You are going to love this Mexican carne asada seasoning recipe! It's so easy to make and will give your carne asada the most incredible flavour. You can use this homemade seasoning mix in so many ways and by making it yourself it's healthier and cheaper than buying pre-made mixes at the grocery store!
Why you will love this recipe:
- This homemade seasoning blend is the best carne asada seasoning. It has the most amazing and authentic Mexican flavour.
- It's so quick and easy to make.
- It's healthier and cheaper to make your own seasoning mixes rather than buying pre-made ones at the grocery store.
- This seasoning stores really well so it's great for meal prep.
- It's great to use as a taco seasoning for taco night! It helps make the most amazing tacos!
- This Mexican seasoning blend can be used in so many ways including for making both a wet marinade or dry rub.
- This homemade carne asada blend is naturally gluten free, sugar free, dairy free, vegan, low carb, keto and Whole30 compliant.
Taste and texture:
This authentic carne asada recipe is the perfect blend of spices that your taste buds will love! Like many Mexican recipes this one is full of flavour with just a little heat.
Key ingredients and substitutions:
For the full ingredient list and exact measurements refer to the recipe card at the end of this post. You should be able to find all of these simple ingredients and wonderful spices at any local grocery store.
- Oregano - dried oregano gives so much flavour to this seasoning blend. You can either use organic oregano, Mexican oregano or non-organic oregano.
- Ground cumin - cumin powder helps give this seasoning mix such an authentic Mexican flavour. Be sure to use cumin powder or ground cumin and not cumin seeds.
- Sea salt - I love the flavour that sea salt gives to seasonings but if you don't have sea salt you can use regular salt too.
- Black pepper - If you don't have ground black pepper you could also use ground white pepper.
- Garlic powder - Almost ever home cook has garlic powder in their spice drawer or spice rack. It helps give this spice mix the most delicious flavour.
- Onion powder - Another classic ingredient in Mexican spice mixes is onion powder. Be sure to use onion powder rather than dehydrated onion or onion flakes.
- Smoked paprika - to help give this favorite seasoning mix a delicious smoky flavour. If you don't have smoked paprika you can use regular paprika instead.
- Chili powder - To help give this spice blend a little heat. You can adjust the spice levels by adding more or less, depending on your preferences.
- Tajin - Tajin Classico is a delicious Mexican spice mix used in classic Mexican cooking and Mexican food. It has an amazing chile-lime flavour! You may have to go to a Mexican grocery store to find it or shop for it online. If you don't have this you could simply leave it out of the recipe.
How to make:
First, place all the ingredients into a small bowl or mason jar.
Mix everything well until the seasonings are well combined.
Chef's tips and recipe substitutions:
- If you can't find Tajin seasoning simply omit it from the recipe or use another chile-lime spice blend.
- You can use either smoked paprika or regular paprika to make this spice mix.
- If you like a spicier seasoning mix add more chili powder or some cayenne pepper to this flavorful carne asada blend.
- Depending on your personal preference, if you want a sweeter spice blend you can add a little brown sugar or coconut sugar to this spice rub.
- Feel free to double or triple this recipe if you want to save more for later or if you are serving a crowd and want a large batch.
How to use:
You can use this carne asada seasoning blend to make the most delicious authentic carne asada dry rub or a carne asada marinade.
To make carne asada, squeeze some fresh lime juice and orange juice onto both sides of a thawed flank steak, flap steak or skirt steak. Then coat both sides of the beef with the spice blend. If you have time, refrigerate the meat for up to two hours or until you're ready to cook the carne asada. The longer you marinade the meat the more flavour it will be. You can either grill, oven bake or pan fry the steak to make carne asada. You can serve the seasoned meat as a steak, or cut it into pieces to make carne asada tacos!
Instead of for beef you can also use this dry seasoning blend for chicken, pork, turkey or other meats too.
You can also use this spice blend to make carne asada fries!
It also works really well as a taco seasoning for different types of tacos including ground beef tacos, ground turkey tacos, fish tacos or chicken tacos.
Carne asada pairs well with many different sides including:
- Mexican rice or Spanish rice
- Cauliflower rice
- Pico de gallo
- Refried beans
- Sour cream
How to store:
Store this seasoning in an airtight jar (a glass mason jar works well for this) or spice bottle. It's best if stored in a container or jar with a tight-fitting lid. It stores well for months at room temperature.
Store any leftover carne asada meat in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Frequently asked questions:
Depending on the seasonings used to make carne asada seasoning it can be either spicy or mild.
Yes it is.
When cooking carne asada it is commonly cooked to a medium-rare doneness but you can cook it to whatever doneness you prefer.
Other recipes you will love:
Since you made it this far we are basically best friends so be sure to follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, TikTok and Facebook where I share even more recipes and healthy living tips! And don’t forget to leave this recipe a star review before you go!
Carne Asada Seasoning
- Add all of the ingredients to a small bowl or jar.
- Mix well until the herbs and spices are well mixed.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Nutritional values are an estimate and will vary depending on the exact ingredients used.
- Store this spice mix in an airtight jar or spice jar.