This dairy free Mac and cheese is the ultimate comfort food. So creamy and rich, not only is this cheese sauce dairy free but it’s also vegan, paleo and Whole30. Plus this sauce is really easy to make and ready in under 5 minutes!
I could not be more excited to share this dairy free Mac and cheese recipe with you! Mac and cheese is pretty much the ultimate comfort food and I finally created a version that is cheese free, yet still tastes amazing. The secret to this Mac and cheese is the sauce: made with cashews, nutritional yeast and carrots to give it the perfect cheesy taste without the dairy!
Why this Dairy Free Mac and Cheese is so good:
- The dairy free cheese sauce is so creamy, rich and delicious
- Not only is this Mac and cheese dairy free but the sauce is also paleo, vegan and Whole30 compliant
- It’s so easy to make and the sauce is ready in less than 5 minutes
- This Mac and cheese makes great leftovers
- Turn this dish into a complete meal by adding cooked chicken, beef or pork!
The tools you will need to make this Mac and Cheese:
How to make this Dairy Free Mac and Cheese:
You will love how easy this recipe is to make!
- First make your pasta as per the instructions on the package
- While the pasta is cooking make the cheese sauce by placing all the ingredients into your Vitamix blender and blending well until smooth
- Once the pasta is done, drain and rinse it and pour the cheese sauce over the noodles and stir it well
- Serve and enjoy!
Tips for this Dairy Free Mac and Cheese:
- Turn this into a complete meal by adding cooked chicken, pork or beef
- If you don’t have a Vitamix blender you will likely need to soak the cashews for a few hours before blending
- Add some vegetables such as cooked broccoli or cauliflower for some extra vitamins and minerals!
- If you can’t have coconut milk, I would try substituting cashew milk or almond milk instead
- If you like a thinner sauce, add a bit more water or coconut milk to the recipe
- The carrots in the sauce are used to give this vegan cheese sauce a nice orange color
- This sauce keeps well in fridge for up to a week after you make it
How to make this Mac and cheese paleo:
Use noodles that are grain free! Some options include zucchini noodles, carrot noodles, sweet potato noodles or these heart of palm noodles.
How to make this Mac and cheese Whole30 compliant:
Use vegetable noodles! Options include carrot noodles, sweet potato noodles, parsnip noodles or zucchini noodles. These noodles made from heart of palm would also work!
What can you use instead of milk in Mac and cheese?
This Mac and cheese uses coconut milk to make it dairy free. You could also try using a nut milk such as cashew or almond milk.
Other dairy free recipes you will love:
- Paleo Teriyaki Chicken and Broccoli
- Mexican Cauliflower Rice with Shrimp
- Vegan Alfredo Sauce
- Whole30 Meatloaf with Blueberries
- Teriyaki Vegetable Stir Fry
SINCE YOU MADE IT THIS FAR WE ARE BASICALLY BEST FRIENDS SO BE SURE TO FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST AND FACEBOOK WHERE I SHARE EVEN MORE RECIPES AND HEALTHY LIVING TIPS! AND DON’T FORGET TO LEAVE THIS RECIPE A STAR REVIEW BEFORE YOU GO!
Dairy Free Mac and Cheese (vegan, paleo, Whole30)
This dairy free mac and cheese is so creamy and rich. The perfect comfort food that is also vegan, paleo and Whole30 and ready in less than 15 minutes.
- 16 oz pasta of choice
Prepare the pasta as per the instructions on the package (while the pasta is cooking make the cheese sauce)
Rinse and drain the pasta and then add the cheese sauce
Cheese Sauce Instructions
Place all the ingredients into your Vitamix Blender
Blend well until smooth
Pour over the pasta and stir well to combine
Serve and enjoy!
- If you like a thinner sauce feel free to add extra water or coconut milk
- You can substitute cashew milk or almond milk for the coconut milk
Pin this recipe for later: