Air fryer popcorn turns out so light and fluffy! Easy to make the clean up is simple and there is no pot to worry about. Ready in just 15 minutes, popcorn in an air fryer is a healthy snack that the whole family will love.
How to Make Popcorn in an Air Fryer
Why you are going to love air fryer popcorn:
- It’s easy to make and you’ll have light and fluffy popcorn that is ready in just 15 minutes!
- It’s a healthy snack that’s naturally gluten free and vegan.
- The clean up is so simple!
- It’s so versatile. You can top it with whatever seasonings you like to give it a unique flavour.
The ingredients you need to make popcorn in air fryer:
- Popcorn kernels
- Avocado oil (or other oil of choice)
The equipment needed to make air fried popcorn:
An important note about making popcorn in an air fryer:
While it is possible to make popcorn in the air fryer, it’s not recommended, as it can actually wreck your air fryer. Air fryers are not closed inside. The fan and vents are directly above the basket or racks, which allows the air to circulate. This also means it’s really easy to blow small foods, like popcorn kernels, around the inside of the air fryer. When that happens, popcorn kernels can easily lodge inside the heating element, causing your air fryer to short and potentially create a fire hazard. For that reason, I don’t really recommend using an air fryer for your popcorn, even though it can be done. However, if you do want to try it (at your own risk of course) the method I share here is the best one I’ve found.
Tips and variations for making popcorn in the air fryer:
- Making popcorn in the air fryer is challenging. This method is the best I have found for the air fryer that I have, but note that if you have a different model you will likely need to modify the directions.
- Not all the kernels will pop when you make popcorn in the air fryer. If you try and get all the kernels to pop, some of the kernels will end up burning
- I recommend keeping the top tray in the air fryer to help block the popped kernels from hitting the top of the air fryer
- Instead of avocado oil you could coat the tin foil in melted butter or coconut oil
- If you don’t want to pre-heat the air fryer I recommend cooking the popcorn for 13 minutes at 400F
- Topping ideas: melted butter or coconut oil, sea salt, seasoning salt, truffle salt, dried dill or ground black pepper
- If you have a basket style air fryer: preheat the air fryer at 400F for 5 minutes. Then line the basket with foil and place the kernels on the foil. Cook it for 6-8 minutes at 400F, or until the popping stops.
Other air fryer recipes you will love:
- Frozen French fries in the air fryer
- Frozen burgers in the air fryer
- Air fryer pork belly
- Air fryer salmon cakes with lemon dill aioli
- Air fryer frozen chicken wings
Want an air fryer but aren’t sure which one to get? I use and love the Chefman 6.3 Quart Air Fryer!
SINCE YOU MADE IT THIS FAR WE ARE BASICALLY BEST FRIENDS SO BE SURE TO FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST AND FACEBOOK WHERE I SHARE EVEN MORE RECIPES AND HEALTHY LIVING TIPS! AND DON’T FORGET TO LEAVE THIS RECIPE A STAR REVIEW BEFORE YOU GO!
Air Fryer Popcorn
Making popcorn in an air fryer is so easy! It turns out perfect and buttery and the clean up is so simple!
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/4 cup popcorn kernels
Line the bottom tray of your air fryer with tinfoil. Spread the avocado oil out on the tinfoil
Preheat the air fryer by turning it onto 400F for 5 minutes. While the air fryer is still warm, pour the popcorn kernels onto the tinfoil lined tray. Cook at 400F for 10 minutes. Keep the door closed for another 1-2 minutes, to allow more kernels to pop
- Making popcorn in the air fryer is challenging. If you have a different air fryer you may need to alter the cooking times
- Optional topping ideas: melted butter or coconut oil, sea salt, seasoning salt, truffle salt, dried dill or ground pepper
Pin this post for later:
Yes! To do so, preheat your air fryer for 5 minutes at 400F and then cook the kernels for 10 minutes at 400F.