The Beautycounter sunscreen is the best non-toxic mineral sunscreen! It goes on clear, is safe for your health and comes in a lotion, stick and a spray. Made with non-nano zinc oxide it’s also reef safe and free from fragrances, parabens and phthalates.
Wearing sunscreen is important if you are going to be in the sun for any prolonged period of time. We know that too much sun exposure can lead to sunburns, skin cancer as well as premature aging of the skin so it is important to keep yourself and your family protected. But every sunscreen is not created equal.
In my quest to find a great non-toxic over the counter mineral sunscreen I have tried many different brands. The problem is that many of them just didn’t work well for me (as in I burned so badly!) or they were so thick and pasty that I ended up looking and feeling like a ghost covered in cement. For me, finding a sunscreen that not only worked well but is safe for health was a MUST. Fortunately, a couple years ago I found Beautycounter’s sunscreen, and not only does it work really well, but it’s formulated with ingredients that are safe for our health and goes on nice and clear, without any white cast and smells really good. So I decided it was finally time for me to do a full review on the Beautycounter sunscreen options and share why I think it’s the best over the counter mineral sunscreen.
Beautycounter sunscreen review: Beautycounter sunscreen options
Beautycounter makes a few different SPF products depending on what you are looking for:
- Countersun Mineral Sunscreen Lotion – This is their SPF body lotion which is my personal favourite body sunscreen. This SPF 30 lotion blocks both UVA and UVB light and is also formulated with California Poppy to block blue light. It is water resistant for up to 40 minutes. It’s also safe for children 6 months and older. It goes on nice and clear, leaving no white cast, and blends really easily.
- Countersun Mineral Sunscreen Stick – My clients with kids love this product! It’s easy for them to use and is small enough to keep in your purse or diaper bag. Like the sunscreen lotion this also blocks UVA and UVB rays as well as blue light. It’s water resistant for up to 80 minutes and is also safe for children 6 months and older.
- Countersun Mineral Sunscreen Mist – Another favourite for those with kids. And don’t worry, this product is formulated without aerosol chemicals and uses air pressure technology to propel the liquid out of the container. Like the other sunscreen formulas it blocks UVA, UVB and blue light and is water resistant for up to 80 minutes.
- Countersun Daily Sheer Defense for Face – This is the best face sunscreen! It goes on nice and clear also has moisturizing properties to keep your skin nice and hydrated. It protects from UVA, UVB, and HEV blue light rays. It contains antioxidants such as vitamin E to help protect the skin from pollution plus chicory root extract and squalene to help lock in moisture and keep the skin hydrated.
- Dew Skin Tinted Moisturizer – This is one of my all time favourite Beautycounter products. It gives your skin the nicest dewy glow. I use it every single day, even in the winter. It provides an SPF 20, blocking UVA and UVB rays. The formula features a blend of black currant seed oil, peony root extract, and vitamin C to help brighten the skin and even skin tone. The Dew Skin has also been clinically proven to increase skin firmness and elasticity.
Beautycounter Sunscreen Ingredients
I will break down each Beautycounter sunscreen into their ingredients so you can see everything that they contain. Beautycounter discloses all the ingredients used in their products so you are never left guessing what’s in them.
Countersun Mineral Sunscreen Lotion SPF 30
- Active ingredient: Zinc oxide 19%
- Other ingredients: 1,2-Hexanediol, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Beeswax/Cire d’abeille, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Cetearyl Nonanoate, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Peel Oil, Citrus Limon (Lemon) Peel Oil, Citrus Reticulata (Tangerine) Fruit Extract, Citrus Reticulata (Tangerine) Peel Oil, Coco-Caprylate, Decylene Glycol, Eschscholzia Californica Leaf Cell Extract, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Glycerin, Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Isopropyl Myristate, Isopropyl Palmitate, Isostearic Acid, Lecithin, Magnesium Sulfate, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Oil, Mimosa Tenuiflora Bark Extract, Phenoxyethanol, Polyglyceryl-3 Polyricinoleate, Polyglyceryl-4 Diisostearate/Polyhydroxystearate/Sebacate, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Silica, Sodium Chloride, Water/Eau.
Countersun Mineral Sunscreen Stick SPF 30
- Active ingredient: Zinc oxide 15.4%
- Other ingredients: Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Beeswax/Cire d’abeille, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter*, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil, Cetearyl Nonanoate, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Peel Oil, Citrus Limon (Lemon) Peel Oil, Citrus Reticulata (Tangerine) Fruit Extract, Citrus Reticulata (Tangerine) Peel Oil, Coco-Caprylate, Coco-Caprylate/Caprate, Coconut Alkanes, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil*, Cucurbita Pepo (Pumpkin) Seed Oil*, Eschscholzia Californica Leaf Cell Extract, Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax/Cire de candelilla, Euterpe Oleracea Fruit Oil*, Glycerin, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Isostearic Acid, Lauryl Laurate, Lecithin, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Oil, Mica, Mimosa Tenuiflora Bark Extract, Polyglyceryl-3 Polyricinoleate, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Punica Granatum Seed Oil*, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Silica, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter*, Tocopherol.*Organic/Biologique
Countersun Daily Sheer Defense for Face SPF 25
- Active ingredient: Zinc oxide 14.96%
- Other ingredients:
Water, Coco-Caprylate, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Squalane, Glycerin, Pentylene Glycol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Coconut Alkanes, Arachidyl Alcohol, Coco-Glucoside, Phenoxyethanol, Behenyl Alcohol, Tocopherol, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Polyglyceryl-3 Polyricinoleate, Xanthan Gum, Arachidyl Glucoside, Phytic Acid, Isostearic Acid, Lecithin, Cichorium Intybus (Chicory) Root Extract, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil*, Coco-Caprylate/Caprate, Ethylhexylglycerin, Sodium Hyaluronate. *Organic
Countersun Mineral Sunscreen Mist SPF 30
- Active ingredient: 14.5% zinc oxide
- Other ingredients: Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice*, Bentonite, Bisabolol, Butyloctyl Salicylate, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract*, Caprylhydroxamic Acid, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Caprylyl Glycol, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil*, Cellulose Gum, Cetearyl Alcohol, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract*, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Peel Oil, Citrus Limon (Lemon) Peel Oil, Citrus Reticulata (Tangerine) Fruit Extract, Citrus Reticulata (Tangerine) Peel Oil, Coco-Glucoside, Eschscholzia Californica Leaf Cell Extract, Ethyl Macadamiate, Glycerin, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil*, Jojoba Esters, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Oil, Methyl Dihydroabietate, Microcrystalline Cellulose, Mimosa Tenuiflora Bark Extract, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Tocopherol, Water/Eau.*Organic/Biologique
Dew Skin Tinted Moisturizer:
- Active ingredient: 14% zinc oxide
- Other ingredients: Water, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Coco-Caprylate, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Isopropyl Palmitate, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Poyglyceryl-4 Diisostearate/Polyhydroxystearate/Sebacate, Octyldodecyl Oleate, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Isopropyl Myristate, Dimethicone, Magnesium Sulfate, Beeswax, Gluconolactone, Sodium Hyaluronate, Lecithin, Ribes Nigrum (Black Currant) Seed Oil, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Solidago Virgaurea (Goldenrod) Extract, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Polyglyceryl-3 Polyricinoleate, Isostearic Acid, Glycerin, Propanediol, Sodium Benzoate, Isoeicosane, Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Octyldodecanol, Octyldodecyl Stearoyl Stearate, Alcohol, Paeonia Suffruticosa Root Extract, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Citrus Aurantium Bergamia (Bergamot) Fruit Oil, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Peel Oil, Rosa Damascena Flower Oil, Salvia Sclarea (Clary) Oil, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Flower Oil, Vanilla Planifolia Fruit, Calcium Gluconate, Sodium Chloride, Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499).
Beautycounter Sunscreen Safety
Formulating products that are safe for health is a priority for Beautycounter. They will never use ingredients that are questionable when it comes to safety or toxicity. For their sunscreen they only use non-nano zinc oxide as the active ingredient for all of their sunscreen formulas. In case you didn’t know, the active ingredients in sunscreens come in two forms: mineral and chemical filters. The most common sunscreens on the market use chemical filters. Many of these sunscreens contain a combination of two to six of these chemical filters including chemicals like oxybenzone, avobenzone, octisalate, octocrylene, homosalate and octinoxate. Mineral sunscreens on the other hand use zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide.
The problem with the chemical filters is that they are bad for our health. You can learn more about this in my post, The Safest Sunscreens That Actually Work, but to summarize, these chemical filters can act as hormone disruptors, and they can also cause allergic skin reactions. As well, some of those ingredients in the chemical based sunscreens become more dangerous when they are exposed to UV radiation. They form free radicals when exposed to UV light, which can cause significant damage within the body and have even been linked to cancer.
Of the chemical filters, oxybenzone is likely the most dangerous. It can act like an estrogen in the body and has anti-androgenic effects. It has also been linked to birth defects and other pregnancy related problems. And for breast feeding women, oxybenzone and other chemical filters end up in breast milk. As well, oxybenzone is bad for the environment and contributes to the destruction of the coral reefs.
Mineral sunscreen barriers don’t penetrate the skin like chemical barriers do, meaning that they can’t impact your internal organs or hormones like chemical barriers can, and are therefore a healthier option. When it comes to mineral sunscreen filters I suggest using zinc oxide based sunscreens. You also want to be sure to choose brands that are using non-nano zinc oxide. Nano particles can be harmful to our health and are easily inhaled so you want to be sure to avoid them.
Additionally, Beautycounter tests every batch of their products for contaminants to ensure that no unwanted or harmful ingredients end up in their products. They also formulate their sunscreen without fragrances, parabens or phthalates which can also be hormone or endocrine disruptors.
Beautycounter Sunscreen Certifications
All of Beautycounter’s sunscreens are Leaping Bunny certified and cruelty free. Most of them are also EWG verified as well. They are also all gluten free.
How to use Beautycounter Sunscreens
One of the biggest issues with non-toxic sunscreens it that people don’t tend to use them properly. With any of the lotions, you want to shake them before using. The zinc oxide tends to settle at the bottom of the bottle, so to re-distribute it more evenly throughout the product simply give the bottle a shake before dispensing. If you are using the spray, simply spray it on and then rub it on your skin to distribute it evenly.
As well, you want to be sure to reapply the Beautycounter sunscreen regularly. If you are out in the sun you want to reapply your sunscreen every 90-120 minutes and anytime after you’ve been in the water or if you’ve been sweating in large amounts. The same applies to face lotions with SPF. Many people are fooled into thinking that their skill will be protected all day if they put their face lotion on in the morning. This just isn’t true. In order to be protected you would still need to re-apply that product throughout the day, the same as any other SPF product.
Other ways to help protect your skin from the sun
Besides using sunscreen, there are a few other things you can do to help protect your skin from sun damage including:
- Use a vitamin C serum: Vitamin C serums helps decrease sun damage from UVA and UVB rays and prevent sun damage by neutralizing free radicals, an effect which is not seen with sunscreens – under laboratory conditions, the application of 10% topical vitamin C shows reduction of UVB-induced redness by 52% and sunburn cell formation by 40-60%. You can learn more about my favourite vitamin C serum and see my before and after photos here.
- Increase your omega-3 intake: Omega 3 fatty acids are crucial for skin health. Omega 3 supplementation has been found to help treat acne, psoriasis, eczema and a number of other health conditions, and increased omega 3 intake makes you less likely to get a sunburn.
- Wear a hat: If possible wear one with a wide brim to help protect yourself as much as possible.
Frequently asked questions:
Yes! It’s formulated with non-nano zinc oxide, and is made without fragrances, parabens or phthalates. Every batch is also tested for contaminants to ensure it’s truly safe.
You can shop for it here, and be sure to choose me (Erin Carter from Calgary Canada) as your consultant when you checkout. And if this is your first Beautycounter order, use the code CLEANFORALL20 at checkout to get 20% off your order! If you are interested in trying anything else, please fill out my skincare survey and I will get back to you with my suggestions. If you do have any questions just email me at email@example.com and we can chat!
You might also like:
- The Beautycounter Deodorant – why it’s the best non-toxic deodorant!
- Beautycounter vitamin C serum review and results
- Is there mercury in your mascara?
- Beautycounter Overnight Resurfacing Peel Review
- Beautycounter Charcoal Mask Review
Pin this post for later: