This Vegan Pumpkin Risotto has the most incredible flavour. Rich and creamy with hints of pumpkin, cinnamon and sage you will love the cheesy flavour that the nutritional yeast gives it. This recipe is easy to make and is also gluten free and dairy free!
Why this is the best vegan pumpkin risotto:
- It’s so rich and creamy and has the most delicious flavour with hints of pumpkin, cinnamon and herbs
- It has a nice and cheesy texture from the addition of nutritional yeast, yet is completely dairy free
- It’s really easy to make and makes great leftovers
What you need to make this vegan pumpkin risotto:
- Arborio rice – short grain rice is key for making risotto!
- A white onion
- Cooked pumpkin or squash (canned pureed pumpkin also works)
- Vegetable broth – try to find a brand that doesn’t add sugar
- Full fat coconut milk – Don’t try using light coconut milk, the taste won’t be as rich!
- Coconut oil – this is the brand I use and love
- Nutritional yeast – this gives it the best cheese like taste!
- Sea salt, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg and dried thyme
Tips for this risotto:
- Not all types of rice work for risotto, but besides Arborio you can also use other Italian short-grain rice varieties like Carnaroli, Vialone, Nano, and Baldo. Just note that I have not tested this recipe with any other type of rice so you may need to adjust the cooking time if you try a different one.
- If you don’t tolerate coconut, I would use cashew milk instead
- This risotto makes great leftovers and keeps well in the fridge
- Feel free to add other vegetables such as cooked vegetables or spinach to this risotto to give it a different flavour
- If you don’t want to cook a pumpkin yourself, canned pumpkin works great for this recipe
Frequently asked questions:
The most common type of rice used is Arborio but you can also use other short grain rices including Carnaroli, Vialone, Nano, and Baldo. Short-grain rice has a high starch content and tends to absorb less liquid, resulting in a thicker, more creamy risotto.
Yes! I have tried this recipe with homemade cooked pumpkin and canned and both work well.
Other recipes you will love:
- Chicken and Leek Risotto
- Vegan Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Vegan Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Soup
- Paleo Pumpkin Chocolate Muffins
SINCE YOU MADE IT THIS FAR WE ARE BASICALLY BEST FRIENDS SO BE SURE TO FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST AND FACEBOOK WHERE I SHARE EVEN MORE RECIPES AND HEALTHY LIVING TIPS! AND DON’T FORGET TO LEAVE THIS RECIPE A STAR REVIEW BEFORE YOU GO!
Vegan Pumpkin Risotto
This vegan pumpkin risotto is so rich and creamy! You will love its delicious flavour and how easy it is to make! It's also gluten free and dairy free!
Add the coconut oil to a large pot and let it melt. Once melted add the chopped onion and cook for ~5 minutes, until it is transluscent
Add the remaining ingredients to the pot and stir everything well to combine
Allow the ingredients to simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent the rice from sticking to the bottom of the pot, until it has the consistency that you like
Turn off the heat and place the lid on the pot. Let it stand for 5 minutes to allow the rice to soften even more
Serve and enjoy!
- Be sure to use full fat coconut milk and not light coconut milk for this recipe
- If you don’t tolerate coconut I recommend using cashew milk instead
- This recipe makes great leftovers and stores well in the fridge
Pin this recipe for later: