These paleo orange chocolate muffins are the best! The combination of orange and dark chocolate is just perfect and they have the most incredible texture. These muffins are so easy to make and turn out light and fluffy. These healthy muffins are also gluten free and are perfect for breakfast, snacks or anytime.
Why you will love this recipe:
- These orange chocolate muffins taste amazing! The combination of orange and dark chocolate is just perfect.
- Have you ever had a Terry’s chocolate orange? If so you will love these muffins! The taste is similar.
- They are really easy to make and the clean up is so simple.
- You would never guess that these muffins are grain free, gluten free and dairy free. They have the most incredible texture.
- They freeze really well so feel free to make a double or triple batch to have some on hand for later.
- These paleo muffins are great for meal prep. I love making a batch on Sunday and having an easy breakfast on hand all week.
- These muffins make a healthy breakfast or snack.
- If you love orange chocolate you will also love this orange chocolate fudge recipe!
Key ingredients and substitutions:
- Almond flour – Almond flour is one of my favourite paleo flours to bake with. It has the perfect texture for making baked goods and not only is it grain free and gluten free but it’s full of healthy fats and protein too. Instead of almond flour you can use cashew flour.
- Coconut flour – Coconut flour blends perfectly with the almond flour to give these grain free muffins the best texture with nice firm muffin tops.
- Tapioca flour – Tapioca flour helps to give these muffins a light and fluffy texture. Be sure not to confuse this with cassava flour as they are not the same thing.
- Fresh orange juice – to give these muffins the perfect orange flavour plus add moisture to this recipe.
- Dark chocolate – To make these muffins you can use either dark chocolate bars that you break into pieces, or dark chocolate chips. If you are following the paleo diet just make sure the chocolate you get is dairy free and soy free.
How to make this recipe:
First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Next, add all the ingredients, except for the chocolate bars, into the bowl of your standing mixer and blend well until they’re smooth.
Then you will stir in the broken chocolate bars or chocolate chips by hand.
Lastly, line a muffin pan with parchment paper muffin cups and transfer the batter to the cups. Bake the muffins for 22-24 minutes, until a toothpick inserted inside comes out clean. Let the muffins cool and then enjoy!
- These muffins freeze really well so feel free to make a double or triple batch to save some for later.
- Use room temperature eggs for best results.
Variations and add ins:
- If you can’t have almond flour I would recommend using cashew flour instead – do not try substituting any other flours! These muffins will not work out if you do.
- Instead of broken chocolate bars you could use 6 ounces of chocolate chips instead.
- Feel free to drizzle a little melted chocolate onto the tops of the muffinslike I did for the photos for even more chocolate flavour!
How to store:
Store these muffins in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 7 days.
Frequently asked questions:
Absolutely not! They will not turn out if you try this. Cassava flour and tapioca flour are very different flours and cannot be interchanged.
The brands that I use and love include Zazubean and Hu chocolate because they are dairy free, soy free and use coconut sugar to sweeten them. If you know of other brands please let me know and I can add them to the list.
These orange chocolate muffins are not vegan because they are made with eggs. I have not tried making them without eggs or with any egg replacements and I am not sure how they would turn out.
Other recipes you will love:
- Grain free Bagels
- Paleo Zucchini Muffins with Chocolate
- Paleo Lemon Blueberry Muffins
- Apple Pie Bars
- Paleo Turtle Cookie Bars
Since you made it this far we are basically best friends so be sure to follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, TikTok and Facebook where I share even more recipes and healthy living tips! And don’t forget to leave this recipe a star review before you go!
Paleo Orange Chocolate Muffins
- A little extra chocolate to drizzle on top of the muffins
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- Add all the ingredients, except the chocolate bars, into the bowl of your standing mixer and blend well until smooth.
- Stir in the broken chocolate bars by hand.
- Line a muffin pan with parchment paper muffin cups and transfer the batter to the cups. Bake the muffins for 22-24 minutes, until a toothpick inserted inside comes out clean.
- Feel free to use paleo friendly chocolate chips instead of chocolate bars.
- Do not try swapping flours for these muffins – they will not turn out.
- These muffins freeze really well.
- Nutritional values are an estimate and will vary depending on the exact ingredients used.