You are going to love cooking air fryer Italian sausages. Using the air fryer is the fastest and easiest way to cook sausages and they turn perfectly - nice and crisp on the outside, yet juicy and tender on the inside.
Why you will love this recipe:
- Italian sausages in air fryer are so easy to cook and the clean up is so simple!
- Cooking sausages in the air fryer doesn’t leave your kitchen smelling like sausage grease like frying them or cooking them in an Instant pot does and you also don’t have to worry about grease spraying everywhere.
- It takes less than 15 minutes to cook the sausages and you can either cook them from fresh or from frozen and can use either beef or pork sausages and sausage links or sausage patties.
- The sausages turn out perfectly cooked with a nice crisp skin and juicy, tender inside and you also don't have to worry about turning or flipping them as you cook - it's totally hands-off!
- Sausages are a healthy meal or snack that are gluten free, dairy free, keto, low carb, paleo and Whole30.
Taste and texture:
These sausages are so good! They are nice and crisp on the outside, yet juicy and tender on the inside. They have the perfect Italian flavour and the meat melts in your mouth as you eat it.
- Italian Sausages – you can use either beef or pork Italian sausages for this recipe. You could also swap Italian sausages for any other type of sausage such as bratwursts or breakfast sausages. Some popular brands of Italian sausages include Johnsonville Italian sausages, Trader Joe's Italian sausages and Great Value Italian sausages.
How to cook:
Simply put sausages in your air fryer in a single layer (either on the air fryer tray or in the air fryer basket) and cook them for 12 minutes at 370 degrees Fahrenheit.
If you have a basket style air fryer:
Preheat it to 370 degrees Fahrenheit and then cook the sausages for 12-14 minutes, flipping them half way through.
If your sausages are frozen:
To air fry frozen Italian sausages, first cook the sausages for 5 minutes at 320 degrees Fahrenheit to help thaw them, and then cook them for an additional 12 minutes at 370 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Every model of air fryer is different, so you may have to adjust the cooking time slightly depending on the brand you are using.
- Depending on the size of sausages you are using you may have to adjust the cooking time.
- Don't overlap the sausages in the air fryer or they won't cook properly. Cook them in a single layer.
- If food tends to stick to your air fryer, give the air fryer tray or air fryer basket a spray with a cooking oil such as avocado oil before cooking the sausages.
How to serve:
- Pair them with roasted peppers and onions.
- Serve with roasted potatoes and broccoli.
- Add them to pasta dishes.
- Eat the sausages in buns like hot dogs.
- Eat them on their own or with a side of French fries.
How to store:
Store any leftover cooked sausages in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Frequently asked questions:
The internal temperature of sausages should be 160 degrees Fahrenheit or 71 degrees Celsius. This ensures the meat is fully cooked and safe to eat.
In North America, Italian sausage most often refers to a type of pork sausage which is seasoned with fennel or anise as the main seasoning. As the name implies, Italian sausage originates in Italy. However, in Italy there are many types of sausage recipes, each one stemming from a different region. The Italian sausage version that is most common in the US and Canada most resembles sausage from Sicily in terms of flavours, but the version from Sicily uses courser meat and has a higher fat content.
For this air fryer recipe you do not need to preheat your air fryer. If you choose to preheat it, take a few minutes off the cooking time.
Other air fryer recipes you will love:
- Air Fryer Hash Browns
- Air Fryer Potato Wedges
- Air Fryer Brats
- Air Fryer Turkey Burgers
- Air Fryer Broccoli
- Air Fryer Popcorn
- Air Fryer French Fries
Since you made it this far we are basically best friends so be sure to follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, TikTok and Facebook where I share even more recipes and healthy living tips! And don’t forget to leave this recipe a star review before you go!
Air Fryer Italian Sausages
- 6 Italian sausages
- spray oil
- Place the sausages on the tray of your air fryer and cook for 12 minutes at 370F.
- If food tends to stick to your air fryer, spray the tray with a cooking oil first.
- You can use either beef or pork sausages for this recipe.
- The nutritional values shown reflect 1 cooked sausage. The macros will vary slightly depending on the specific brand and type of sausage used.
- Store any leftover cooked sausages in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.