Kale Slaw with Apples is an amazing healthy side dish with tons of crunch and the most amazing flavour. Make it in just minutes with crispy apples, slivered almonds, bright kale, and a tangy homemade dressing. This is going to become your new favourite salad. It can easily be made vegan and paleo too!
KALE SLAW WITH APPLES RECIPE
WHY THIS IS THE BEST KALE SLAW:
- This crunchy kale salad is packed with flavor and perfectly dressed! I love the sweet combo of apples and carrots with the fresh kale.
- It’s super fresh and a great side dish for a rich, heavy meal. It’s just like a fresh salad without that boring salad feel.
- I love how versatile this slaw recipe is! You can change the apples, switch the nuts, or even modify the homemade slaw dressing recipe for a new flavour profile every time.
- With it’s extended fridge life, it’s perfect for meal prep! Be sure to keep it in an airtight container. Extend its life by adding the dressing fresh when you’re ready to eat.
- This salad is healthy and is naturally gluten free and dairy free and can easily be made vegan, and paleo too!
KEY INGREDIENTS FOR KALE APPLE SLAW:
- Kale — You can’t find a healthier crunch than yummy raw kale! If you think it’s too bitter, be sure to rinse the leaves a few minutes before chopping. This breaks down the fibers and makes the flavor less intense.
- Slivered Almonds — I recommend buying these because it is so hard to sliver almonds at home! Feel free to use other nuts like pecans or walnuts, too.
- Carrots — I love the natural sweetness of carrots. It’s like adding candy to a salad!
- Red Apples — You can use your favourite kinds of apples in this kale slaw from Honeycrisp to Pink Lady. If you want a little extra tang, throw in a Granny Smith apple!
- Mayonnaise — Nothing makes a creamier homemade salad dressing than mayo! You can use any type of mayo that you like, but I personally prefer using my homemade mayonnaise that takes less than a minute to make!
- Apple Cider Vinegar — I love the healthy benefits of apple cider vinegar and the yummy flavour, too.
- Dijon Mustard — This adds the bit of spice this kale slaw with apples needs!
- Paprika — I use a little paprika plus salt and pepper in this easy dressing. I always add the seasonings at the end and taste.
THE EQUIPMENT YOU’LL NEED TO MAKE THIS SLAW:
- A large mixing bowl or salad bowl to hold all your yummy ingredients. I use a wooden bowl so I can use it to serve, too!
- A measuring cup with an easy pour spout for your homemade dressing
TIPS AND VARIATIONS FOR THIS KALE AND APPLE SLAW:
- To make it vegan, use a vegan mayonnaise.
- To make it paleo: use a paleo compliant mayonnaise
- If you like a sweeter dressing, add an extra 1-2 tablespoons of honey or maple syrup
- You can use any type of red apple for this recipe. My personal favourites are Gala apples, Pink Lady apples, and Ambrosia apples.
- Feel free to add other nuts such as pecans or walnuts
- To make it a complete meal, add some grilled chicken, beef, pork, or tofu!
- This salad stores well in the fridge in an air tight container for up to 5 days
- To prepare ahead of time, combine all the salad ingredients in one container and the dressing ingredients in another and store in the fridge overnight. When you are ready to serve, pour the dressing over the salad and mix everything well until coated
WHAT TO SERVE WITH THIS KALE SLAW:
- Duck Burgers
- Salt and Pepper Chicken Wings
- Gluten Free Peach Cobbler
- Dairy-Free Potato Salad
- Blueberry Lemonade with Mint
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
Kale is seriously one of the most nutrient-dense foods on the planet! Just 1 cup of kale is packed with Vitamins A, K, C, B1, B2, B3, and B6 plus manganese, calcium, copper, potassium, and magnesium. Even the minor amount of fat in kale is a healthy omega-3 fatty acid. You really can’t beat that!
This slaw recipe lasts up to 1 week in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It’s perfect for meal prep! To make it in advance, you can also throw together the kale slaw ingredients and add the dressing right before serving.
A serving of this dressed kale and apple slaw has about 26g of carbohydrates per serving. It’s not meant for low-carb or keto diets! But it is a healthy way to get a few carbs for your workout routine.
OTHER SIDE DISH RECIPES YOU WILL LOVE:
- Paleo Broccoli Salad
- Sweet Potato Rice
- Asian Coleslaw
- Green Beans with Almonds
- Paleo Cornbread Muffins
SINCE YOU MADE IT THIS FAR WE ARE BASICALLY BEST FRIENDS SO BE SURE TO FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST AND FACEBOOK WHERE I SHARE EVEN MORE RECIPES AND HEALTHY LIVING TIPS! AND DON’T FORGET TO LEAVE THIS RECIPE A STAR REVIEW BEFORE YOU GO!
Kale Slaw with Apples
Kale Slaw with Apples is an amazing summer salad with tons of crunch and flavour! Make it in just minutes with crispy apples, slivered almonds, kale, and a tangy homemade dressing.
- 2 bunches kale
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 2 red apples, chopped
Rip or cut the kale into pieces and add to a bowl along with the shredded carrots, cut apples and slivered almonds
In a small bowl or glass measuring cup mix together the dressing ingredients until smooth
Pour the dressing over the salad and mix well until everything is coated
- To make this salad vegan use a vegan mayonnaise
- Store this slaw in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 5 days
- Feel free to add other nuts to give it a different flavour
Pin this recipe for later: