This is the best vegan cream of mushroom soup. So rich and creamy and loaded with mushrooms you will love how easy it is to make. It’s dairy free and gluten free and made with coconut milk, cremini mushrooms, vegetable broth and spices. This soup is also paleo and Whole30!
Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe
Why this is the best Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup
- It’s so much better than canned cream of mushroom soup! It’s so rich and creamy with the most delicious flavour. This soup is going to become your new favourite comfort food.
- It’s really easy to make and also freezes really well if you are doing meal prep or want leftovers.
- It’s dairy free and gluten free and made with coconut milk, vegetable broth, cremini mushrooms, onions, garlic and spices.
- Besides being vegan it’s also paleo and Whole30 compliant!
Key ingredients and equipment for this vegan cream of mushroom soup:
- A large stockpot
- Coconut oil
- Onion and garlic
- Corn starch – to help the soup thicken (substitute with tapioca starch if you are avoiding grains)
- Cremini mushrooms (or other mushroom of choice – any type of mushroom will work)
- Vegetable broth and full fat coconut milk
- Spices: sea salt, ground black pepper, sage, thyme and nutmeg
Tips for making this paleo cream of mushroom soup:
- Feel free to use another type of mushroom, other than cremini mushrooms (any type of mushroom would work for this recipe)
- I use pre-sliced mushrooms to make this soup even easier to make!
- Use tapioca starch instead of corn starch if you are following a grain free diet including a paleo or Whole30 diet
- I don’t recommend using low fat coconut milk for this recipe. Full fat coconut milk helps gives this soup it’s delicious rich and creamy texture and flavour
- If you can’t have coconut milk I would use cashew milk instead
- Store this soup in the fridge in an air-tight container for up to 5 days
- This soup freezes really well
- If you prefer a smooth soup, once it’s done cooking use your immersion blender and blend it until smooth
- You can use this soup to make other dishes such as green bean casserole or chicken casserole
Frequently asked questions:
I love adding broken crackers to my cream of mushroom soup! You can also serve this soup with a side salad or cooked vegetables. It also goes really well with bread or toast. Of course this soup is also good enough to eat all on it’s own!
That will all depend on the ingredients in the cream of mushroom soup but this cream of mushroom soup recipe is perfect for diabetics. It’s made with real ingredients and is low in sugar.
Other vegan recipes you will love:
- Vegan Scalloped Potatoes
- Vegan Apple Pie Bars
- Vegan Pumpkin Risotto
- Vegan Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Soup
- Vegan Green Beans with Almonds
SINCE YOU MADE IT THIS FAR WE ARE BASICALLY BEST FRIENDS SO BE SURE TO FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST AND FACEBOOK WHERE I SHARE EVEN MORE RECIPES AND HEALTHY LIVING TIPS! AND DON’T FORGET TO LEAVE THIS RECIPE A STAR REVIEW BEFORE YOU GO!
Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup
This vegan cream of mushroom soup is so rich and creamy! Easy to make you will love that it is also dairy free and gluten free.
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp corn starch (use tapioca starch for paleo and Whole30)
- 1 lb cremini mushrooms, chopped
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups full fat coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp sea salt (or more to taste)
- 1/2 tsp dried sage
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
Add the coconut oil to a large pot on medium heat and allow it to melt. Once melted add the chopped onion and garlic and cook for a few minutes, until the onion starts to become transluscent
Add the chopped mushrooms to the pot and cook for ~10 minutes, until the mushrooms are cooked
Add the corn starch and stir it in well to form a slurry
Add the remaining ingredients to the pot and stir well
Turn the heat down and let the soup simmer for ~10 minutes, stirring every couple minutes until the soup has the thickness you like
- Any type of mushroom would work for this recipe
- To make this soup paleo and Whole30 compliant, use tapioca starch instead of corn starch
- I recommend using full fat coconut milk rather than low fat coconut milk for this recipe
Pin this recipe for later: