These dairy free chocolate donuts are the perfect dessert. So rich and chocolatey, they taste just like a donut hole. They’re also gluten free, paleo, and refined sugar free. And they’re ready in just 20 minutes!
Why you will love this recipe:
- These donuts have the best flavour! So rich and chocolatey they taste just like a classic donut hole.
- They are really easy to make and come together in less than 20 minutes from start to finish.
- Even though these donuts are gluten free they have the perfect light and fluffy texture.
- Not only are these donuts dairy, free but they are also gluten free, refined sugar free, and paleo so they are a healthy donut recipe compared to most other donut recipes.
Key ingredients and equipment:
- Silicone donut molds – I have found using silicone donut molds is the easiest way to cook donuts. They work so much better than donut pans – these are the silicone donut molds I use.
- Almond flour – to help give these donuts the perfect texture while keeping them gluten free – this is the brand I use and love.
- Cacao powder – for that rich chocolate flavour – this is the kind I love.
- Tapioca flour – to help give these donuts a light and fluffy texture – I use this kind.
- Coconut flour – to add the perfect crisp edges – I use this brand.
- Coconut oil – one of my favourite dairy free baking oils – this is the brand I love.
- Baking soda – I use this kind because it’s aluminium free .
- Full fat coconut milk – this brand uses BPA free cans and is guar gum free.
- Honey or maple syrup – my favourite refined sugar free sweeteners!
- Eggs – to help bind the ingredients and give them a nice fluffy texture.
- 1 dairy free chocolate bar – this is the brand I use and love because it’s sweetened with coconut sugar.
How to make this recipe:
You are going to love how quick and easy these donuts are to make!
Step one: first you will preheat your oven to 350F.
Step two: next add all the ingredients to a large bowl and stir them well to combine into a smooth dough.
Step three: now transfer the dough to a silicone donut mold, filling each mold to approximately 3/4 full.
Step four: then bake the donuts for 13-15 minutes, until a toothpick inserted inside comes out clean.
Step five: to make the icing, heat the chocolate bar and coconut oil together in a microwave safe dish, at 30 second intervals on high heat, until melted.
Step six: once the donuts are cooled, finish the donuts by drizzling the icing over each donut. Then enjoy!
- Use room temperature eggs to make these donuts as this helps them become more light and fluffy.
- These donuts are best served once they have cooled completely.
- Cool these donuts more quickly by cooling them on a cooling rack.
- Feel free to top the icing with other things such as chocolate shavings, shredded coconut, cacao nibs etc
- They store well in the fridge in an air tight container for up to 7 days.
- These donuts freeze really well. I recommend freezing them without the icing and then adding the icing later when you are ready to eat them.
Variations and add ins:
- Instead of coconut oil you could try using a vegan butter instead.
- You can use either honey or maple syrup to sweeten these donuts.
- Instead of coconut milk you can use another dairy free milk such as almond milk or cashew milk.
Frequently asked questions
Are donuts dairy free?
Most donuts are not dairy free but these donuts are! They are made with coconut oil and coconut milk to keep them dairy free.
What are gluten free donuts made of?
These gluten free chocolate donuts are made from almond flour, tapioca flour and coconut flour. Some gluten free donut recipes will use gluten free all purpose flour instead.
Are these donuts vegan?
No they are not. They do contain eggs which are not allowed on a vegan diet. While these donuts are not vegan, I have many other vegan recipes that you can enjoy instead.
Are these donuts Whole30 compliant?
No they are not. Desserts and baked goods are not allowed on the Whole30 program.
Can I use different flours for this recipe?
I do not recommend making any flour substitutions. I cannot guarantee they would work out.
Other desserts you will love:
- Dairy Free Brownies with Caramel
- Paleo Turtle Bars
- Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Chocolate Orange Fudge
- Chocolate Avocado Torte
- Chocolate Avocado Mousse
SINCE YOU MADE IT THIS FAR WE ARE BASICALLY BEST FRIENDS SO BE SURE TO FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST AND FACEBOOK WHERE I SHARE EVEN MORE RECIPES AND HEALTHY LIVING TIPS! AND DON’T FORGET TO LEAVE THIS RECIPE A STAR REVIEW BEFORE YOU GO!
Dairy Free Chocolate Donuts
These dairy free chocolate donuts are the perfect dessert! Rich and chocolately they are also gluten free and paleo.
- 1 dairy free chocolate bar
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
Preheat your oven to 350F.
In a large bowl add all the dry and wet ingredients and stir well to combine.
Transfer the dough to a silicone donut pan, filling each donut to ~3/4 full.
Bake for 13-15 minutes, until a toothpick inserted inside comes out clean.
Break the chocolate bar into pieces and place them and the coconut oil into a microwave safe dish.
Melt the ingredients by microwaving on high at 30 second intervals, until the chocolate bar melts.
Stir the ingredients together to combine.
Spoon the melted chocolate over the donuts.
Allow the iced donuts to cool before serving.
- This recipe yields 12 donuts.
- Use room temperate eggs to make these donuts.
- Nutritional values will vary depending on the exact ingredients you use.
Pin this recipe for later: