You are going to love cooking soft boiled eggs in microwave! These microwave soft boiled eggs are so easy and simple and it only takes only 7 minutes to cook them! All you’ll need are some eggs, water and salt. No pots, no pans, no boiling water and no mess!
Why you will love this recipe:
- It’s so quick and easy!
- It only takes 7 minutes to cook the perfect soft boiled eggs in a microwave.
- All you need are 3 simple ingredients: water, eggs and salt.
- Soft boiled eggs are a healthy breakfast, brunch or snack option.
- There is no waiting for water to boil like there is when you make eggs on the stovetop.
- The clean up is so simple since you aren’t using any pots or pans.
- This recipe is Whole30 compliant, Paleo, Keto, low carb, high in protein, low sugar, nut free, oil free, gluten free and dairy free.
- Do you prefer hard boiled egg? If so, make hard boiled eggs in a microwave instead!
Ingredients and substitutions:
- Eggs – packed full of protein as well as vitamins and minerals eggs make a great simple, satisfying meal or snack. I use large size eggs that are pasture raised.
- Salt – this is needed to help prevent the eggs from exploding in the microwave so please don’t leave it out!
- Water – you need the water to cover the eggs when they cook in the microwave. The amount of water will depend on how many eggs you use, and the size of the bowl you use to cook the eggs in.
Health benefits of eggs:
Eggs have so many great nutritional benefits! Eggs are naturally high in protein, sugar free, and low in carbs.
Each large sized egg contains approximately 72 calories, 6,3 grams of protein, 4.8 grams of fat and less than 1 gram of carbohydrates.
Eggs are also high in certain vitamins including Vitamin D, choline and Vitamin B12. In fact, eggs are one of the best sources of choline, with each large egg containing 147 mg of choline, which is about 25% of your day’s choline requirement from just one egg. Eggs are also a good source of calcium and protein.
Plus eggs, being an animal protein, contain all the essential amino acids. Not only are eggs nutritional powerhouses, but they are so delicious!
Benefits of using a microwave:
Cooking soft boiled eggs in a microwave has a number of advantages over cooking them on the stovetop. It takes less time as you don’t have to wait for the water to boil. It only takes 6 minutes to cook soft boiled eggs in the microwave! You also don’t have to worry about the shell cracking when you put the egg in the boiling water (which can happen when you use the stove). Additionally, you don’t have to worry about cleaning any pots and pans!
Plus, microwave soft boiled eggs are great for those without access to a stovetop. This is especially convenient for college students in dorms and those who are traveling in an RV. As well, many hotel rooms have microwaves but no stoves.
How to make this recipe:
First, place the eggs in microwave safe bowl that is fairly deep. Add the salt and enough water to cover the eggs.
Now place the bowl in the microwave and heat the eggs on high for 3 minutes. Then let it rest for 1 minute. Then heat the eggs on high for another 3 minutes.
Remove the bowl from the microwave and immediately add ice to the bowl or run the eggs under cold water to prevent them from cooking further.
Then serve and enjoy!
- Don’t leave out the salt! This is used to prevent the eggs from exploding in the microwave. You need 1/2 teaspoon of salt for every egg you use, so if you decide to cook additional eggs, be sure to increase the salt.
- Be careful when taking the bowl out of the microwave. It will be very hot so be sure to use hot pads or oven mitts.
- Use a microwave safe bowl that is fairly deep. This prevents any water from bubbling over in the microwave.
- I used large eggs for this recipe. If you use smaller or larger eggs you may need to adjust the cooking time.
- Due to differences in microwaves, cooking times may vary slightly.
Variations and add ins:
- I like my soft boiled eggs to have a really runny yolk – if you prefer a little firmer yolk, add an extra minute of cooking time to this recipe.
- Feel free to cook as many or as few eggs as you like – just be sure to adjust the amount of salt according to the number of eggs you are using – the proper ratio is 1/2 teaspoon of salt per egg.
How to serve soft boiled eggs:
- You can simply eat them right out of the shell. Use a sharp knife to cut the egg in half and then scoop the egg out of the shell with a spoon.
- Soft boiled eggs are delicious on toast. I simply top mine with a little salt and pepper.
- Serve them with crispy Instant Pot Bacon.
- Serve them with sausages cooked in the air fryer.
- Serve them with hash browns!
Frequently asked questions:
Can you microwave soft boiled eggs?
Yes you can soft boil eggs in a microwave. This method is quick and easy and the clean up is so simple.
Is it bad to microwave boiled eggs?
No. Boiling eggs in the microwave is such an easy and quick way to cook them.
How do you prevent eggs from exploding in a microwave?
The key is to add salt to the water when you cook eggs in a microwave. The proper ratio is 1/2 teaspoon of salt per egg that you cook. You also need to cook the eggs in a large, deep bowl. Don’t try using a small bowl or a glass.
Are eggs dairy free?
Yes! Eggs come from chickens, so they are dairy free.
Are eggs gluten free?
Other easy recipes you will love:
- Instant pot bacon
- Microwave hard boiled eggs
- Air fryer toast
- Air fryer hash browns
- Chicken omelette
- Oat milk smoothie
- Air fryer sausages
SINCE YOU MADE IT THIS FAR WE ARE BASICALLY BEST FRIENDS SO BE SURE TO FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, TIKTOK AND FACEBOOK WHERE I SHARE EVEN MORE RECIPES AND HEALTHY LIVING TIPS! AND DON’T FORGET TO LEAVE THIS RECIPE A STAR REVIEW BEFORE YOU GO!
Soft Boiled Eggs in Microwave
You will love soft boiled eggs in microwave! They are so easy to make and are ready in just 7 minutes. Soft boiled eggs are an easy healthy snack or breakfast.
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp salt
Place the eggs in a bowl and add enough water to fully cover the eggs. Add the salt to the bowl of water with the eggs.
Place the bowl in the microwave and heat the eggs on high for 3 minutes. Then let it rest for 1 minute. Then heat the eggs on high for another 3 minutes.
Immediately add ice to the bowl or run the eggs under cold water to prevent them from cooking further.
Serve and enjoy!
- DO NOT omit the salt from this recipe. If you leave out the salt the eggs may explode in the microwave.
- Be sure to use enough water to cover the eggs.
Pin this recipe for later: