This Mexican Chicken Marinade is easy, healthy, and full of flavour. It’s keto, paleo, and works great with grilled chicken, steak, even shrimp and veggies! Use it for the most succulent chicken tacos and meal prep too.
MEXICAN CHICKEN MARINADE RECIPE
WHY THIS IS THE BEST CHICKEN MARINADE
- This gluten-free marinade is full of flavour and will make your chicken so juicy and tender! You’ll never want to season your chicken breasts any other way again.
- It’s made with all natural pantry staples for a quick and easy chicken dinner.
- If you’re looking for a great way to add moisture and flavour to your grilled chicken, this is it!
- Besides being gluten free, this marinade is keto, paleo, Whole30, and dairy free.
KEY INGREDIENTS FOR MEXICAN CHICKEN MARINADE:
- Oil — You only need a few basic ingredients for a great homemade marinade, and oil is critical. I use olive oil or avocado oil, but any neutral oil will work.
- Lime Juice — Citrus juice helps penetrate the chicken for the deepest flavour. When you’re talking about Mexican food, I always think lime juice.
- Oregano — This spice is so perfect for adding a sweet herbaceous flavour to your dinner.
- Cilantro — There’s no more Mexican herb than cilantro. I always garnish my chicken with fresh cilantro after cooking, but you can use dried cilantro for this marinade recipe.
- Cumin — If you want just a little of that classic Mexican spice, it’s cumin you need! I’ve grown to love this spice more and more as an adult.
- Paprika — You can use smoked or regular paprika for this marinade.
- Chili powder — Get that subtle smokiness with chili powder even if you choose to bake or sauté your chicken.
- Garlic — There’s nothing that’s not better with garlic, trust me. Add as little or as much as you want!
- Salt and Pepper
- Chicken Breasts — This is my favorite marinade for juicy grilled chicken breasts. You can use it on any cut of chicken, other meats, or tofu!
THE EQUIPMENT YOU’LL NEED TO MAKE THIS MARINADE:
- A set of measuring cups and spoons for all your ingredients
- A baking dish to marinate the chicken breasts – you could also use a ziplock bag or silicone bag as well
TIPS AND VARIATIONS FOR THIS MEXICAN CHICKEN MARINADE:
- This chicken marinade recipe works for up to 6 chicken breasts, but it’s easy to half, double, or even triple for a family cookout!
- This marinade also works for chicken thighs, steaks, seafood, or even grilled vegetables.
- You can marinade the chicken in a glass dish or in a plastic bag, whichever you prefer.
- This recipe can be easily adapted and modified! Like more garlic? Add another clove. Like it more spicy? Add more chili powder. The variations are endless.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
The best grilled chicken is always marinated first! It adds so much flavour deep into the raw chicken that you just can’t get with a spice rub. I always marinate chicken at least a few hours before cooking.
Marinating takes a little time. You want to marinate your chicken at least 2 hours. Busy day? You can start the night before and have a delicious dinner waiting in the fridge when you get home. When I use a plastic bag for marinating, I like to set it in a baking dish just in case it leaks.
Every marinade has a few basic components: acid, oil, and flavours. The oil and acid help permeate the meat and make it super juicy. The herbs and spices add extra flavour to the meat. With these three simple ingredients, you can make marinades at home!
MORE EASY DINNER RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE:
- Pork Belly in the Air Fryer
- Whole30 Chicken Stir Fry
- Duck Burgers
- Keto Steak Marinade
- Gluten-Free Meatloaf
SINCE YOU MADE IT THIS FAR WE ARE BASICALLY BEST FRIENDS SO BE SURE TO FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST AND FACEBOOK WHERE I SHARE EVEN MORE RECIPES AND HEALTHY LIVING TIPS! AND DON’T FORGET TO LEAVE THIS RECIPE A STAR REVIEW BEFORE YOU GO!
Mexican Chicken Marinade
This Mexican-inspired marinade recipe is perfect for grilled chicken breasts. Make the most succulent, flavourful chicken tacos ever!
Add all the marinade ingredients to a bowl or glass measuring cup. Stir well to combine.
Pour the marinade over the raw chicken breasts and let marinade for 2 hours, or up to overnight.
Cook the chicken how you like. You can either grill it or bake it in the oven.
- This marinade recipe works for up to 6 chicken breasts.
- This marinade also works for chicken thighs.
- You can marinade in a glass dish or in a plastic bag, whichever you prefer.
Pin this recipe for later: