Forget cauliflower — try this Sweet Potato Rice recipe tonight! Make this fluffy, flavourful rice alternative in less than 30 minutes with just 3 steps and 4 simple ingredients.
SWEET POTATO RICE RECIPE
Sweet potato rice is such a fun alternative to cauliflower rice or regular rice. Plus sweet potatoes are loaded with vitamins and minerals and a great source of carbohydrates which are necessary for proper metabolic functions and energy. I know you are going to love this easy, healthy recipe!
WHY THIS IS THE BEST SWEET POTATO RICE:
- Sweet potatoes are so nutritious! They're packed with Vitamins A, C, and E — plus they're great for digestion, too.
- It's a delicious Whole30 side dish that can go anywhere rice does. From fried rice to Spanish rice, you can do anything with it.
- You only need 4 ingredients — sweet potatoes, oil, salt, and pepper! It's a great last-minute side dish.
- From prep to done, it's ready in less than half an hour. I love fast and easy recipes!
- It makes a great base for bowl meals and can be used in so many ways.
- It's a great allergy friendly option that is dairy free, gluten free, paleo and vegan!
KEY INGREDIENTS FOR SWEET POTATO RICE:
- Sweet Potatoes — I love this starchy vegetable because it's got all the things I love about potatoes but with more nutrition and a better flavour.
- Oil — I use coconut oil for my sautéing, but you can use a different neutral oil such as olive oil if you prefer.
- Salt and pepper
THE EQUIPMENT YOU'LL NEED TO MAKE THIS VEGGIE RICE:
- A food processor makes this recipe a breeze! You can also use a ricer.
- A safe, nonstick sauté pan or large skilled is the way to get perfectly cooked "rice" that's not mushy - learn how to choose the safest cookware here
TIPS AND VARIATIONS FOR THIS SWEET POTATO RICE:
- If you don't have a food processor, you could grate the sweet potato on a cheese grater or use a ricer.
- Feel free to add other spices such as ground cinnamon, ginger, turmeric, or chili powder to give it a different flavour.
- Instead of coconut oil, you could use a different fat or oil such as butter, ghee, olive oil or avocado oil
- You could easily add other ingredients such as corn or black beans to give this potato rice a different flavour
- Store this sweet potato rice in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH THIS VEGGIE RICE:
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
Yes! The starch in sweet potatoes makes it similar to regular rice. Just don't overcook it, or it can become mashed sweet potatoes. I like mine to have that al dente crunch of brown rice.
There are tons of natural benefits of sweet potatoes. Studies have shown they can help with vision, memory, blood pressure, digestion, and even stress levels! If you have a Vitamin A deficiency, sweet potatoes are a great vegetable to add to your diet.
OTHER SIDE DISH RECIPES YOU WILL LOVE:
Since you made it this far we are basically best friends so be sure to follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, TikTok and Facebook where I share even more recipes and healthy living tips! And don’t forget to leave this recipe a star review before you go!
Sweet Potato Rice
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes, peel and chopped
- 4 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Peel and chop the sweet potatoes
- Put the chopped sweet potato pieces into your food processor and pulse until you have rice sized pieces
- Put the coconut oil in a large pan on the stove on medium heat and let it melt. Once melted add the riced sweet potato, salt and pepper to the pan and stir well to combine. Turn down the heat and cook for ~25 minutes, stirring every couple minutes to prevent the sweet potato from sticking to the pan
- You'll know the rice is done when it starts to caramelize
- You could swap the coconut oil for another oil such as butter, ghee or avocado oil
- Feel free to add other spices such as ground cinnamon, turmeric or ginger to give it a different flavour
Will be making this soon i never had sweet potato rice before this is perfect for me as i dont eat rice perfect for my after office meals sorry i took a break from commenting on your posts as busy with work will dm you if i make this and let you know how it goes Thanks Ramya
Where has this been my whole life?? Absolutely delicious!!! Love how easy it is to customize. Easy to make. Whole food. Love it!!!
I'm so glad you like it!