The colours and flavour of this Christmas chicken recipe are perfect for the holidays. Made in one pan with chicken breasts, cranberries, maple syrup and broccoli this is such an easy and simple baked chicken dish that your whole family will love.
Why did I call this recipe Christmas Chicken? Because the colours reminded me so much of Christmas. I could have also called it cranberry maple chicken or cranberry chicken with maple but I just loved Christmas Chicken so much more.
Of course you can eat this chicken any time, not just at Christmas, but if you are looking for something other than turkey to have for the holidays this chicken dish would be perfect. It would also be great to serve at Thanksgiving. Not only does it taste amazing, it's also really easy to make and looks so pretty!
Why you will love this recipe:
- This cranberry maple chicken recipe is so good! The combination of maple syrup and cranberries is the perfect mix of sweet and sour flavours to give this chicken recipe the most incredible flavour.
- The mix of green from the broccoli and red from the cranberries gives it such a pretty, vibrant color.
- It's so easy and simple to make.
- It only uses one pan to cook so your clean up is so simple and easy.
- This chicken recipe makes great leftovers so it's perfect for meal prep.
- This recipe is healthy, gluten free, dairy free and paleo friendly.
Key ingredients and substitutions:
- Chicken breasts – boneless, skinless chicken breasts are the meat used to make this Christmas chicken recipe. I recommend using free range chicken if possible for the most health benefits and the ethical treatment of the chickens.
- Cranberries – fresh cranberries give this holiday chicken recipe such a pretty color and unique, delicious flavour. The cranberries and maple syrup combine beautifully to give this chicken such a brilliant taste.
- Broccoli – fresh broccoli adds vitamins, minerals and fiber to this dish. The green also adds a fun pop of color to contrast with the red cranberries.
- Maple syrup – maple syrup adds the perfect amount of sweetness to contrast the tart cranberries.
- Balsamic vinegar – balsamic vinegar helps add more sweet flavour to this chicken and it also helps tenderize the meat.
- Herbs de Provence spice blend – the combination of fennel, marjoram, parsley, rosemary, tarragon, and thyme blend perfectly to give this healthy chicken a beautiful flavour.
How to make this recipe:
First you are going to make the marinade. Simply put the marinade ingredients into a bowl or large measuring cup and stir well.
Then place the remaining ingredients into a large glass or ceramic pan. pour the marinade over the ingredients and turn the chicken breasts a few times to ensure they get coated well.
Let the ingredients marinate for 30-60 minutes.
Then turn on the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Cover the dish in tin foil and make for 30-35 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through. Then serve and enjoy!
Tips and variations:
- Try to use chicken breasts that are all the same size so that they cook evenly.
- If you don’t have fresh cranberries you can use frozen cranberries instead.
- Feel free to change up the seasonings on this chicken. Other great options include basil, rosemary, or thyme.
- If you are serving a crowd feel free to double or triple this recipe.
- Depending on the size of the chicken breasts you are using you may need to adjust the cooking time.
What to serve with this dish:
- White rice or cauliflower rice
- Mashed potatoes or mashed cauliflower
- Roasted potatoes or green beans
- Cooked squash (butternut and spaghetti are my favourite)
How to store:
Store any leftovers in an air tight container for up to 5 days.
Frequently asked questions:
You can easily serve chicken instead of turkey for Christmas.
You can soak chicken in a marinade or brine to help make it more tender.
To make chicken moist, either marinate it or brine it before cooking it. Also be sure not to overcook it.
Other recipes you will love:
- Teriyaki Chicken Stir Fry Sheet Pan Meal
- Meatloaf with Blueberries
- Healthy Sloppy Joes
- Maple Cranberry Brussels Sprouts
- Lemon Bars with Cranberry
Since you made it this far we are basically best friends so be sure to follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, TikTok and Facebook where I share even more recipes and healthy living tips! And don’t forget to leave this recipe a star review before you go!
- 3/4 cup avocado oil (or olive oil)
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon herbes de provence spice blend
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon powdered mustard
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 head broccoli, chopped
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- Make the marinade by mixing all the ingredients together in a bowl or large mixing cup.
- Place the chicken breasts, broccoli and cranberries in a large glass or ceramic baking dish.
- Pour the marinade over the ingredients, turning the chicken breasts a few times to ensure coated.
- Let everything marinate for 30-60 minutes.
- Turn the oven on to 350F.
- Cover the baking dish in tin foil and place it into the oven.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until the chicken is fully cooked.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
- This recipes yields 4 servings but feel free to double or triple it if you are serving a crowd.
- Depending on the size of your chicken breasts you may have to alter the cooking time slightly.
- Store any leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 6 days.
Delicious!! The cranberries are such an underrated fruit and I loved adding them to the recipe! I used Primal Kitchen’s Oil & Vinegar Salad Dressing as marinade to make it easier but really the best part is the mixture of baked cranberries and broccoli with the chicken! Great recipe, Erin!
Oh I am so glad you loved it!!!!