You are going to love this gluten free cherry crisp recipe. It's so easy to make and has the most amazing sweet flavour. Made with healthy ingredients this cherry crumble is also dairy free and grain free and can easily be made vegan.
Why you will love this recipe:
- This healthy cherry crisp has the most amazing flavour.
- It's so easy to make.
- Besides being gluten free this cherry crisp recipe is also dairy free, grain free, paleo and can be made vegan too.
- It's delicious enough to eat for dessert, but healthy enough to eat for breakfast.
- It's made with healthy ingredients like almond flour, fresh cherries and shredded coconut.
- This crisp is made without flour.
- It can be made with either fresh or frozen cherries.
- It's refined sugar free.
- This crisp is lower in calories and lower in fat compared to most other crisp recipes.
- If you love crips and crumbles you will also love this gluten free apple crisp.
Key ingredients and substitutions:
- Cherries - you can use either fresh or frozen cherries to make this cherry crisp recipe.
- Almond flour - almond flour is one of my favourite gluten free flours. It's high in protein compared to grain flours, is high in fiber and full of healthy fats. If you can't have almonds I would use cashew flour instead.
- Shredded coconut - finely shredded coconut is used in place of oats to make this cherry crisp. It also gives the cherry crumble such a nice texture and flavour while keeping it grain free.
- Honey or maple syrup - either of these natural sweeteners can be used to sweeten this crisp and keep it refined sugar free. If you are vegan be sure to use maple syrup.
How to make this recipe:
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
To make the filling, place all the filling ingredients in a bowl and mix well with a spoon.
Then transfer the filling ingredients to an 8" x 11" glass baking dish, and spread everything out evenly.
To make the topping, place all the topping ingredients in a large bowl and mix well with a pastry blender until well combined.
Place the crumble topping on top of the cherry mixture in the pan - you should have an even layer.
Bake the cherry crisp for 15-20 minutes, until the top is golden brown.
Let it cool for a few minutes, then cool and enjoy!
Tips and variations:
- Instead of almond flour you can use cashew flour to make this crumble.
- To make this a gluten free vegan cherry crumble be sure to use maple syrup instead of honey.
- You do not need to cover this crumble when it bakes.
How to serve:
This cherry crumble is delicious served as is but you could also serve it with vanilla ice cream, yogurt, whipped cream or coconut whipped cream. This crumble can be eaten as a snack, for dessert or for breakfast.
How to store:
Store any leftover crisp in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 7 days.
Frequently asked questions:
Yes. Just prepare the crisp as directed and cover it with foil or a lid and store it in the fridge until you are ready to bake. Then bake the dish as directed.
You can easily make cherry crisp without butter by using coconut oil instead.
A cherry crumble is a dessert made with fresh cherries with a streusel-like topping, that is typically prepared in a baking dish or casserole dish. A cherry crisp is similar to a crumble, and originally, the difference between the two was that cherry crisps would be made with oats and crumbles would not. However, as time has gone by, the names crumble and crisp are now used interchangeably.
No this is not a sour cherry crisp recipe.
Other recipes you will love:
- Cherry brownies
- Peach cobbler
- Gluten free blueberry raspberry cobbler
- Dairy free blueberry cheesecake
- Healthy blondies
Since you made it this far we are basically best friends so be sure to follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, TikTok and Facebook where I share even more recipes and healthy living tips! And don’t forget to leave this recipe a star review before you go!
Gluten Free Cherry Crisp
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- Place all the filling ingredients in a bowl and mix well with a spoon.
- Transfer ingredients to 8" x 11" glass baking dish, spreading evenly.
- Place all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well with a pastry blender until well combined.
- Place the topping on top of the cherry mixture in the pan - you should have an even layer.
- Cook the crisp for 15-20 minutes, until the top is golden brown.
- Remove from oven, let cool for a few minutes and enjoy!
- Nutritional values are an estimate and will vary depending on the exact ingredients used and your serving size.
- Store any leftover crisp in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 7 days.