This is the best keto coleslaw recipe! The creamy keto coleslaw dressing on this slaw is made with just six ingredients and has the most incredible flavour from mayonnaise, dijon mustard, and apple cider vinegar. Perfect for meal prep you will love how easy this salad is to make and that it only has 3 net carbs per serving!
Why you will love this recipe:
- Move over KFC! This is the best low carb coleslaw!
- The sugar free keto coleslaw dressing on this coleslaw is made with only six ingredients and has the most incredible flavour!
- It’s so easy to make.
- This coleslaw makes a great appetizer or side dish and would be great to bring to picnics, barbecues, tailgates or grill outs.
- This coleslaw recipe is naturally low in carbohydrates but tastes so good that even if you aren’t following a keto diet you will love it.
- It only has 3 net carbs per serving making it a low carb salad recipe.
- It makes great leftovers so is perfect for meal prep and is also a great make ahead recipe.
- Besides being low in carbs, this coleslaw recipe is also healthy, dairy free, gluten free, paleo and Whole30 compliant!
Key ingredients and substitutions:
- A bag of shredded coleslaw – you could also shred your own coleslaw or shred your own cabbage but it’s so much easier to buy pre-shredded, store bought shredded coleslaw or shredded cabbage.
- Green onion – to add just a bit more flavour to this healthy coleslaw recipe.
- Mayonnaise – this forms the base of the rich and creamy keto coleslaw dressing – just be sure to buy a low carb mayonnaise, or make your own. If you are looking at store bought mayonnaise, I love avocado mayo for making the perfect low carb coleslaw dressing. If you want to make your own mayo I love this recipe.
- Dijon mustard – to give the coleslaw dressing a little extra flavour. Just be sure to get a mustard that is low carb and keto compliant, as some brands do add sugar.
- Paprika – one of my favourite spices for adding flavour to dressings.
How to make this recipe:
First, place the coleslaw and chopped green onion into a salad bowl.
In a bowl or glass measuring cup, add the dressing ingredients and stir well until they are smooth and creamy.
Lastly, pour the dressing over the coleslaw mix and toss the coleslaw until it’s coated evenly in the dressing. Then serve and enjoy!
Tips, variations and add ins:
- The calorie and macro count for this recipe will vary depending on the type of coleslaw mix you buy (if it has more carrots that will increase the carb count), and the type of mayonnaise you use. For the keto diet, try and find a coleslaw mix that is mainly cabbage and a mayonnaise that has no, or very little sugar.
- If you like a sweeter dressing feel free to add 1 tablespoon of powdered or granulated Swerve, stevia or another keto sweetener or choice.
- Feel free to add other low carb veggies to this coleslaw such as diced celery or sliced cucumber, just be sure to account for them in your macro counts.
- To turn this into a loaded keto coleslaw, feel free to add other ingredients such as cooked bacon, hard boiled eggs or even steak.
- This coleslaw is a great make ahead recipe. To prepare it ahead of time mix it all the night before and store it in the fridge overnight. If you want to prepare it a few days in advance, mix the dressing and keep it in a separate container and then mix it into the cabbage when you are ready to serve, or the night before.
How to store:
Store any leftover coleslaw in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Frequently asked questions:
You can have mayo on a keto diet. Just be sure to read labels carefully and choose one that is made without sugar, and is low in carbohydrates. My favourite low carb mayonnaise options are avocado mayonnaise brands such as Chosen Foods Keto Mayonnaise or Primal Kitchen Mayo. You can also easily make your own keto mayonnaise in just a couple minutes using this recipe.
Can you have coleslaw on keto?
Coleslaw is a great option when you are following a low carb or keto diet. Cabbage is naturally low in carbs, and since coleslaw is mainly composed of shredded cabbage it makes a great option. Just be sure the coleslaw dressing you are using is low in carbs and sugar free.
1 cup of this coleslaw recipe has 5 grams of total carbohydrates, or 3 grams of net carbs including 2 grams of fiber and 2 grams of sugar. If you have half a cup of this coleslaw that would be 2.5 grams of carbs, with 1 gram of fiber and 1 gram of sugar, so only 1.5 grams of net carbs!
Other recipes you will love:
- Low carb green beens and almonds
- Low carb steak marinade
- Easy salt and pepper chicken wings
- Homemade keto mayonnaise
- Keto salmon loaf
SINCE YOU MADE IT THIS FAR WE ARE BASICALLY BEST FRIENDS SO BE SURE TO FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST AND FACEBOOK WHERE I SHARE EVEN MORE RECIPES AND HEALTHY LIVING TIPS! AND DON’T FORGET TO LEAVE THIS RECIPE A STAR REVIEW BEFORE YOU GO!
You will love this keto coleslaw! It's so easy to make and the low carb coleslaw dressing has the most incredible flavour and only requires six ingredients.
- 1 bag shredded coleslaw or cabbage (397 grams or ~7-8 cups)
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
Place the coleslaw and chopped green onion in a salad bowl.
In a glass measuring cup, add the dressing ingredients and stir well until smooth.
Pour the dressing over the coleslaw mix and toss the coleslaw until it's coated evenly in the dressing. Then serve and enjoy!
- When looking at the nutrition facts and macro counts, 1 serving is equal to one cup of this recipe.
- The calorie and macro count will vary depending on the type of coleslaw mix you buy (if it has more carrots that will increase the carb count), and the type of mayonnaise you use.
- Store this coleslaw in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Pin this recipe for later: