This is the best dairy free Alfredo sauce recipe! It is so rich and creamy and it's made with cashews, coconut milk and nutritional yeast. This Alfredo sauce is milk free, butter free, vegan and paleo. It's so easy to make and is perfect for pasta, chicken or fish dishes.
Why you will love this recipe:
- Move over Primal Kitchen! This vegan Alfredo sauce tastes incredible! So creamy and rich you would never guess that it's dairy free.
- It's not only dairy free but is also lactose free, butter free, milk free, paleo, vegan and Whole30 compliant.
- It's so easy to make! You just throw everything in your Vitamix or other high speed blender and blend all the ingredients together.
- It makes great leftovers and freezes really well.
- This Alfredo sauce is made with cashews and coconut milk which give it a rich, creamy texture.
- You can use this sauce for so many recipes including pasta dishes, chicken dishes or the base of a delicious casserole.
- If you prefer a pasta sauce with no nuts you will love this vegan cheese sauce.
Key ingredients and substitutions:
- Raw cashews - cashews are a great dairy free replacement for cream or milk in recipes. When blended, the raw cashews turn so rich and creamy and give this no dairy Alfredo sauce the most incredible texture.
- Coconut milk - coconut milk blends perfectly with the cashews to give this sauce that rich, creamy flavour that Alfredo Sauce is known for. I recommend using full fat coconut milk. If you can't have coconut milk you could use cashew milk, almond milk or oat milk instead.
- Nutritional yeast - nutritional yeast is used instead of cheese, to give this Alfredo sauce a cheesy flavour, without any dairy.
- Lemon juice - to help balance out the flavours in this non dairy Alfredo sauce recipe.
- Italian seasoning - to add the perfect amount of flavour to this delicious creamy sauce.
How to make this recipe:
First, place all the ingredients into your Vitamix or other high speed blender.
Then blend the ingredients well until they are smooth.
How to use Alfredo sauce:
- It's the perfect sauce for topping pasta dishes.
- Use it to make dairy free chicken Alfredo!
- If you are paleo or on the Whole30 diet make vegetable noodles (zucchini, carrot and sweet potato noodles are my favourite) and use this as your sauce.
- This sauce is perfect on chicken and fish dishes.
- Use this sauce to top vegetable dishes or as a base for casseroles.
- It freezes really well so feel free to make a double batch and save half for later.
- This recipe is adaptable. If you don't tolerate white onion, use green onions instead. If you don't tolerate garlic use garlic infused olive oil instead.
How to store:
Store this sauce in the fridge in an air tight jar or container for up to 7 days.
Frequently asked questions:
Instead of milk, raw cashews and coconut milk blend perfectly together and are the best substitute for milk in Alfredo sauce.
Normally yes. Most Alfredo recipes call for cream and butter, milk and cheese but you can make your own dairy free Alfredo Sauce, or buy a pre-made dairy free version at the store.
Cashews and coconut milk are great ways to get the same creamy texture of dairy without actually using dairy.
Yes! Instead of cheese you can use nutritional yeast which gives a cheese-like flavour, without the dairy.
No, Bertolli Alfredo sauce is not dairy free as it is made with dairy cream. This means it is not lactose free or vegan either.
Other recipes you will love:
- Dairy Free Potato Soup
- Vegan Pumpkin Risotto
- Carrot Dip with Chilis
- Vegan Sour Cream
- Cauliflower Fried Rice
- No Mayo Asian Coleslaw
- Vegan Mac and Cheese
- Dairy Free Sun-dried Tomato Pasta
Since you made it this far we are basically best friends so be sure to follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, TikTok and Facebook where I share even more recipes and healthy living tips! And don’t forget to leave this recipe a star review before you go!
Dairy Free Alfredo Sauce
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup chopped white onion (you can substitute with green onion)
- 1 clove garlic minced (or use 1 teaspoon garilc infused olive oil if sensitive to garlic)
- 2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (or more to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Add all the ingredients to your high speed blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Note: You will want to heat the sauce before serving over pasta or other dishes.
- This sauce freezes really well so feel free to make a double batch and save half for later.
- Use this sauce for pasta, chicken or fish dishes.
- Nutritional values are an estimate and will vary depending on the exact ingredients used and serving size.
So yummy!! 🙂
yay so glad you love it!
This is my favorite recipe! So creamy and delicious. I added more Italian spice which I love . Thank you for this recipe.
Oh I am so glad you like it!!! Thanks so much for your support.
hi when you say coconut milk do you mean the canned kind? If so does it taste like coconut thank you love your site
Hey! So either canned coconut milk or coconut milk in the carton will work. Just make sure it's full fat.
And I personally don't think it tastes like coconut but it might depend on how sensitive your taste buds are?
Thanks so much for following!