This creamy sun dried tomato chicken and spinach recipe is about to become a staple in your kitchen. This one pan meal is so easy to make in just 15 minutes and is so rich and creamy. The sauce is made with sun dried tomatoes, cashews, and coconut milk, and this healthy meal is also paleo and Whole30 compliant too.
Why you will love this recipe:
- It tastes incredible! This tuscan chicken recipe has the most rich and creamy flavour. The combination of sun dried tomatoes, cashews, coconut milk and spices creates the most dreamy sauce that is combined with diced chicken breasts, olives and spinach to make it a delicious complete meal.
- It's so easy to make! It's ready in just 15 minutes!
- Because it's made in one pan the clean up is so quick and easy.
- It's made with no cream and no dairy, but you'd never know it.
- This recipe is a healthy dinner that is also gluten free, dairy free, paleo and Whole30 compliant.
- It makes great leftovers and also freezes really well so it's perfect for meal prep.
Key ingredients and substitutions:
- A jar of sun dried tomatoes - this is the key to giving this sun dried tomato chicken recipe that delicious Tuscan flavour.
- Raw cashews - to give the sauce the most dreamy creamy texture, without any cream or dairy!
- Coconut milk - I recommend using full fat coconut milk for the most creamy sauce. You could also easily use another milk such as cashew milk or almond milk.
- Nutritional yeast - the key to give this sauce that cheesy flavour, while keeping it dairy free.
- Black olives - if you ask me olives just make everything taste better! If you don't like olives you could easily omit them from the recipe.
- Spinach - you can use either fresh or frozen for this recipe, whatever you have on hand. Spinach is a healthy dark green vegetable that adds important fiber, vitamins and minerals to this dish.
- Chicken breasts - To add some healthy protein and make this a complete meal. I recommend using boneless chicken breasts for this recipe but you could also use boneless chicken thighs if you wish.
How to make this recipe:
First, make the sauce by putting all the sauce ingredients into your high speed blender and blending until smooth.
Then place a large pan on the stove on medium heat. Add the coconut oil and once it melts add the chicken pieces. Cook the chicken until it's fully cooked, stirring frequently so that all the sides cook evenly.
Now add the sauce, olives and spinach to the pan with the cooked chicken. Stir everything well to combine.
Heat the chicken and sauce mixture until all the spinach is thawed (if you are using frozen spinach) and everything is warm. This should take about 5 minutes. Then serve and enjoy!
Chef's tips and variations:
- If you don't like olives simply leave them out of the recipe.
- I recommend using full fat coconut milk for this recipe - it makes it so much creamier!
- If you are following a paleo or Whole30 diet be sure the sun dried tomatoes you choose are compliant.
- This recipe freezes really well - I love freezing it in single sized portions in these Souper Cubes.
How to serve:
- This creamy sun dried tomato chicken is delicious served as is so don't feel pressure to cook anything else.
- Turn it into creamy sun dried tomato pasta by serving it over cooked pasta noodles.
- If you are grain free you can serve it over cooked zucchini noodles or cooked spaghetti squash.
- Serve it with a side salad or coleslaw.
- Serve it with a side of roasted potato wedges or even French fries!
- If you tolerate dairy, top this creamy chicken dish with parmesan cheese.
How to store:
This dish stores well in the fridge in an air tight container for up to 5 days. It also freezes really well for up to 3 months.
Frequently asked questions:
Sun dried tomatoes would not be considered low carb or keto friendly. Sun dried tomatoes actually contain more carbs than raw tomatoes do. Because of their low water content they contain around 23.5 grams of net carbs per cup (54 grams of total carbs), which is significantly more than the same serving of raw tomatoes.
This does depend on the store you are shopping at. Most grocery stores will keep the canned or jarred sun dried tomatoes in the same isle as canned olives and other canned vegetables. You can also often find dried sun dried tomatoes in the produce section of the grocery store.
Absolutely! Sun dried tomatoes are packed with nutrients and anti-oxidants such as lycopene. They also contain many vitamins and minerals including vitamin C, vitamin K and iron.
Absolutely! Instead of chicken just use a plant based meat alternative instead.
Other recipes you will love:
- Dairy Free Chicken Alfredo
- Healthy Sloppy Joes
- Dairy Free Shepherd's Pie
- Teriyaki Chicken Stir Fry Sheet Pan Meal
Since you made it this far we are basically best friends so be sure to follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, TikTok and Facebook where I share even more recipes and healthy living tips! And don’t forget to leave this recipe a star review before you go!
Dairy Free Creamy Sun Dried Tomato Chicken and Spinach
Sun Dried Tomato Sauce Ingredients
- 3 tablespoon coconut oil
- 3 chicken breasts, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 2 cans sliced black olives, drained (total of 450mL)
- 300 grams fresh or frozen spinach
- Make the sauce by putting all the sauce ingredients into your Vitamix or other high speed blender and blending until smooth.
- Place a large pan on the stove on medium heat. Add the coconut oil and once it melts add the chicken pieces. Cook the chicken until it's fully cooked, stirring frequently so that all the sides cook evenly.
- Add the sauce, olives and spinach to the pan with the chicken. Stir everything well to combine.
- Heat the mixture until all the spinach is thawed (if you are using frozen spinach) and everything is warm. This should take about 5 minutes.
- Store this recipe in the fridge in an air tight container for up to 5 days.
- If you don't like olives simply leave them out.