This healthy meatloaf without breadcrumbs is the ultimate in comfort food. Easy and simple to make, this variation of a classic meatloaf is low carb and made without breadcrumbs and with no ketchup. It's naturally sweetened with blueberries and is gluten free, dairy free, grain free, keto, low carb and perfect for Whole30 and paleo diets.
Why you will love this recipe:
- This is the best healthy meatloaf recipe! It's full of flavour and is never dry or boring. It's the perfect comfort food.
- It's so simple and easy to make!
- It doesn't contain any hard to find ingredients and comes together in just a few minutes.
- This low carb meatloaf doesn't contain any bread and is made without breadcrumbs.
- Instead of using ketchup or bbq sauce this meatloaf is naturally sweetened with blueberries. Yes blueberries! But don't worry, it doesn't taste like blueberries.
- It's safe for many different diets including paleo, gluten free, dairy free, Whole30, SCD, GAPS, low carb or keto, and the SIBO diet.
- This meatloaf freezes really well, makes great leftovers and is perfect for meal prep.
- It's made with no cheese, no bacon, no ketchup and no flour and instead uses almond flour as a binder.
- It has only 3 grams of carbs per serving!
- It's kid friendly!
Taste and Texture:
This meatloaf is full of flavour and is so juicy and tender. The combination of blueberry puree and herbs combines beautifully to give this meatloaf such a delicious taste. But don't worry, it doesn't taste like blueberries!
Key ingredients and substitutions:
- Ground beef - ground beef is my favourite ground meat for making meatloaf. It's full of rich flavour and taste. I recommend using grass fed and grass finished ground beef if possible for the extra health benefits and ethical treatment of the cows.
- Almond flour - almond flour is used to help bind this meatloaf when it cooks. Almond flour is used instead of bread crumbs to keep this recipe low in carbs.
- Blueberries - it may sound strange to put blueberries in meatloaf but they add the perfect amount of sweet flavour to this recipe while keeping this meatloaf low in sugar and with using no ketchup.
- Eggs - eggs are full of healthy protein and help add moisture to this meatloaf and help bind the meatloaf together.
- Spices - the combination of rosemary, Herbs de Provence spice blend, basil, salt and pepper blend beautifully to give this meatloaf recipe the most incredible flavour.
How to make this recipe:
First, turn your oven on to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Next puree the blueberries by putting them into your blender or food processor and blending well until they are smooth (you want 2/3 cup of pureed blueberries).
Then place all the ingredients into a large bowl and stir well until everything is smooth and blended together.
Now line a bread pan with parchment paper and transfer the beef mixture to the lined pan and spread evenly with knife or spoon until you have an even layer.
Then place the pan in the oven and bake for 50-55 minutes, until the beef is cooked through. Let it cool for a few minutes, and drain any excess liquid. Cut the meatloaf into pieces, then enjoy!
Chef's tips and variations:
- Be sure to let the meatloaf cool for a few minutes before you cut it and serve. This helps it get even more tender and moist.
- Instead of green onion you could use white onion to make this meatloaf.
How to serve:
This meatloaf is delicious served as is, but you could also top it with ketchup or with barbecue sauce if you want even more flavour.
How to store:
Store any leftover meatloaf in the fridge in an air tight container for up to 5 days.
This meatloaf also freezes really well for up to 3 months.
Frequently asked questions:
Almond flour! That's what is used in this recipe to make it naturally gluten, grain free and low carb.
Yes! So if you have celiac or are gluten intolerant you will have no problems eating it.
This will depend on your portion sizes, but if you get 8 servings from this meatloaf that equals 3.4 grams per serving. If you get 6 servings out of it that would equal 4.5 grams per serving. If you add BBQ on top make sure you account for those extra carbohydrates as well.
Other recipes you will love:
- Blueberry Lemonade with Mint
- Bacon and Vegetable Egg Casserole
- Paleo BBQ Sauce
- Carrot Dip with Chilis
- Whole30 Cauliflower Alfredo Sauce
Since you made it this far we are basically best friends so be sure to follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, TikTok and Facebook where I share even more recipes and healthy living tips! And don’t forget to leave this recipe a star review before you go!
Healthy Meatloaf without Breadcrumbs
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 large eggs (use free range)
- 1/3 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 2/3 cup pureed blueberries (puree them in a blender or food processor)
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tbsp herbs de provence spice blend
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- BBQ sauce for serving
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- Puree the blueberries in a food processor or blender until they are smooth.
- Add all the ingredients to a large bowl and mix well with a spoon to combine the ingredients well.
- Line a bread pan with parchment paper and transfer the ingredients from the bowl to the pan and spread evenly with a spoon or knife.
- Bake the meatloaf for 50-55 minutes, until cooked through. Let the loaf cool for a few minutes and drain off any excess liquid.
- If you are using bbq sauce, spread it on top of the meatloaf before cutting it into pieces.
- Serve and enjoy!
- This meatloaf stores well in the fridge and makes great leftovers.
- Feel free to sub the green onion for chopped white onion.
- If you add BBQ sauce when you serve this meatloaf make sure you account for those extra carbohydrates in your carbohydrate counts.
Absolutely delicious!! Such a great flavor profile.
Oh yay I am so glad you liked it! Thanks for letting me know.