Making air fryer toast is so easy! It only takes four minutes to make toast in an air fryer and the bread turns out perfectly toasted every time. You don't need to flip the bread and you don't need a toaster. You'll never want to cook toast another way again.
Why you'll love this recipe:
- Making toasted bread in an air fryer is so easy and the clean up is so simple!
- It only takes 4 minutes to cook toast perfectly in the air fryer.
- You don't need to flip the bread.
- The bread gets perfectly toasted and evenly crispy in just a few minutes and you don't have to worry about burnt toast or soggy toast when you air fry toast.
- You can toast up to 8 pieces of bread at the same time.
- There are tons of variations you can try including making Texas toast, garlic toast, French toast, cinnamon toast, egg toast or cheese toast.
- You can add any topping you like such as jam, peanut butter, butter, garlic butter, avocado, etc.
- This method works for all types of air fryers including Ninja Foodi, Ninja Air Fryer, Ninja Foodi Grill, Instant Vortex, Emeril Air Fryer, Cuisinart Air Fryer and Chefman Air Fryers.
Taste and texture:
The toast will end up golden brown and perfectly crisp. You can change up the flavour by adding any toppings that you prefer.
Ingredients and substitutions:
- Bread - either make your own or use store bought. Whichever you prefer. You can use any type of bread that you like including white bread, whole wheat bread, whole grain bread, sourdough bread, gluten free bread, paleo bread, vegan bread or keto bread.
How to make:
First, place the slice or slices of bread onto the rack or into the basket of your air fryer.
Then cook the bread for 3-5 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Remove the toast from the air fryer and enjoy!
Do I need to flip the bread?
One of the benefits of using an air fryer to make toast is that you do not need to flip the bread.
Do I need to preheat my air fryer?
When you make toast you do not need to preheat your air fryer. If you do, decrease the cooking time by 1-2 minutes.
- Every model of air fryer is different, so you may have to adjust the cooking time if you are using a different model than I do.
- The recipe card instructions are for a rack or oven style air fryer. If you have a basket style air fryer see the FAQ section below.
- Don't overlap the slices of bread when cooking or they won't cook evenly - depending on the size of the air fryer you have and the bread you are using you may only be able to fit 1 or 2 pieces of bread on a rack or in the basket.
- If you use the lower rack of the air fryer the slices on that rack will take 1-2 extra minutes to toast.
- Depending on the thickness of your bread you may have to adjust the cooking time.
- If you food tends to stick to your air fryer, give it a spray with oil such as avocado oil before cooking the toast.
- Jam - I love using my blueberry chia seed jam on this toast.
- Nut butter such as peanut butter, almond butter, cashew butter or pumpkin seed butter.
- My vegan mascarpone.
- Butter or a vegan butter substitute.
- To make air fryer cinnamon toast sprinkle each side of the bread with ground cinnamon before cooking.
- Turn it into avocado toast by adding some sliced avocado.
- Top it with a little garlic butter either before or after cooking to create garlic toast.
- Turn this into Texas toast by coating the bread in garlic butter before cooking.
- To make this toast gluten free be sure to use gluten free bread.
- To make this toast paleo be sure to use paleo bread - this is my favourite paleo bread recipe.
Frequently asked questions:
If you have a basket style air fryer, such as a Ninja Foodi, place the pieces of bread in the basket in a single layer – note that most basket style air fryers are only large enough for 2 slices of bread to fit at a time – then close the air fryer basket and cook the bread for 3-5 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
Absolutely! You can toast any kind of bun in an air fryer including hot dog buns and hamburger buns. To toast a bun in an air fryer, open it and lay it flat on the air fryer tray or basket. Then cook it for 2-4 minutes at 400F.
Yes! You can toast anything in an air fryer including bagels. To toast a bagel in an air fryer, open it and lay it flat on your air fryer tray or basket and cook it for 3-5 minutes at 400F.
Absolutely! You can toast all the same things in an air fryer that you can in a toaster or toaster oven, so why have both appliances?
Other air fryer recipes you will love:
- Hash browns in the air fryer
- Air fryer frozen pizza
- Frozen steak in air fryer
- Popcorn in the air fryer
- Air fryer salmon patties with lemon dill aioli
- Potato wedges in the air fryer
Since you made it this far we are basically best friends so be sure to follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, TikTok and Facebook where I share even more recipes and healthy living tips! And don’t forget to leave this recipe a star review before you go!
Air Fryer Toast
- 4 slices bread
- spray oil
- Place the pieces of bread on the tray or basket of your air fryer and cook at 400F for 3-5 minutes, until toasted.
- If food tends to stick to your air fryer trays, give the tray a quick spray with an oil such as coconut oil or avocado oil before cooking.
- Don't overlap the pieces of bread when cooking or they won't toast evenly - depending on the size of your air fryer and the bread you are using you may only be able to cook 2 pieces of bread on a rack at a time.
- To make 8 pieces of toast: use both trays of your air fryer and place 4 pieces of bread on each tray.
- To make garlic toast or Texas toast coat the bread in garlic butter before toasting.
- Nutritional values are an estimate and will vary depending on the type of bread you use.
- You do not need to preheat the air fryer for this recipe. If you do preheat it, decrease the cooking time for the toast.