This is the best vegan cheese sauce! It's thick, and creamy and has the most amazing flavour. This recipe is made without nuts, but is plant based and made with cauliflower, nutritional yeast and coconut milk. It's perfect for making pasta or Mac and cheese!
Why you will love this recipe:
- This is the best vegan cheese sauce recipe! It's so thick and creamy and is perfect for making Mac and cheese or pasta.
- It's made with no cashews and no nuts and is made with cauliflower, carrots, nutritional yeast and coconut milk to give it that amazing flavour and beautiful orange colour.
- It's surprisingly easy to make.
- This cheese sauce is dairy free, gluten free, Whole30 compliant, plant based, low carb and keto, and is made with no tofu, no beans, no butternut squash and no potatoes.
- This sauce is made with simple ingredients and is great for meal prep because it stores really well and can be frozen.
- You can use this sauce in so many ways!
Taste and texture:
This tasty vegetarian cheese sauce is vegetable based, but you'd never know it! It's basically like liquid gold. It's delicious, thick, creamy and a game changer when it comes to making the best gooey Mac n cheese or the most epic cheese sauce for broccoli.
Key ingredients and substitutions:
- Cauliflower - steamed cauliflower forms the base of this rich and creamy veggie cheese sauce. I recommend using fresh cauliflower, but if you do want to use frozen cauliflower that will work too!
- Carrots - carrots are what add that beautiful orange color to this sauce. Most vegan cheese sauces are made with butternut squash for this purpose, but not this one.
- Coconut milk - coconut milk is what makes this sauce so thick and creamy. I recommend using full fat coconut milk, rather than low fat coconut milk which is too watery. If you can't have coconut milk, I recommend using cashew milk instead. I don't recommend using almond milk as it will change the flavour and isn't as thick.
- Nutritional yeast - nutritional yeast is the secret to making dairy free cheese sauce with no cheese and no dairy. I don't recommend trying to make this recipe without nutritional yeast.
- Garlic - just a bit of powdered garlic is added to add depth and flavour to this cheesy sauce.
How to make:
Peel the carrots and rinse the cauliflower, then cut all the vegetables into pieces.
Step two :
Next, steam both the carrots and cauliflower until they are tender.
Transfer the cooked veggies to a large pot and add the remaining ingredients.
Using your immersion blender, blend the ingredients until you have a smooth sauce.
If you want a warmer sauce, heat the sauce for a few minutes. Then serve and enjoy!
Tips and variations:
- This life changing cheese sauce freezes really well so feel free to make a double or triple batch and freeze some for later.
- I recommend using full fat coconut milk for this recipe.
- If you don't have an immersion blender you can blend the sauce in a Vitamix blender or other high speed blender instead.
- If you want the sauce to be even thicker, reduce the amount of coconut milk or water that you add, or add even more cauliflower.
- To make this sauce organic, be sure to use all organic ingredients.
How to use:
You can use this homemade lactose free cheese sauce for many different things including for making Mac and cheese, pasta or rice dishes, or it can be used as a dipping sauce, or as a cheese sauce for cauliflower or broccoli.
This cheese sauce has approximately 213 calories per serving with 9 grams of carbs, 3 grams of fiber, 6 grams of net carbs, 4 grams of protein and 19 grams of fat.
How to store:
Store any leftover sauce in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 7 days.
This cheese sauce also freezes really well.
Frequently asked questions:
Yes! This cheese sauce freezes really well.
No this cheese sauce is not low fat. It has approximately 19 grams of fat per serving, from both coconut milk and avocado oil.
Compared to cheese sauce made with dairy or nuts, this sauce is lower in calories since it is vegetable based.
Yes you can. If you are avoiding oil you can use extra water instead of the oil to make it, just note that it won't turn out quite as creamy or thick.
What a plant based cheese sauce tastes like will depend on the ingredients used to make it. This homemade cheese sauce recipe is thick, creamy and has a cheesy flavour from the nutritional yeast.
To thicken this cheese sauce you could add less water, oil or milk or add extra cauliflower.
Other recipes you will love:
Since you made it this far we are basically best friends so be sure to follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, TikTok and Facebook where I share even more recipes and healthy living tips! And don’t forget to leave this recipe a star review before you go!
Nut Free Vegan Cheese Sauce
- Wash and cut the carrots and cauliflower and then cut them into pieces.
- Steam the cauliflower and carrots for 15-20 minutes (until tender).
- Transfer the vegetables to a medium sized pot.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the pot.
- Using your immersion blender, blend the ingredients until smooth.
- Turn the burner onto low and heat for a few minutes (until desired temperature).
- Serve and enjoy!
- I like this sauce to be pretty thick. If you want it to be a bit thinner feel free to add a bit more water or avocado oil.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 7 days.
- Feel free to make a double or triple batch and freeze some for later.