These are the best vegan baked potatoes! They are so easy to cook in the oven and only take a few minutes to prep. This baked potato recipe is also dairy free and Whole30 compliant. It makes the perfect healthy side dish!
Why you will love this recipe:
- These dairy free baked potatoes have the most incredible flavour!
- These potatoes are so easy and simple to make and only require a few minutes of hands on time.
- Besides being vegan and dairy free these potatoes are also gluten free, plant-based, vegetarian and Whole30 compliant.
- They make great leftovers and are perfect for meal prep.
- You don't need to soak the potatoes before you bake them.
- This is probably the most simple vegan baked potato recipe out there!
- You can top these potatoes however you like to give them the flavour you prefer.
- They are nice and crispy on the outside with a tender, soft inside. Just the way a baked potato is meant to be!
Taste and texture:
These baked potatoes have the perfect crispy skin, with a soft, tender and fluffy inside. The herb coating add a delicious flavour to pump up the taste and make them the most amazing baked potatoes.
Key ingredients and substitutions:
- Russet potatoes - russet potatoes are the best potatoes to use to make baked potatoes. The skin crisps up perfectly when you bake them, yet the insides stay nice and tender.
- Avocado oil - avocado oil is one of my favourite plant based oils to bake with, but if you don't have avocado oil you can use olive oil instead.
- Herbs de Provence spice blend - this spice blend is used to give these vegetarian baked potatoes the most incredible flavour.
How to make this recipe:
First, preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
Now line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Then wash and dry your potatoes and transfer them to the baking sheet. Be sure to pierce the potatoes a few times with a knife or fork (you don't want them exploding in the oven).
Next coat the potatoes with avocado oil, rubbing it over all the sides evenly. Then sprinkle the salt, pepper and herbs over all the sides of the potatoes so they are coated evenly. Then place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 45 minutes.
Remove the baking sheet from the oven and let the potatoes cool for a few minutes before enjoying.
Tips and variations:
- Don't forget to pierce the skin of your potatoes before you bake them! If you don't they might explode in the oven.
- If you don't have avocado oil you can use coconut oil or olive oil instead.
- Feel free to change out the spice blend you use for these baked potatoes to give them a different flavour - Italian seasoning is another one of my favourites.
Topping ideas for baked potatoes:
- Vegan Sour Cream makes the perfect topping! I mean is there anything better than baked potatoes with sour cream?
- Add some chopped fresh chives or green onion.
- Top them with a little vegan butter or coconut oil.
- Add some cooked vegan bacon.
How to serve:
Potatoes make the perfect side dish for almost any meal. You can also turn them into loaded baked potatoes to make them a fun appetizer or main dish themselves.
How to store:
Store any leftover baked potatoes in the fridge in an air tight container for up two 7 days. I don't recommend trying to freeze baked potatoes. They turn out too mushy when you thaw them.
Frequently asked questions:
Potatoes are vegan, but often times the toppings used on baked potatoes are not vegan such as butter or sour cream. To make a potato vegan you can instead top it with vegan safe ingredients such as vegan butter or vegan sour cream.
To make a vegan baked potato you need to avoid any ingredients that come from animals such as butter, sour cream or cheese. Instead you can make baked potatoes with vegan butter or vegan sour cream to keep them plant based and dairy free.
Potatoes are a great option for vegan diets. They are plant based and contain healthy carbohydrates, fiber as well as vitamins and minerals. They are also inexpensive and budget friendly.
Instead of butter you can use olive oil, avocado oil, coconut oil or a vegan butter.
Other vegan recipes you will love:
- Vegan Sour Cream
- Vegan Blondies
- Cilantro Lime Dressing
- Buffalo sauce
- Cauliflower Fried Rice
- Easy Butternut Squash Soup
- Vegan Sriracha Mayonnaise
Since you made it this far we are basically best friends so be sure to follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, TikTok and Facebook where I share even more recipes and healthy living tips! And don’t forget to leave this recipe a star review before you go!
Vegan Baked Potatoes with Herbs
- Preheat your oven to 425F.
- Wash and dry the potatoes.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the potatoes on the baking sheet and poke each potato a few times with a knife or fork (if you don't do this they can explode in the oven).
- Drizzle the avocado oil over each potato and turn it over a few times to coat all sides.
- Sprinkle all sides of the potatoes with sea salt, black pepper and herbs de Provence spice blend.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for ~45 minutes, or until crisp on the outside and soft on the inside.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
- If you don't have avocado oil I would use melted coconut oil instead.
- Feel free to sub the herbs de Provence spice blend for other spices such as Italian seasoning.
- Top these baked potatoes however you like.