These are the best chocolate covered Rice Krispie treats! These homemade Rice Krispie treats are surprisingly easy to make and are a huge hit with kids. This dessert only takes a few minutes to make and can easily be made gluten free, dairy free and vegan too.
Why you will love this recipe:
- The flavour! These chocolate Rice Krispie Treats are the best sweet treat.
- This no bake dessert is so quick and easy to make and only requires a few minutes of hands on time.
- You only need five pantry staple ingredients to make these homemade Rice Krispie squares.
- You can easily make this dessert gluten free, dairy free or vegan.
- This is a kid friendly dessert that they can also help make.
- You can use dark chocolate, milk chocolate or white chocolate to make this recipe, whatever you prefer!
- This dessert is so simple to make that it can be served anytime but it's also great to serve for special occasions like baby showers, halloween or Christmas.
If you love rice krisp treats you will also love Pumpkin Rice Krispie Treats!
Taste and texture:
This dessert is sweet and gooey on the inside, yet nice and crispy on the outside. The dark chocolate coating contrasts perfectly with the sweet marshmallow filling and helps makes this dessert even more decadent.
Key ingredients and substitutions:
Note that this is a partial ingredient list. For the full list of ingredients please refer to the recipe card later in this post.
Rice Krispies - you can use Kellogg's Rice Krispies or another brand of rice crisps cereal. If you are gluten free be sure to use gluten free Rice Krispies or anther brand of gluten free rice crispy cereal.
Marshmallows - you want to use mini marshmallows to make this recipe. It's also best to use fresh marshmallows. If the marshmallows are stale they won't melt as well and so the squares will turn out harder, rather than soft and chewy.
Chocolate - chocolate is what takes this dessert to the next level. I prefer to use dark chocolate but you can use any type of chocolate that you like including milk chocolate or white chocolate. You can use any type of chocolate that will melt including chocolate bars, chocolate chips or baking chocolate.
How to make this recipe:
First, line an 8" x 8" baking pan with parchment paper.
Next, melt the butter over low heat in a large pot, stirring regularly to prevent the butter from burning.
Once the butter has melted, add the marshmallows and vanilla extract to the pot. Stir the mixture until the marshmallows are completely melted, stirring frequently to prevent burning.
Now remove the pot from the heat and fold in the cereal. Try to make sure that each piece of cereal is coated with the marshmallow mixture.
Then transfer the cereal mixture to the prepared baking pan. Gently spread the mixture to fit the pan and press it down lightly so you have an even layer.
Put the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl or dish, and heat it on high for 30 second intervals until melted.
Pour the melted chocolate over the Rice Krispie treats and spread the chocolate evenly so you have a smooth layer. Then transfer the pan to the fridge for 20-30 minutes to let the chocolate harden, or let them set for 1 hour at room temperature instead.
Now cut the treats into pieces and enjoy!
- Heat the butter and marshmallows over low heat. If you try using high heat, the rice crispy treats will turn out hard, rather than soft and gooey.
- Be sure to stir the marshmallows regularly while they are melting so that they don't burn or stick to the bottom of the pan.
- I recommend using salted rather than unsalted butter for this recipe.
- Don’t press the rice krispies mixture into the pan too firmly. This will lead to rock-hard rice krispies treats. The key is to gently press the mixture into the pan, just until it’s even.
- Use a hot knife to make cutting these cereal bars even easier. I simply run my knife under hot water, dry if off and then use it to cut the squares.
- To make these Rice Krispie treats gluten free, use gluten free Rice Krispies or another gluten free rice crisps cereal.
- To make this recipe dairy free or vegan, use a vegan butter and dairy free chocolate.
- You can use dark chocolate, white chocolate or milk chocolate to make these chocolate Rice Krispie squares.
- If you are making these for a baby shower feel free to use blue chocolate or pink chocolate.
- If you prefer to make chocolate drizzle Rice Krispie treats, simply drizzle the chocolate overtop rather than fully coating the bars.
- To add even more flavour and crunch, top the chocolate with ground almonds or other ground nuts.
- To give this dessert a different flavour use vanilla marshmallows.
To make these into chocolate dipped Rice Krispie treats on a stick:
If you would rather make these into rice crispy treats dipped in chocolate, once you spread the marshmallow-cereal mixture into the baking pan, place popsicle sticks or candy sticks into the mixture, so that you have 12-16 sticks in the pan spread out at even intervals.
Then let the dessert set for about an hour at room temperature to firm up. Then cut the treat into pieces, keeping the sticks at the centre of each piece.
Then melt the chocolate and dip each piece into the melted chocolate. Transfer the dipped treats onto a large plate or tray to allow the chocolate to harden. Then enjoy!
How to serve:
You can serve this dessert warm, at room temperature, or cold. These treats are delicious served as is but you could also pair this dessert with a glass of milk to help contrast the sweet flavour of this recipe.
How to store:
Store these treats in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. To help keep them soft, place a sheet of wax paper in between each layer to prevent them from sticking together, then seal the top of the container.
You can also freeze this dessert. To do so, place them in an airtight container or bag and use parchment or wax paper to separate each layer. They can be frozen for up to 3 weeks.
One serving of these bars has approximately 200 calories, with 34 grams of total carbohydrates, 1 gram of fiber, 33 grams of net carbs, 1 gram of protein and 8 grams of fat.
Frequently asked questions:
Rice Krispie Treats can be store for up to 3 days at room temperature, but they are best if eaten within 24 hours of being made.
Yes you can. The best way to freeze them is to store them in an airtight container, with wax paper between each layer. You can freeze them for up to 3 weeks.
If you heat the marshmallows over high heat they will make your rice crispy squares hard. Be sure to use low heat to make them soft and gooey.
Other recipes you will love:
- Dairy Free Brownies with Caramel
- Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Chocolate Avocado Torte
- Chocolate Raspberry Cups
- Carrot Cake Donuts
- Edible Cookie Dough
- 3 Ingredient Mug Cake
Since you made it this far we are basically best friends so be sure to follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, TikTok and Facebook where I share even more recipes and healthy living tips! And don’t forget to leave this recipe a star review before you go!
Chocolate Covered Rice Krispie Treats
- 1/3 cup salted butter
- 15 oz mini marshmallows
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 6 oz chocolate
- Line an 8" x 8" baking pan with parchment paper.
- Melt the butter over low heat in a large pot, stirring regularly to prevent the butter from burning.
- Once the butter has melted, add the marshmallows and vanilla extract to the pot. Stir the mixture until the marshmallows are completely melted, stirring frequently to prevent burning.
- Remove the pot from the heat and fold in the cereal. Make sure each piece of cereal is coated with the marshmallow mixture.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking pan. Gently spread the mixture to fit the pan and press it down lightly so you have an even layer.
- Put the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl or dish, and heat it on high for 30 second intervals until melted.
- Pour the melted chocolate over the Rice Krispie treats and then transfer the pan to the fridge for 45 minutes to let the chocolate harden, or let them set for 2 hours at room temperature instead.
- Cut the treats into pieces and enjoy!
- Nutritional values are an estimate and will vary depending on the exact ingredients used.
- Store these treats in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days or in the fridge for up to 7 days.