This kale slaw with apples is so good! This kale salad has tons of crunch and the most amazing flavour. Make it in just minutes with apples, slivered almonds, kale, and a sweet and tangy homemade dressing. This is going to become your new favourite salad.
Why you will love this recipe:
- This crunchy kale apple salad is packed with flavour and perfectly dressed! The combination of sweet apples, crunchy almonds and tart kale all blend perfectly.
- It is really easy to make and is ready in less than 15 minutes.
- This kale slaw is made with no cabbage, giving it such a unique flavour.
- The mayonnaise based dressing is so creamy and delicious with the perfect sweet and tangy flavour.
- I love how versatile this slaw recipe is. You can change the apples, switch the nuts, or even modify the homemade coleslaw dressing recipe to give it a unique flavour.
- It stores really well in the fridge so it's perfect for meal prep!
- This salad is healthy and is naturally gluten free and dairy free and can easily be made vegan, and paleo too.
- This kale coleslaw is simple enough for weeknights but delicious enough to serve for holidays like Thanksgiving, Christmas or Easter.
Health benefits of kale:
Kale is such a healthy green vegetable. It is high in vitamins A, K, C, B1, B2, B3, and B6 plus manganese, calcium, copper, potassium, and magnesium. Even the small amount of fat in kale is healthy omega-3 fatty acids.
Key ingredients and substitutions:
- Kale — You can't find a healthier crunch than fresh kale! If you think it's too bitter, be sure to rinse the leaves a few minutes before chopping. This breaks down the fibers and makes the flavor less intense.
- Slivered Almonds — To add a bit of crunch and even more flavour to this salad. Feel free to use other nuts like pecans or walnuts, too.
- Carrots — I love the natural sweetness of carrots. It's like adding candy to a salad! Plus they are full of healthy vitamins and minerals.
- Red Apples — You can use your favourite kinds of apples in this kale slaw from Honeycrisp to Pink Lady. If you want a little extra tang, throw in a Granny Smith apple!
- Mayonnaise — Nothing makes a creamier homemade salad dressing than mayo! You can use any type of mayo that you like, but I personally prefer using my homemade mayonnaise that takes less than a minute to make!
- Apple Cider Vinegar — I love the healthy benefits of apple cider vinegar and the yummy flavour that it adds to the salad dressing.
- Dijon Mustard — This adds the bit of spice this kale slaw recipe needs!
- Paprika — I use a little paprika plus salt and pepper in this easy dressing to give the dressing the most amazing taste.
How to make this recipe:
First, rip or cut the kale into pieces, give it a massage, then rinse it and dry it. Once dry, add it to a large salad bowl along with the shredded carrots, cut apples and slivered almonds.
In a small bowl or glass measuring cup mix together the dressing ingredients until smooth.
Pour the dressing over the salad and mix well until everything is coated.
Serve and enjoy!
Tips and variations:
- To make this a vegan kale salad: use a vegan mayonnaise and maple syrup to make the dressing.
- To make it paleo: use a paleo compliant mayonnaise.
- If you like a sweeter dressing, add an extra 1-2 tablespoons of honey or maple syrup.
- You can use any type of red apple for this recipe. My personal favourites are Gala apples, Pink Lady apples, and Ambrosia apples.
- Feel free to add other nuts such as pecans or walnuts.
- Turn this into a kale slaw with cranberries by adding some fresh cranberries.
- To make it a complete meal, add some grilled chicken, beef, pork, or tofu!
How to store:
Store any leftover salad in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 7 days.
What to serve with this salad:
- Duck Burgers
- Honey lemon pepper chicken wings
- Salt and Pepper Chicken Wings
- Blueberry Mint Lemonade
- Gluten free burgers
Frequently asked questions:
A serving of this dressed kale and apple slaw has about 26g of carbohydrates per serving. It's not meant for low-carb or keto diets.
Absolutely. To do so, assemble the salad and make the dressing, but store them separately until you are ready to serve. When you want to serve, add the dressing and toss the slaw until everything is evenly coated.
Massage it! If you massage and cut your kale before rinsing it it will become softer and will taste less bitter. They key is to massage and cut kale before rinsing it rather than after rinsing.
Other recipes you will love:
- Healthy Broccoli Salad
- Sweet Potato Rice
- Asian Coleslaw
- Green Beans with Almonds
- Paleo Cornbread Muffins
Since you made it this far we are basically best friends so be sure to follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, TikTok and Facebook where I share even more recipes and healthy living tips! And don’t forget to leave this recipe a star review before you go!
Kale Slaw with Apples
- 2 bunches kale
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 2 red apples, chopped
- Rip or cut the kale into pieces and add to a bowl along with the shredded carrots, cut apples and slivered almonds.
- In a small bowl or glass measuring cup mix together the dressing ingredients until smooth.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and mix well until everything is coated.
- To make this salad vegan use a vegan mayonnaise.
- Store this slaw in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Feel free to add other nuts to give it a different flavour.