This Healthy Egg Roll in a Bowl recipe gives you all of the delicious flavours of an egg roll without any deep frying. Complete with your choice of protein, bell pepper, green onion, coleslaw and the BEST homemade sauce. This recipe is quick, easy and healthy! Perfect for your weekly meal prep.
HEALTHY EGG ROLL IN A BOWL RECIPE
WHY THIS IS THE BEST HEALTHY EGG ROLL IN A BOWL RECIPE:
- This recipe is ready to enjoy in just 30 minutes!
- The homemade sauce that pulls this egg roll in a bowl together has the most incredible flavour! Plus it’s super easy to make.
- This recipe is a fun and healthy way to enjoy the delicious flavor of a traditional egg roll, just without the deep fried coating.
- It is packed with fresh vegetables, cabbage, carrots, green onion and bell pepper!
- Store leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container and enjoy for up to 5 days!
- This inside out egg roll in a bowl recipe is gluten free, paleo and can easily be made Whole30 compliant!
KEY INGREDIENTS FOR MAKING THIS INSIDE OUT EGG ROLL:
- Coleslaw – you could shred your own coleslaw or buy pre-shredded coleslaw at the store, like me!
- Green onion – to add a little kick and depth of flavour to the dish. Also, onion and cabbage are a fantastic combination when cooked down.
- Protein – Chef’s choice! I suggest using ground pork, chicken, turkey or beef.
- Bell pepper – to add some fresh flavour and texture to the dish.
- Sunflower seeds – high in protein and rich in healthy fats, sunflower seeds are a great nutritious addition to this dish. They also give this egg roll in a bowl a nice crunch!
- Cooking oil – I went with coconut oil because of its high smoke point and for some additional healthy fats.
- Ginger and honey – these two ingredients give the sauce a gorgeously subtle spicy and sweet flavour!
TIPS AND VARIATIONS FOR THIS EGG ROLL IN A BOWL RECIPE:
- This recipe is very versatile – use whatever type of ground meat that you like including ground beef, ground chicken, ground turkey or ground pork.
- If you are on a Whole30 diet omit the honey from the recipe.
- You could omit the sunflower seeds from this recipe or swap them with another type of seed or nut of your choice.
- I recommend serving this dish with a slotted spoon to help drain off any of the extra liquid.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
Other recipes you will love:
- Whole30 Asian Coleslaw
- Whole30 Chicken Stir Fry
- Healthy Teriyaki Chicken and Broccoli
- Frozen Egg Rolls in an Air Fryer
- Keto Coleslaw
- Low carb green beens and almonds
SINCE YOU MADE IT THIS FAR WE ARE BASICALLY BEST FRIENDS SO BE SURE TO FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST AND FACEBOOK WHERE I SHARE EVEN MORE RECIPES AND HEALTHY LIVING TIPS! AND DON’T FORGET TO LEAVE THIS RECIPE A STAR REVIEW BEFORE YOU GO!
Healthy Egg Roll in a Bowl
Healthy Egg Roll in a Bowl is going to become your new dinner favourite. With the most delicous sauce this recipe is packed with veggies and is ready in just minutes.
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 1.5 lbs ground pork or chicken or beef
- 2 bell peppers, chopped
- 1 cup chopped green onion (or sub one medium onion, chopped)
- 8 cups coleslaw
- 1 cup raw sunflower seeds
Place all the ingredients in a large bowl or glass measuring cup and whisk together until smooth
Place a large pan on the stove and turn on to medium heat and add the coconut oil and let it melt. Add the ground meat and cook until cooked through, stirring frequently to break up the meat
Add the chopped peppers and green onion to the pan and cook for ~5 minutes
Add the coleslaw and sunflower seeds to the pan and cook for an additional 5 minutes
Add the sauce and mix well. Cook for an additional 5-10 minutes, until the vegetables are the texture you desire
- To make this recipe Whole30 compliant leave out the honey
- Store this recipe in the fridge in an air tight container for up to 5 days
Pin this recipe for later: