You are going to love this key lime pie smoothie! This healthy green smoothie is packed with fruit and vegetables and is high in protein, but tastes just like key lime pie. This refreshing smoothie makes the perfect breakfast or snack.
Why you will love this recipe:
- This is not your average green smoothie. This one tastes just like key lime pie!
- This smoothie is so quick and easy to make and is ready in just a few minutes.
- It's healthy and high in protein. Each serving of this smoothie has over 40 grams of protein!
- This smoothie is gluten free, and refined sugar free and can easily be made dairy free and paleo too!
- This smoothie makes the perfect breakfast or snack. It's also great to have after workouts.
- It's made with simple ingredients like limes, banana, coconut milk, yogurt and spinach.
- Kids love it!
If you love smoothies with hidden veggies you will also love my cherry cheesecake smoothie.
Taste and texture:
This smoothie is so smooth, thick and creamy. It tastes like a key lime pie with hints of sweetness and lots of refreshing lime flavour.
Key ingredients and substitutions:
- Key limes - you will be using limes for both the lime zest and lime juice. You can use either key limes or regular limes to make this smoothie.
- Yogurt - Full fat plain yogurt is used to help thicken this smoothie, add protein and healthy fats. I used full fat coconut yogurt to keep it dairy free but you can use any type of plain yogurt that you prefer. You could even use greek yogurt to make it even higher in protein.
- Coconut milk - coconut milk adds natural sweetness and helps make this smoothie so rich and creamy. I recommend using full fat coconut milk rather than low fat coconut milk as low fat coconut milk is more watery.
- Banana - banana is added to give this smoothie a naturally sweet flavour and help thicken this smoothie.
- Spinach - spinach is a healthy green vegetable that is mainly used to create the beautiful green color of this smoothie. And don't worry, if you don't like spinach you can't actually taste it. You can really use as much or as little spinach as you like.
- Collagen peptides - collagen peptides are used to add protein to this smoothie. It helps make it high in protein. I love adding collagen peptides to smoothies because it's tasteless so you can't even tell it's there.
- Hemp hearts - hemp hearts are another great source of protein and healthy omega fats. When blended in this smoothie you can't even taste them.
How to make:
First, place all the ingredients into your blender.
Then blend everything well until smooth.
Tips and variations:
- If you are serving more than one person or want leftovers for meal prep, feel free to double or triple this recipe.
- Be sure to use a ripe banana to make this smoothie rather than a green banana. You want the banana to be sweet.
- Feel free to add other seeds such as flax seeds or chia seeds to this smoothie.
- To give this smoothie even more healthy fats and make it even thicker you can add some avocado.
- You can add as much or as little spinach as you like.
- To make this smoothie even higher in protein you can use greek yogurt.
- For a dairy free version of this key lime pie shake use a dairy free yogurt. I use plain, full fat coconut yogurt to make it.
How to serve:
This smoothie is best served when cold. You can serve it as is, or add some crushed graham crackers to the top of it to make it even more like key lime pie. You can also lime the rim of your glass with crushed graham crackers to make it look extra fancy when you serve it.
Feel free to serve this key lime pie protein shake with a lime wedge or sprinkle it with shredded coconut to make it even more decadent! Or you could turn it into a smoothie bowl.
How to store:
If you don't eat this smoothie right away you can store it in the fridge for up to 72 hours.
This smoothie has approximately 914 calories per serving with 71 grams of total carbohydrates, 4 grams of fiber, 67 grams of net carbs, 42 grams of fat and 73 grams of protein. It is not low carb, keto or vegan but it is healthy, high in protein, gluten free and can be made dairy free and paleo.
Frequently asked questions:
As written this smoothie is not vegan because of the collagen peptides. If you want to make it vegan you could swap the collagen for a vegan protein power, but just note that this will likely change the flavour so I can't guarantee it would taste as good.
No it is not.
No worries, just use regular limes instead.
Other recipes you will like:
Since you made it this far we are basically best friends so be sure to follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, TikTok and Facebook where I share even more recipes and healthy living tips! And don’t forget to leave this recipe a star review before you go!
Key Lime Pie Smoothie
- Add all the ingredients to your blender.
- Blend well until smooth.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Nutritional values are an estimate and will vary depending on the exact ingredients used.
- For a dairy free version use a dairy free yogurt (I used full fat coconut yogurt).
- Feel free to add other seeds such as chia seeds or flax seeds.
- If you are serving multiple people or want leftovers you can double or triple this recipe.