Air fryer popcorn turns out so light and fluffy! Easy to make the clean up is simple and there is no pot to worry about. Ready in just 15 minutes, popcorn in an air fryer is a healthy snack that the whole family will love.
Why you will love this recipe:
- It's so easy to make popcorn in air fryer and you'll have perfect light and fluffy popcorn that is ready in just 15 minutes!
- It's a healthy snack that's naturally gluten free and vegan.
- The clean up is so simple! There is no pot to worry about or stove top to clean. You just place the air fryer trays in the dishwasher when you're done.
- It's so versatile. You can top it with whatever seasonings you like to give it a unique flavour.
Ingredients and substitutions:
- Popcorn kernels - any brand will do. I prefer to use organic, GMO free popcorn.
- Avocado oil - or other cooking oil of your choice. Other options include olive oil, coconut oil or butter.
- Seasonings of your choice - I like to keep it simple by using sea salt but you can add whatever seasonings you like including seasoning salt, dill, truffle salt etc.
Taste and texture:
You will love how good popcorn in an air fryer tastes! It's so light and fluffy with just a bit of crunch. The flavour will depend on what seasonings you add - I prefer to keep it simple with salt, but you can add other seasonings such as dill, truffle salt, cinnamon etc.
How to make:
First, line the bottom tray of your air fryer with tinfoil. Then spread the oil out over the tinfoil so that it's evenly coated.
Next, preheat the air fryer by turning it onto 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 5 minutes. While the air fryer is still warm, pour the popcorn kernels onto the tinfoil lined tray. Then cook the popcorn kernels for 10 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Once the 10 minutes is up, keep the air fryer door closed for another 1-2 minutes to allow more kernels to pop.
If you have a basket style air fryer:
Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Then line the basket with tinfoil and place the kernels on the foil. Cook it for 6-8 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit, or until the popping stops. Keep the lid closed for another 1-2 minutes to allow any extra kernels to finish popping.
- Making popcorn in the air fryer is challenging. This method is the best I have found for the air fryer that I have, but note that if you have a different model you will likely need to modify the directions.
- If you don't want to pre-heat the air fryer I recommend cooking the popcorn for 13 minutes at 400F.
- Not all the kernels will pop when you make popcorn in the air fryer. If you try and get all the kernels to pop, some of the kernels will end up burning.
- I recommend keeping the top tray in the air fryer to help block the popped kernels from hitting the top of the air fryer.
Variations and add ins:
- Instead of avocado oil you could coat the tin foil in melted butter, coconut oil or olive oil.
- Topping ideas: melted butter or coconut oil, sea salt, seasoning salt, truffle salt, dried dill or ground black pepper.
An important note:
While it is possible to make popcorn in the air fryer, it is not actually recommended, as it can wreck your air fryer. Air fryers are not closed inside as the fan and vents are directly above the basket or racks, which allows the air to circulate. This means it’s really easy to blow small foods, like popcorn kernels, around the air fryer. When this happens, popcorn kernels can lodge in the heating element, causing your air fryer to short and potentially catch fire. For that reason, I don’t really recommend using an air fryer for making your popcorn, even though it can be done.
Frequently asked questions:
How many calories are in air fryer popcorn?
As written, this recipe has 69 calories per serving, but the calorie count will vary depending on the toppings you add and the oil you use.
What temperature is best for cooking popcorn in air fryer?
Popcorn cooks best at 400 degrees Fahrenheit when cooked in the air fryer.
My popcorn kernels aren't popping, what do I do?
The popcorn kernels won't pop as well in the air fryer if you don't add the oil, so be sure you don't try to make this recipe with no oil. As well, all the kernels won't pop when you cook them, so it is normal to have some left at the end of the cooking time.
Other air fryer recipes you will love:
- Frozen French fries in the air fryer
- Frozen burgers in the air fryer
- Air fryer pork belly
- Air fryer salmon cakes with lemon dill aioli
- Air fryer frozen chicken wings
SINCE YOU MADE IT THIS FAR WE ARE BASICALLY BEST FRIENDS SO BE SURE TO FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST AND FACEBOOK WHERE I SHARE EVEN MORE RECIPES AND HEALTHY LIVING TIPS! AND DON’T FORGET TO LEAVE THIS RECIPE A STAR REVIEW BEFORE YOU GO!
Air Fryer Popcorn
- An air fryer
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1/4 cup popcorn kernels
- Line the bottom tray of your air fryer with tinfoil. Spread the avocado oil out on the tinfoil.
- Preheat the air fryer by turning it onto 400F for 5 minutes. While the air fryer is still warm, pour the popcorn kernels onto the tinfoil lined tray. Cook at 400F for 10 minutes. Keep the door closed for another 1-2 minutes, to allow more kernels to pop.
- Making popcorn in the air fryer is challenging. If you have a different air fryer you may need to alter the cooking times.
- Optional topping ideas: melted butter or coconut oil, sea salt, seasoning salt, truffle salt, dried dill or ground pepper.
- Nutritional values will vary depending on the exact ingredients you use.