This is the best Whole30 teriyaki chicken and broccoli recipe! The healthy homemade teriyaki sauce on this stir fry is full of flavour and made with coconut aminos so it's also paleo and gluten free. This recipe makes great leftovers and is perfect for meal prep.
Why you will love this recipe:
- This paleo teriyaki chicken and broccoli is a healthy stir fry alternative.
- The teriyaki sauce is so incredibly tasty and because it's made with coconut aminos it's soy free and gluten free!
- It's really easy to make and is ready in under 20 minutes!
- It makes a great option for weeknight dinners and is perfect for meal prep too.
- It makes great leftovers and stores well in the fridge.
- Not only is this recipe Whole30 compliant but it's also paleo, dairy free and gluten free.
- Because the sauce is refined sugar free this is a healthier version of traditional Japanese style teriyaki chicken dishes.
Key ingredients and substitutions:
- Coconut aminos - this forms the base of the delicious teriyaki sauce for this recipe. If you aren't on a Whole30 diet or paleo diet you can use soy sauce instead.
- Dates - to add some natural sweetness to the teriyaki sauce while keeping it refined sugar free and healthy!
- Fresh ginger - to help add some delicious flavour to the sauce.
- Chili flakes - just a pinch to give this recipe even more flavour.
- Tapioca starch/ flour - to help thicken the teriyaki sauce for this recipe. If you aren't on a Whole30 you can use corn starch instead.
- Garlic or garlic infused olive oil - for even more flavour!
- Chicken breasts - this recipe is high in protein because of the chicken. I personally recommend using boneless and skinless chicken breasts for this recipe. You could also use chicken thighs if you wish.
- Avocado oil or coconut oil - to help cook the chicken and broccoli.
- Broccoli - I love the way the broccoli soaks up the flavours of the teriyaki sauce in this dish.
Taste and texture:
This recipe has such a delicious flavour! The homemade teriyaki sauce is slightly sweet, a little sticky and with a little heat. The chicken and broccoli soak up the flavours perfectly and give this dish some nice texture as well as protein, vitamins and minerals.
How to make this recipe:
Add the ingredients for the sauce to your high speed blender and blend well until smooth.
Place a large pan on the stove on medium heat and add the oil.
Add the cut chicken breasts and cook for 1-2 minutes per side, until the chicken is fully cooked on all sides.
Add the broccoli to the pan and pour the sauce over the chicken and broccoli and stir until combined.
Turn down the heat and simmer for approximately 10 minutes, stirring frequently until the broccoli is the consistency you desire.
- Make a double or tripe batch of the sauce and save some to use later.
- I recommend using boneless, skinless chicken breasts but you could use chicken thighs if you wish.
- The tapioca starch is used to thicken the sauce. If you want a thinner sauce simply omit it.
Variations and add ins:
- Feel free to add other vegetables to this Whole30 stir fry such as bell peppers, carrots, celery or peas.
- Try adding green onion to the sauce to give it a little different flavour.
- Feel free use the healthy homemade teriyaki sauce from this recipe as a Whole30 teriyaki chicken marinade or a paleo teriyaki chicken marinade.
How to serve:
- If you are following a Whole30 or paleo diet I would serve this in a small bowl with cauliflower rice.
- It also goes great with white rice or rice noodles.
- You can top this dish with sesame seeds or cashews.
- Chopped green onion also makes a great garnish for this dish.
How to store:
Store this dish in the fridge in an air tight container for up to 5 days. Simply reheat it when you are ready to eat it.
Frequently asked questions:
It depends on what the sauce is made of. Many teriyaki sauces contain a lot of sugar. However the sauce for this teriyaki chicken dish is healthy because it's refined sugar free! Instead it's sweetened naturally with dates.
Usually teriyaki sauce is made from soy sauce as the base with added ingredients like ginger, garlic, chilis, onion and sugar. Instead of using soy sauce the sauce for this Whole30 teriyaki chicken uses coconut aminos.
Besides broccoli, other vegetables that go great with teriyaki chicken are cooked bell peppers, carrots, peas and celery. It also pairs well with cauliflower rice or white rice.
Other Whole30 recipes you will love:
- Dairy Free Alfredo Sauce
- Dairy Free Scalloped Potatoes
- Whole30 Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Soup
- Paleo Spanish rice
- Whole30 Cream of Potato Soup
- Whole30 Chicken Stir Fry
- Beef Curry Stew
- Whole30 Sloppy Joes
- Paleo Salt and Pepper Chicken Wings
Since you made it this far we are basically best friends so be sure to follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, TikTok and Facebook where I share even more recipes and healthy living tips! And don’t forget to leave this recipe a star review before you go!
Whole30 Teriyaki Chicken and Broccoli
Teriyaki Sauce Ingredients
- 2-3 chicken breasts, diced
- 3 tablespoon avocado oil or coconut oil
- 5 cups broccoli
- Place all the ingredients into your Vitamix or other high speed blender and blend well until smooth.
Chicken and Broccoli Directions
- Place a large pan on the stove on medium heat and add the oil.
- Add the diced chicken breasts and cook for 1-2 minutes per side, until the chicken is fully cooked.
- Add the broccoli to the pan.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and broccoli and stir until combined.
- Turn down the heat and simmer for another ~10 minutes, stirring frequently until the broccoli is the consistency you desire.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Feel free to add other vegetables such as bell peppers or carrots to this dish.
- You can double the sauce and save some for later.
- Nutritional values are estimates and will vary depending on the exact ingredients you use.