Vegan sour cream is so good that you would never know it’s dairy free. Easy to make with only five ingredients it’s the perfect topping for baked potatoes. It also makes a great dip and is Whole30, paleo and keto-friendly.
Confession: I hated sour cream growing up. That tangy flavour just didn’t do it for me. But as a grown up with much more mature taste buds (joking) I now love the flavour. So when I totally gave up dairy 8 years ago (seriously how has it been that long!?) when I switched to the paleo diet sour cream was one of those things I thought I would never have again. And I didn’t think too much about it until recently, when I added potatoes back into my diet. You see, baked potatoes with sour cream are basically the best thing ever and I felt like I was missing out. Every time Erik would top his baked potatoes with sour cream I couldn’t help but feel just a little jealous. So I finally decided to do something about it. And I created this vegan sour cream. And I am pretty darn impressed with how it turned out. Even my dairy eating friends who have tried this vegan sour cream think it tastes pretty darn delicious.
You can use this vegan sour cream in so many ways! It’s not just for topping potatoes. It also makes a great dip for chips, crackers and vegetables and goes great with nachos. Is your mouth watering yet?
Never miss a new recipe or post! Sign up for the Pure and Simple Nourishment Newsletter and you will be sent subscriber exclusive recipes, deals and freebies!
Why this vegan sour cream is so good:
- It’s made with just a few simple ingredients like cashews, coconut milk, sea salt, apple cider vinegar and lemon juice
- It’s so creamy and delicious! It’s the perfect topping for baked potatoes and also makes a great dip for crackers, chips or raw vegetables
- This vegan sour cream is dairy free so if you are eating a paleo diet or Whole30 diet it’s also safe for you to eat
- This paleo sour cream is surprisingly easy to make and comes together in just minutes in your food processor or Vitamix blender
- If you are counting carbs this vegan sour cream is also low in carbohydrates so perfect for the keto diet
What you need to make vegan sour cream:
- A food processor or high speed blender (like a Vitamix) – this is the food processor that I use and love
- Raw cashews – preferably soaked and dehydrated first (read why and how to do it here)
- Full fat coconut milk (make sure it is guar gum and xanthan gum free) – I love this brand
- Sea salt
- Apple cider vinegar – I use this brand
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice
How to make vegan sour cream:
You are going to love how easy it is to make vegan sour cream!
All you need to do to make this paleo sour cream is place the cashews, coconut milk, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice and sea salt into your food processor. Then blend the ingredients together until they are smooth.
That’s it! You’re done! I told you it was easy.
If you still have some of this vegan sour cream left you can store it in the fridge for up to a week. Just note that it will firm up in the fridge (I have tips for dealing with this below).
Tips for making vegan sour cream:
- You may want to add a little extra apple cider vinegar, lemon juice or water if you want a slightly thinner texture
- This vegan sour cream will become firm in the fridge. If you want to make it creamy again simply place it back in your food processor with a little extra liquid (choose from lemon juice, apple cider vinegar or water) and blend it until smooth
Pin this recipe for later:
How to use vegan sour cream:
- Use this Whole30 sour cream to top baked potatoes or sweet potatoes
- Use this paleo sour cream as a dip for your favourite grain fee crackers or tortilla chips
- Use this vegan sour cream as a dip for raw vegetables
- Use it to top nachos!
Why vegan sour cream is so healthy:
- It’s dairy free! Despite what our food guides might like you to believe dairy is not very good for you for many reasons. It can cause leaky gut, contains allergenic proteins that can contribute to autoimmune diseases, and many people are lactose intolerant and can’t digest it properly.
- It’s made with cashews which contain healthy monounsaturated fat, minerals like copper and magnesium and have been linked to many health benefits such as a lowered risk of heart disease, diabetes and weight gain.
- It’s made with coconut milk. Coconut has so many different health benefits including being high in many vitamins and minerals, containing medium chain triglycerides, and having anti-bacterial properties (just to name a few)
- It’s safe for the paleo diet, Whole30 diet, SCD diet, GAPS diet and is keto-friendly because it is low in carbs
Other paleo and vegan recipes you will love:
- Vegan Cauliflower Soup
- Dairy Free Brownies with Caramel
- Whole30 Cilantro Lime Dressing
- Paleo Cauliflower Fried Rice
Vegan Sour Cream (Paleo, SCD, GAPS, Whole30, Keto, Dairy Free)
A vegan version of sour cream that is so easy to make and tastes so creamy and delicious. Also dairy free, paleo and Whole30 safe.
Place all of the ingredients into your food processor
Blend the ingredients until smooth
Serve and enjoy!
Note 1: Depending on your preference, feel free to add more liquid (more lemon juice, apple cider vinegar or water) to give it a thinner texture.
Note 2: Store this vegan sour cream in the fridge for up to a week.
Note 3: This will become firm in the fridge. Simply add a bit more liquid and blend it again in your food processor to make it smooth.