This chocolate avocado torte recipe is what dessert dreams are made of. It has a slightly sweet crunchy crust with a melt in your mouth chocolate mousse topping that is to die for. You'll also love that this torte is flourless, dairy free, gluten free and vegan!
Why you will love this recipe:
- The taste! This flourless chocolate torte has a delicious crunchy chocolate crust, with the most rich and creamy chocolate avocado mousse topping.
- Even though this torte is made with avocados, you would never know it. All you taste is the flavour of rich, dark, chocolate.
- This chocolate avocado cake is flourless, gluten free, dairy free, paleo and vegan!
- This healthy torte is a no bake dessert that is also raw and plant based.
- It's surprisingly easy to make and also freezes really well.
Taste and texture:
This chocolate torte is rich in dark chocolate flavour and the crust has a nice crunchy texture. The mousse topping is rich and creamy and melts in your mouth with every bite. And don't worry, if you don't like avocados this cake doesn't actually taste like avocados!
Key ingredients and substitutions:
- Cashews - these form the crunchy crust base. I recommend using raw cashews, not roasted cashews. If you don't have cashews or are allergic you could also use raw almonds.
- Dates - to help the crust ingredients stick together and give it a nice sweet taste.
- Shredded coconut - to add even more texture and flavour to this delicious crunchy crust. Be sure to use finely shredded coconut rather than coconut flakes.
- Cacao powder or cocoa powder - to give the crust it's delicious chocolate flavour!
- Avocados - these gives this torte the most rich and creamy texture. Plus avocados are a great source of mono-unsaturated fatty acids and are full of vitamins and minerals.
- Coconut milk - to help give this dessert even more of a creamy texture. I recommend using full fat coconut milk for this torte recipe.
- Honey or maple syrup - either of thees natural sweeteners will work to give this dessert the perfect amount of sweetness and keep it refined sugar free.
- Cacao powder - to make this treat so chocolatey! You could swap this for cocoa powder too.
How to make this recipe:
First you will make the crust by placing all the crust ingredients into your food processor and blending them until you have a sticky texture.
Next transfer the blended crust ingredients to a 9 inch spring form cake pan and press it down until you have a smooth, even layer. Then transfer the pan to the freezer while you make the filling layer.
To make the filling or pie layer, put the filling ingredients into your food processor and blend well until they are smooth and creamy.
Take the pan out of the freezer and pour the filling over the crust. Spread the filling out evenly using a spoon or knife.
Place the pan back in the freezer and let the cake freeze for 1-2 hours, until it has the texture you prefer.
When you are ready to serve it, take it out of the freezer and let it sit for 10-20 minutes before cutting into it. Then enjoy!
If you prefer this dessert to have more of a mousse like texture, freeze it for less time, but if you prefer more of an ice cream cake texture, freeze it for longer.
How to serve:
This cake is best served right away. If it sits on the counter too long the mousse topping will start to get a little runny.
How to store:
If you don't finish this avocado torte in one one sitting, store any leftovers in the freezer for up to 7 days.
Frequently asked questions:
Yes! avocados are such a healthy fruit. Some of the health benefits of avocados include:
They are a great source of mono-unsaturated fatty acids.
Are a great source of fibre.
Are loaded with vitamins and minerals including potassium, vitamin K, folate, vitamin C, vitamin B5, vitamin B6 and vitamin E.
Yes! This chocolate torte is both dairy free and vegan.
Yes! This is a no bake dessert that is also raw and plant based.
Nope! It doesn't taste like avocados at all. Just rich, dark chocolate.
Other recipes you will love:
- Healthy Carrot Cake Donuts
- Vegan Turtle Bars
- Vegan Blondies
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cereal Bars
- Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Paleo Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
- Paleo Lemon Blueberry Muffins
Since you made it this far we are basically best friends so be sure to follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, TikTok and Facebook where I share even more recipes and healthy living tips! And don’t forget to leave this recipe a star review before you go!
Chocolate Avocado Torte
- Place all of the ingredients into your food processor and blend well until desired texture (I still like to have some cashew chunks).
- Transfer the crust to a 9 inch round springform cake pan.
- Press the crust down with a spoon or spatula until you have a smooth, even layer.
- Place the pan in the freezer while you make the filling.
- Place all of the ingredients into your food processor and blend well, until smooth.
- Remove the pan from the freezer and pour the filling on top of the crust.
- Spread evenly until smooth.
- Place in the freezer for 1-2 hours, until it reaches the consistency you desire (Note: If you freeze this longer the texture is more like ice cream cake, and if you freeze it for less time it is more like a mousse).
- Remove from the freezer and let thaw for 10-20 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Nutritional values are estimates based on a generic nutrition calculator and will vary depending on the exact ingredients that you use.
- Store this cake in the freezer for up to 7 days.