Vegan sour cream is so good that you would never know it’s dairy free. Easy to make with only five ingredients including cashews and coconut milk, it’s the perfect topping for baked potatoes. It also makes a great dip and is Whole30, paleo and keto too.
Vegan Sour Cream Recipe
Why this vegan sour cream is so good:
- It’s made with just a few simple ingredients like cashews, coconut milk, sea salt, apple cider vinegar and lemon juice
- It’s so creamy and delicious! It’s the perfect topping for baked potatoes and also makes a great dip for crackers, chips or raw vegetables and goes great with nachos.
- This sour cream is dairy free and is paleo and Whole30 compliant
- This paleo sour cream is surprisingly easy to make and comes together in just minutes in your food processor or blender
- If you are counting carbs this sour cream is also low in carbohydrates so perfect for the keto diet
Key ingredients and equipment for making vegan sour cream:
- A food processor or high speed blender (like a Vitamix) – this is the food processor that I use and love
- Raw cashews – preferably soaked and dehydrated first (read why and how to do it here)
- Full fat coconut milk – I love this brand
- Sea salt
- Apple cider vinegar – I use this brand
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice
How to make this dairy free sour cream:
You are going to love how easy it is to make this dairy free sour cream!
All you need to do to make this paleo sour cream is place the cashews, coconut milk, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice and sea salt into your food processor. Then blend the ingredients together until they are smooth.
That’s it! You’re done! I told you it was easy.
Tips for making this plant based sour cream:
- You may want to add a little extra apple cider vinegar, lemon juice or water if you want a slightly thinner texture
- If you still have some of this sour cream left you can store it in the fridge for up to a week. Just note that it will firm up in the fridge (see the next time for how to deal with this)
- This sour cream will become firm in the fridge. If you want to make it creamy again simply place it back in your food processor with a little extra liquid (choose from lemon juice, apple cider vinegar or water) and blend it until smooth
How to use sour cream:
- Use this sour cream to top baked potatoes or sweet potatoes
- Use it as a dip for your favourite crackers or tortilla chips
- Use this sour cream as a dip for raw vegetables
- Use it to top nachos!
Frequently asked questions:
I made this vegan sour cream recipe with cashews and coconut milk as the base but I have seen other recipes use tofu or vegan yogurt for the base as well.
Other recipes you will love:
- Vegan Mascarpone
- Vegan Cauliflower Soup
- Vegan Asian Coleslaw
- Dairy Free Brownies with Caramel
- Vegan Cilantro Lime Dressing
- Paleo Cauliflower Fried Rice
- Vegan Mac and Cheese
SINCE YOU MADE IT THIS FAR WE ARE BASICALLY BEST FRIENDS SO BE SURE TO FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST AND FACEBOOK WHERE I SHARE EVEN MORE RECIPES AND HEALTHY LIVING TIPS! AND DON’T FORGET TO LEAVE THIS RECIPE A STAR REVIEW BEFORE YOU GO!
Vegan Sour Cream
A vegan version of sour cream that is so easy to make and tastes so creamy and delicious. You'll love that it's also dairy free, paleo and Whole30 compliant.
Place all of the ingredients into your food processor
Blend the ingredients until smooth
Serve and enjoy!
Note 1: Depending on your preference, feel free to add more liquid (more lemon juice, apple cider vinegar or water) to give it a thinner texture.
Note 2: Store this vegan sour cream in the fridge for up to a week.
Note 3: This will become firm in the fridge. Simply add a bit more liquid and blend it again in your food processor to make it smooth.
Pin this recipe for later: