This is the best keto coleslaw recipe! It's so easy to make and the the creamy homemade keto coleslaw dressing on this slaw is made with just six ingredients and has the most incredible flavour from mayonnaise, dijon mustard, and apple cider vinegar. Plus it only has 3 net carbs per serving!
Why you will love this recipe:
- Move over KFC! This is the best low carb coleslaw!
- The sugar free keto coleslaw dressing on this coleslaw is made with only six ingredients and has the most incredible flavour!
- It's so quick, easy and simple to make.
- This cabbage salad makes a great appetizer or side dish and would be great to bring to picnics, barbecues, tailgates or grill outs.
- It only has 3 net carbs per serving making it a low carb cabbage salad recipe.
- It's made with no heavy cream, no stevia, no monk fruit, no sweeteners and no yogurt.
- This coleslaw salad makes great leftovers so is perfect for meal prep and is also a great make ahead recipe.
- Besides being low in carbs, this coleslaw recipe is also healthy, dairy free, gluten free, paleo and Whole30 compliant! It can easily be made vegan too.
- If you love coleslaw you will also love this Asian coleslaw recipe.
Taste and texture:
This healthy coleslaw recipe is creamy, tangy, and nice and crunchy. The combination of mayonnaise, dijon mustard and apple cider vinegar combine perfectly to make the most amazing low carb salad dressing. This dressing is not sweet or spicy but is seriously the best!
Key ingredients and substitutions:
- A bag of shredded coleslaw - you could also shred your own coleslaw or shred your own cabbage but it's so much easier to buy pre-shredded, store bought shredded coleslaw or shredded cabbage. You can use any color of cabbage that you like to make coleslaw in including purple cabbage, green cabbage or use a tricolor cabbage mix.
- Mayonnaise - this forms the base of the rich and creamy keto coleslaw dressing - just be sure to buy a low carb mayonnaise, or make your own. If you are looking at store bought mayonnaise, I love avocado mayo for making the perfect low carb coleslaw dressing. If you want to make your own mayo I love this recipe.
- Dijon mustard - to give the coleslaw dressing a little extra flavour. Just be sure to get a mustard that is low carb and keto compliant, as some brands do add sugar.
- Apple cider vinegar - this gives the dressing on this slaw that perfect tangy flavour. Instead of apple cinder vinegar you could use dill pickle juice or lemon juice instead.
- Paprika - one of my favourite spices for adding flavour to dressings.
How to make:
Place the coleslaw and chopped green onion in a salad bowl.
In a glass measuring cup, add the dressing ingredients and stir well until smooth.
Pour the dressing over the coleslaw mix and toss the coleslaw until it's coated evenly in the dressing. Then serve and enjoy!
- The calorie and macro count for this recipe will vary depending on the type of coleslaw mix you buy (if it has more carrots that will increase the carb count), and the type of mayonnaise you use. For the keto diet, try and find a coleslaw mix that is mainly cabbage and a mayonnaise that has no, or very little sugar.
- This coleslaw is a great make ahead recipe. To prepare it ahead of time mix it all the night before and store it in the fridge overnight. If you want to prepare it a few days in advance, mix the dressing and keep it in a separate container and then mix it into the cabbage when you are ready to serve, or the night before.
Variations and add ins:
- If you like a sweeter dressing feel free to add 1 tablespoon of powdered or granulated Swerve, stevia or another keto sweetener or choice.
- Feel free to add other low carb veggies to this coleslaw such as diced celery or sliced cucumber, just be sure to account for them in your macro counts.
- To turn this into a loaded keto coleslaw, feel free to add other ingredients such as cooked bacon, hard boiled eggs, ground beef, sausage or even steak.
- Instead of apple cider vinegar you can make the dressing with dill pickle juice or lemon juice.
- To make this coleslaw vegan, use a vegan mayo to make the homemade coleslaw dressing.
How to serve:
- You can use this slaw to make fish tacos or shrimp tacos.
- It can be served with pulled pork.
- Add tuna to turn it into tuna coleslaw.
- Add cooked bacon to add even more flavour and crunchy texture.
- Serve it with cooked sausages to make sausage and coleslaw.
One serving of this coleslaw has approximately 53 calories, 5 grams of total carbs, 2 grams of fiber, 3 grams of net carbs, 1 gram of protein and 3 grams of fat. It's a healthy low carb recipe that is also dairy free and gluten free too.
How to store:
Store any leftover coleslaw in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Frequently asked questions:
Yes you definitely can. Just be sure to read labels carefully and choose one that is made without sugar, and is low in carbohydrates. My favourite low carb mayonnaise options are avocado mayonnaise brands such as Chosen Foods Keto Mayonnaise or Primal Kitchen Mayo. You can also easily make your own keto mayonnaise in just a couple minutes using this recipe.
1 cup of this coleslaw recipe has 5 grams of total carbohydrates, including 2 grams of fiber and 2 grams of sugar and 3 grams of net carbs. If you have half a cup of this coleslaw that would be 2.5 grams of carbs, with 1 gram of fiber and 1 gram of sugar.
KFC coleslaw is not low in carbs or keto. One serving of the KFC coleslaw has 16 grams of carbs, 14 grams of sugar, 2 grams of fiber and 14 grams of net carbs.
No it is not. One serving of Nando's coleslaw has 11.4 grams of total carbs with 7.5 grams of sugar, 0.8 grams of fiber and 10.6 grams of net carbs.
Red Lobster's coleslaw is not keto or low carb. One serving has a 17 grams of total carbs, 3 grams of fiber, 11 grams of sugar and 14 grams of net carbs.
Other recipes you will love:
- Low carb green beens and almonds
- Low carb steak marinade
- Easy salt and pepper chicken wings
- Homemade keto mayonnaise
- Keto salmon loaf
- Asian cucumber salad
Since you made it this far we are basically best friends so be sure to follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, TikTok and Facebook where I share even more recipes and healthy living tips! And don’t forget to leave this recipe a star review before you go!
- 1 bag shredded coleslaw or cabbage (397 grams or ~7-8 cups)
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- Place the coleslaw and chopped green onion in a salad bowl.
- In a glass measuring cup, add the dressing ingredients and stir well until smooth.
- Pour the dressing over the coleslaw mix and toss the coleslaw until it's coated evenly in the dressing. Then serve and enjoy!
- When looking at the nutrition facts and macro counts, 1 serving is equal to one cup of this recipe.
- The calorie and macro count will vary depending on the type of coleslaw mix you buy (if it has more carrots that will increase the carb count), and the type of mayonnaise you use.
- Store this coleslaw in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 5 days.