
Once the donuts are cooled, finish the donuts by drizzling the icing over each donut. Then enjoy!
- Use room temperature eggs to make these donuts as this helps them become more light and fluffy.
- These donuts are best served once they have cooled completely.
- Cool these donuts more quickly by cooling them on a cooling rack.
- Feel free to top the icing with other things such as chocolate shavings, shredded coconut, cacao nibs etc
- These donuts freeze really well. I recommend freezing them without the icing and then adding the icing later when you are ready to eat them.
Variations and add ins:
- Instead of coconut oil you could try using a vegan butter instead.
- You can use either honey or maple syrup to sweeten these donuts.
- You can use cocoa powder or cacao powder to make this donut recipe.
- Instead of coconut milk you can use another dairy free milk such as almond milk or cashew milk.
How to store:
Store any leftover donuts in the fridge in an air tight container for up to 7 days.
Frequently asked questions
To make donuts without milk you can use dairy free milks such as coconut milk, almond milk or oat milk.
No they are not. They do contain eggs which are not allowed on a vegan diet. While these donuts are not vegan, I have many other vegan recipes that you can enjoy instead.
Yes, in addition to being both gluten free and dairy free this is also a paleo chocolate donut recipe.
Other dairy free desserts you will love:
- Dairy Free Brownies with Caramel
- Paleo Turtle Bars
- Chocolate Orange Fudge
- Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Chocolate Avocado Torte
- Chocolate Avocado Mousse
Since you made it this far we are basically best friends so be sure to follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, TikTok and Facebook where I share even more recipes and healthy living tips! And don’t forget to leave this recipe a star review before you go!
Dairy Free Chocolate Donuts
- 1 dairy free chocolate bar
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl add all the dry and wet ingredients and stir well to combine.
- Transfer the dough to a silicone donut pan, filling each donut to ~3/4 full.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes, until a toothpick inserted inside comes out clean.
- Break the chocolate bar into pieces and place them and the coconut oil into a microwave safe dish.
- Melt the ingredients by microwaving on high at 30 second intervals, until the chocolate bar melts.
- Stir the ingredients together to combine.
- Spoon the melted chocolate over the donuts.
- Allow the iced donuts to cool before serving.
- This recipe yields 12 donuts.
- Use room temperate eggs to make these donuts.
- Nutritional values will vary depending on the exact ingredients you use.