You are going to love this cherry tomato soup recipe! It's so easy to make with just 4 main ingredients including cherry tomatoes, coconut milk and basil. This soup is so rich and creamy and has the most amazing taste.
Why you will love this recipe:
- The taste! This simple cherry tomato basil soup is so rich and creamy with such a delicious flavour.
- It's so quick and easy to make!
- You don't need to roast the tomatoes making it even easier to prepare.
- It's made with just 4 main ingredients - cherry tomatoes, coconut milk, coconut oil and spices.
- This homemade tomato soup tastes way better than any store bought version.
- This healthy soup is low in calories, dairy free, gluten free, paleo, vegan, Whole30 and sugar free.
- This soup makes great leftovers and freezes really well so it's a great option for meal prep.
- It's made with no cream, no butter and no garlic.
Taste and texture:
This soup is so rich and creamy. It blends the flavours of cherry tomatoes, basil and coconut milk to give this soup a slightly sweet yet savoury flavour. This soup is not spicy.
Key ingredients and substitutions:
- Cherry tomatoes - cherry tomatoes are the key to this soup recipe. They are more sweet and flavourful than other types of tomatoes which is why this soup is so delicious. I used red cherry tomatoes but you could use other colours of cherry tomatoes to make this soup if you have them (just note that this would change the colour of the soup). Instead of cherry tomatoes you can also use grape tomatoes or baby tomatoes to make this soup.
- Coconut milk - I recommend using full fat coconut milk to make this soup because it helps make it so rich and creamy while low fat coconut milk is more watery and won't give it as much flavour. When blended with the tomatoes the coconut milk helps give this soup such a delicious, slightly sweet flavour.
- Spices - basil, salt and pepper are the only spices you need to season this soup. Even though the seasonings are simple, they give this soup so much flavour. I used dried basil to make this soup but you could easily use fresh basil as well.
How to make this recipe:
First, place all the ingredients into your blender.
Then blend everything well until it's smooth.
Transfer the soup to a medium sized pot and place it on the stovetop on medium heat.
Allow the soup to come to a boil and then reduce the heat to low and let the soup simmer for 5-10 minutes, until it's warmed throughout.
Then serve and enjoy!
Tips and variations:
- If you are serving a crowd or want leftovers feel free to double or triple this recipe.
- Instead of dried basil you could use fresh basil to make this soup.
- I recommend using full fat coconut milk rather than low fat coconut milk to make this soup.
How to serve:
This soup is best served when warm but it also tastes great when cold. It is delicious served as is but you could also top it with some fresh basil, fresh cilantro, freshly ground black pepper, or crushed crackers.
You can serve this tomato soup with cherry tomatoes as an appetizer or side dish. It pairs well with sandwiches such as grilled cheese, meat or fish dishes such as meatloaf, steak, cod, shrimp, or even an omelette.
How to store:
Store this soup in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 7 days. It also freezes really well.
One serving of this soup has approximately 290 calories per serving with approximately 12 grams of total carbohydrates, 3 grams of fiber, 9 grams of net carbs, 4 grams of protein and 28 grams of fat. This soup is dairy free, gluten free, low sugar, vegan, vegetarian, and paleo. It is not low carb, low fat or keto.
Frequently asked questions:
I never heat anything in plastic (including in my blender). Studies have shown that when you heat food in plastic, the plastic can release harmful chemicals into your food.
Yes! Don't worry about peeling the skin off your tomatoes when making this soup.
Other recipes you will love:
- Butternut squash and red pepper soup
- Creamy cauliflower soup
- Creamy zucchini soup
- Curried butternut squash soup
- Dairy free cream of mushroom soup
Since you made it this far we are basically best friends so be sure to follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, TikTok and Facebook where I share even more recipes and healthy living tips! And don’t forget to leave this recipe a star review before you go!
Tomato Basil Soup
- Add all the ingredients to your blender and blend everything well until smooth.
- Transfer the ingredients to a large pot on the stove and turn the burner to medium heat.
- Let the soup come to a boil and turn down the heat.
- Let it simmer for 5-10 minutes, until it's warmed throughout.
- Remove from the heat, serve and enjoy!
- This soup stores well in the fridge for up to 7 days.
- Feel free to make a double or triple batch and save some for later.