This is the best vegan sour cream recipe! It is so good that you would never know it’s dairy free. Easy to make with only five ingredients including cashews and coconut milk, it’s the perfect topping for baked potatoes. It also makes a great dip and is Whole30, paleo low in sugar too!
Why you will love this recipe:
- This plant based sour cream is made with just a few simple ingredients including cashews, coconut milk, sea salt, apple cider vinegar and lemon juice.
- It’s so creamy and delicious! It’s the perfect topping for baked potatoes and also makes a great dip for crackers, chips or raw vegetables and goes great with nachos.
- This sour cream is dairy free and is paleo and Whole30 compliant.
- This paleo sour cream is surprisingly easy to make and comes together in just minutes in your food processor or blender.
- This sour cream is made with no yogurt and no tofu.
Key ingredients and equipment:
- A food processor or high speed blender (like a Vitamix) – this is the food processor that I use and love.
- Raw cashews – these form the base of this creamy sour cream. If you can’t have cashews I would use pine nuts instead.
- Coconut milk – I recommend using full fat coconut milk to keep this sour cream thick and creamy.
- Sea salt – just a pinch is all you need to enhance the flavours of this recipe.
- Apple cider vinegar – to help give this recipe that perfect tangy taste, just like sour cream.
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice – to add just a bit more sour flavour to bring it as close as possible to true sour cream.
How to make this dairy free sour cream:
Step one: place all the ingredients into your food processor or high speed blender.
Step two: blend everything well until it’s smooth and creamy.
- You may want to add a little extra apple cider vinegar, lemon juice or water if you want a slightly thinner texture.
- If you still have some of this sour cream left you can store it in the fridge for up to a week. Just note that it will firm up in the fridge (see the next time for how to deal with this).
- This sour cream will become firm in the fridge. If you want to make it creamy again simply place it back in your food processor with a little extra liquid (choose from lemon juice, apple cider vinegar or water) and blend it until smooth.
How to use sour cream:
- Use this sour cream to top baked potatoes or sweet potatoes.
- Use it as a dip for your favourite crackers or tortilla chips.
- Use this sour cream as a dip for raw vegetables.
- Use it to top nachos!
Frequently asked questions:
This vegan sour cream recipe is made with cashews and coconut milk as the base and then adds apple cider vinegar, lemon juice and salt to give it that perfect tangy flavour.
Can you have sour cream on paleo?
The paleo diet does not allow dairy, so you cannot have regular dairy sour cream on the paleo diet, but you can eat this dairy free sour cream recipe.
Is sour cream Whole30 approved?
Sour cream is not Whole30 approved. The Whole30 program does not allow dairy and as such sour cream is not to be eaten while you are doing a Whole30. However, this dairy free sour cream recipe is Whole30 compliant because it’s made with cashews and coconut milk which are allowed.
What is plant based sour cream made of?
Plant based sour cream recipes can be made with various ingredients including dairy free yogurt, cashews, tofu, coconut milk, coconut cream or pine nuts.
Is Chipotle sour cream vegan?
No it is not. Chipotle sour cream is made with 100% cultured cream which is a dairy product, and thus not vegan compatible.
Other recipes you will love:
- Vegan Mascarpone
- Vegan Cauliflower Soup
- Vegan Asian Coleslaw
- Dairy Free Brownies with Caramel
- Vegan Cilantro Lime Dressing
- Paleo Cauliflower Fried Rice
- Vegan Mac and Cheese
SINCE YOU MADE IT THIS FAR WE ARE BASICALLY BEST FRIENDS SO BE SURE TO FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST AND FACEBOOK WHERE I SHARE EVEN MORE RECIPES AND HEALTHY LIVING TIPS! AND DON’T FORGET TO LEAVE THIS RECIPE A STAR REVIEW BEFORE YOU GO!
Vegan Sour Cream
A vegan version of sour cream that is so easy to make and tastes so creamy and delicious. You'll love that it's also dairy free, paleo and Whole30 compliant.
Place all of the ingredients into your food processor.
Blend the ingredients until smooth.
Serve and enjoy!
- Depending on your preference, feel free to add more liquid (more lemon juice, apple cider vinegar or water) to give it a thinner texture.
- Store this vegan sour cream in the fridge for up to a week.
- This will become firm in the fridge. Simply add a bit more liquid and blend it again in your food processor to make it smooth.
Pin this recipe for later: