This Mexican Chicken Marinade recipe is easy, healthy, and full of flavour. It’s keto, paleo, and works great with grilled chicken, steak, even shrimp and veggies! Use it for the most succulent chicken tacos and meal prep too.
Why you will love this recipe:
- This gluten-free marinade is full of flavour and will make your chicken so juicy and tender! You’ll never want to season your chicken breasts any other way again.
- This healthy Mexican marinade is made with all natural pantry staples for a quick and easy chicken dinner.
- If you’re looking for a great way to add moisture and flavour to your grilled chicken, this is it.
- Besides being gluten free, this marinade is keto, paleo, Whole30, and dairy free.
Key ingredients and substitutions:
- Oil — You only need a few basic ingredients for a great homemade marinade, and oil is critical. I use olive oil or avocado oil, but any neutral oil will work.
- Lime Juice — Citrus juice helps penetrate the chicken for the deepest flavour. When you’re talking about Mexican food, I always think lime juice. I recommend using freshly squeezed lime juice for the best taste.
- Oregano — This spice is so perfect for adding a sweet herbaceous flavour to your dinner.
- Cilantro — There’s no more Mexican herb than cilantro! It add’s a delicious flavour this this marinade.
- Cumin — If you want just a little of that classic Mexican spice, it’s cumin you need!
- Paprika — You can use smoked or regular paprika for this marinade.
- Chili powder — Get that subtle smokiness with chili powder.
- Garlic — There’s nothing that’s not better with garlic, trust me. Add as little or as much as you want!
- Chicken Breasts — This is my favorite marinade for juicy grilled chicken breasts. You can use it on any cut of chicken including chicken thighs too.
How to make this recipe:
First, add all the marinade ingredients to a bowl or glass measuring cup. Stir well to combine.
Next, pour the marinade over the raw chicken breasts and let marinade for 2 hours, or up to overnight.
Then cook the chicken however you like. You can either grill it or bake it in the oven.
TIPS AND VARIATIONS:
- This chicken marinade recipe works for up to 6 chicken breasts, but it’s easy to half, double, or even triple for a family cookout!
- This marinade also works for chicken thighs, steaks, seafood, or even grilled vegetables.
- You can marinade the chicken in a glass dish or in a plastic bag, whichever you prefer.
- This recipe can be easily adapted and modified! Like more garlic? Add another clove. Like it more spicy? Add more chili powder. The variations are endless.
- You can use this marinade as a chicken taco marinade.
How to store:
If you want extra marinade to use for later, make a double batch and use half now, and store the other half in the fridge in a jar for up to 2 days.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
The best grilled chicken is always marinated first! It adds so much flavour deep into the raw chicken that you just can’t get with a spice rub. I always marinate chicken at least a few hours before cooking.
Marinating takes a little time to work best and flavour chicken. You want to marinate your chicken for at least 2 hours but you can marinate it for as long as 24 hours if you like. The marinade will help tenderize the meat and add a delicious flavour to the chicken.
Every marinade has a few basic components: acid, oil, herbs and spices. The oil and acid help permeate the meat and make it super juicy. The herbs and spices add extra flavour to the meat. With these three simple ingredients, you can make marinades at home!
Is this marinade recipe keto?
Yes! This marinade is both keto and low carb.
Is this a spicy Mexican chicken marinade?
This marinade recipe is not very spicy. It has a little heat from the cumin and chili powder so if you are very sensitive to spice, you can reduce the amount of these spices that you add.
Can this Mexican chicken marinade be used for chicken thighs?
Yes! You can use this marinade for any type of chicken that you like – thighs, breasts, drumsticks or even chicken wings.
MORE EASY DINNER RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE:
- Pork Belly in the Air Fryer
- Whole30 Chicken Stir Fry
- Duck Burgers
- Keto Steak Marinade
- Gluten-Free Meatloaf
SINCE YOU MADE IT THIS FAR WE ARE BASICALLY BEST FRIENDS SO BE SURE TO FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST AND FACEBOOK WHERE I SHARE EVEN MORE RECIPES AND HEALTHY LIVING TIPS! AND DON’T FORGET TO LEAVE THIS RECIPE A STAR REVIEW BEFORE YOU GO!
Mexican Chicken Marinade
This Mexican-inspired marinade recipe is perfect for grilled chicken breasts. Make the most succulent, flavourful chicken tacos ever!
Add all the marinade ingredients to a bowl or glass measuring cup. Stir well to combine.
Pour the marinade over the raw chicken breasts and let marinade for 2 hours, or up to overnight.
Cook the chicken how you like. You can either grill it or bake it in the oven.
- This marinade recipe works for up to 6 chicken breasts.
- This marinade also works for chicken thighs.
- You can marinade in a glass dish or in a plastic bag, whichever you prefer.
Pin this recipe for later: