This is the best healthy egg roll in a bowl recipe! It has all of the delicious flavours of an egg roll without any deep frying. It's made with your choice of protein, bell peppers, green onion, coleslaw and the best homemade sauce. This recipe is quick and easy and is great for meal prep.
Move over 40 Aprons, Skinnytaste and Pioneer Woman! This is the best healthy egg roll in a bowl recipe. It is one of my go-to dinner recipes that is perfect for meal planning or busy weeknight meals. It's full of flavour, filled with veggies including coleslaw mix or shredded cabbage, and bell peppers, and has the most delicious sauce. Everyone I have served this to so far has loved this recipe and I hope you do too.
Why you will love this recipe:
- This recipe is quick and easy to make and is ready to enjoy in just 30 minutes!
- The homemade sauce that pulls this egg roll in a bowl together has the most incredible flavour! Plus it’s super easy to make.
- This recipe is a fun and healthy way to enjoy the delicious flavor of a traditional egg roll, just without the deep fried coating.
- It is packed with fresh vegetables, including coleslaw mix (or shredded cabbage), carrots, green onion and bell pepper.
- This egg roll in a bowl makes great leftovers so it's a great meal prep option.
- This inside out egg roll in a bowl recipe is gluten free, paleo and can easily be made Whole30 compliant too.
Taste and texture:
This asian inspired recipe is saucy and flavourful with a little added crunch from the sunflower seeds and a nice texture from all the vegetables. The sauce adds such a rich flavour, but it's not spicy or too bold.
Key ingredients and substitutions:
Coleslaw – you could shred your own cabbage or buy pre-shredded coleslaw mix at the store to make this recipe even easier to make.
Green onion – to add a little kick and depth of flavour to the dish. Also, onion and cabbage are a fantastic combination when cooked down. You could swap this for white onion or yellow onion.
Ground meat - I suggest using ground pork, ground chicken, ground turkey or ground beef. You could even use shrimp if you prefer.
Bell pepper - to add some fresh flavour and texture to the dish. You can use any color of sweet bell peppers that you like for this recipe.
Sunflower seeds - high in protein and rich in healthy fats, sunflower seeds are a great nutritious addition to this dish. They also give this egg roll in a bowl a nice crunch!
Ginger and honey - these two ingredients give the sauce a gorgeously subtle spicy and sweet flavour!
How to make this recipe:
To make the sauce, place all the sauce ingredients in a large bowl or glass measuring cup and whisk together until smooth.
Next, place a large pan or wok on the stove and turn it on to medium heat and add the coconut oil. Once the oil is melted, add the ground meat and cook until it is cooked through, stirring frequently to break the meat apart and ensure it cooks though.
Now add the chopped bell peppers and green onion to the pan and cook for ~5 minutes.
Then add the coleslaw mix and sunflower seeds to the skillet and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
Lastly, add the sauce to the pan and mix everything well. Cook for an additional 5-10 minutes, until the vegetables are the texture you desire. Then, use a slotted spoon to serve and enjoy!
Tips and variations:
- This recipe is very versatile - use whatever type of ground meat that you like including ground beef, ground chicken, ground turkey or ground pork. You could also make this recipe with shrimp or omit the meat altogether to make it vegetarian.
- If you are on a Whole30 diet omit the honey from the recipe to make a Whole30 egg roll in a bowl.
- Instead of coconut aminos you can use soy sauce instead to make the sauce.
- You can either shred your own cabbage for this recipe or use a store bought coleslaw mix.
- You could omit the sunflower seeds from this recipe or swap them with another type of seed or nut of your choice.
- I recommend serving this dish with a slotted spoon to help drain off any of the extra liquid.
- Add some bean sprouts just before you serve this recipe to give it a bit more flavour and texture.
- Top it with chopped or crushed nuts such as cashew or peanuts.
- Add a little fresh cilantro.
- Top it with avocado for even more flavour and healthy fats.
How to store:
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
I don't recommend trying to freeze this dish as the coleslaw or cabbage will get rather mushy when it's thawed.
Frequently asked questions:
This egg roll in a bowl recipe is not keto or low carb. It has 28 grams of carbs per serving with 6 grams of fiber, giving it a net carb count of 22 grams per serving.
Egg roll in a bowl reheats really well. Simply place it in a microwave safe dish and heat it until it's warmed through. Alternatively, you could put it back in a heated pan and heat it up on the stovetop.
This egg roll in a bowl recipe has 635 calories per serving including 28 grams of total carbohydrates, 6 grams of fiber, and 26 grams of protein. The calorie count will vary depending on your serving size and this calorie count is assuming you split the recipe into 6 servings.
Yes absolutely! If you are vegetarian you can omit the meat and add more vegetables! If I were making this dish meatless I would add more bell pepper, onion, carrots, bean sprouts and maybe some tofu.
This egg roll in a bowl recipe doesn't need to be served with anything but it can be served over a bed of rice or cauliflower rice. If you like a little heat, drizzle some sriracha on top. You can also top it off with sesame seeds to add a little extra crunch.
Don't sweat it, you can shred your own coleslaw. All you need is a cabbage and some carrots if you choose. To shred the veggies you can use a box grater, mandolin or just a knife!
Other recipes you will love:
- Whole30 Asian Coleslaw
- Whole30 Chicken Stir Fry
- Healthy Teriyaki Chicken and Broccoli
- Frozen Egg Rolls in an Air Fryer
- Keto Coleslaw
- Low carb green beens and almonds
Since you made it this far we are basically best friends so be sure to follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, TikTok and Facebook where I share even more recipes and healthy living tips! And don’t forget to leave this recipe a star review before you go!
Healthy Egg Roll in a Bowl
- 1/2 cup coconut aminos (or soy sauce)
- 3 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoon coconut vinegar (or rice vinegar)
- 2 tablespoon avocado oil
- 2 tablespoon fish sauce (omit for vegetarian)
- 1 clove garlic, crushed (or 1 teaspoon garlic infused olive oil)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (or more to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1.5 lbs ground pork or chicken or beef
- 2 bell peppers, chopped
- 1 cup chopped green onion (or sub one medium onion, chopped)
- 8 cups coleslaw
- 1 cup raw sunflower seeds
- Place all the ingredients in a large bowl or glass measuring cup and whisk together until smooth.
- Place a large pan on the stove and turn on to medium heat and add the coconut oil and let it melt. Add the ground meat and cook until cooked through, stirring frequently to break up the meat.
- Add the chopped peppers and green onion to the pan and cook for ~5 minutes.
- Add the coleslaw mix and sunflower seeds to the pan and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add the sauce and mix well. Cook for an additional 5-10 minutes, until the vegetables are the texture you desire.
- Nutritional values are an estimate and will vary depending on the exact ingredients used.
- To make this recipe Whole30 compliant leave out the honey.
- Store this recipe in the fridge in an air tight container for up to 5 days.