This Spanish cauliflower rice with shrimp recipe is such an easy, delicious weeknight meal. Ready in under 30 minutes this Mexican inspired dish is naturally low in carbs and is paleo, Whole30 and keto compliant. It's also full of vegetables and packed with flavour.
Why you will love this recipe:
- This Mexican cauliflower rice has the most incredible flavour!
- It's really easy to make and is ready in less than 30 minutes.
- it's a healthy cauliflower rice recipe that makes a complete meal.
- It's low in carbs, gluten free, paleo, Whole30 and keto compliant.
- It makes great leftovers.
- You can make this recipe with either fresh or frozen cauliflower rice.
- It's very versatile! If you don't like shrimp feel free to leave it out or to substitute it with chicken, ground beef or beans.
- You can make it vegan by simply leaving out the shrimp or replacing them with beans or tofu.
If you love shrimp recipes you will also love pan seared shrimp!
Key ingredients and substitutions:
- Riced cauliflower – you can either use fresh or frozen cauliflower rice for making this recipe. You can also rice your own cauliflower or use store bought, pre-made riced cauliflower.
- Diced tomatoes – It wouldn’t be Spanish rice without the tomatoes! I use canned, diced tomatoes to add delicious flavour while keeping this recipe really easy to make.
- Tomato paste – to help thicken the sauce on this Mexican rice recipe and add more delicious flavour.
- Onion – onion is a healthy vegetable that adds more flavour and texture to this Whole30 cauliflower rice recipe.
- Cumin – cumin is a delicious spice that adds that Mexican inspired flavour.
- Shrimp – shrimp is a healthy protein that turns this Spanish rice into a complete meal. You could easily swap the shrimp for cooked chicken, ground beef or beans.
How to make this recipe:
First, place a large pan on the stove on medium heat and add the coconut oil. Once the oil is melted add the chopped onion and cook for 3-5 minutes, until the onion is translucent.
Next, add the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, and spices to the pan and let cook for another 3-5 minutes.
Now add the cauliflower rice and stir everything well to combine. Cook for an additional 7-10 minutes, until the cauliflower rice has the consistency that you like. While the cauliflower rice is cooking, cook the shrimp (see the next step).
While the rice is simmering you can cook the shrimp by placing a small pan on the stove on low heat and adding all the ingredients. Cook the shrimp for a 3-5 minutes, until warmed throughout.
Transfer the warmed shrimp to the pan with the rice and stir to combine. Remove everything from the heat and serve and enjoy!
Tips and variations:
- If you are vegan or vegetarian, omit the shrimp from this recipe or use cooked tofu or beans instead.
- Instead of shrimp you could add cooked chicken, ground beef, or pork instead.
- Feel free to add other vegetables such as chopped peppers or celery.
- Top this dish with cilantro, chopped green onion or avocado.
How to store:
Store any leftovers in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Frequently asked questions:
Yes! You can use either fresh or frozen cauliflower rice to make this dish. You will just have to sauté the frozen cauliflower rice a little longer to remove the excess liquid.
This Spanish cauliflower rice recipe has 11 grams of net carbs per serving, so as long as you watch your carb count with your other meals this would be a keto cauliflower rice recipe.
The key to making cauliflower rice that is not soggy is to not add too many liquids, and to not over cook it. It only takes a few minutes to cook cauliflower rice so be sure to watch it closely so that it doesn’t get mushy or soggy.
To make cauliflower rice less bitter, add spices such as cumin, salt and pepper as well as other vegetables such as onion or garlic You can also add other ingredients such as tomatoes or tomato sauce to make it sweeter tasting.
Other recipes you will love:
- Blackened Cod
- Spinach and Artichoke Dip
- Whole30 Teriyaki Chicken and Broccoli
- Beef Curry Stew
- Healthy Sloppy Joes
- Whole30 Potato Salad
Since you made it this far we are basically best friends so be sure to follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, TikTok and Facebook where I share even more recipes and healthy living tips! And don’t forget to leave this recipe a star review before you go!
Spanish Cauliflower Rice with Shrimp
Spanish Cauliflower Rice Ingredients
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil or avocado oil
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 680 grams riced cauliflower (equivalent to ~ 3.5 cups)
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil or avocado oil
- juice from one fresh lime
- 300 grams cooked and peeled wild shrimp (I used frozen and thawed it before hand)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Place a large pan on the stove on medium heat and add the oil. Once the oil is melted add the chopped onion and cook for 3-5 minutes, until the onion is translucent.
- Add the diced tomatoes, tomato paste and spices to the pan and let cook for another 3-5 minutes.
- Add the cauliflower rice and stir well to combine. Cook for an additional 7-10 minutes, until it has the consistency that you desire.
- While the rice is simmering you can cook the shrimp by placing a small pan on the stove on low heat and adding all the ingredients. Cook the shrimp for a 3-5 minutes, until warmed throughout.
- Transfer the shrimp to the pan with the rice and stir to combine. Remove everything from the heat and serve and enjoy!
- This cauliflower rice makes great leftovers and keeps well in the fridge for 3 days.
- You can top this rice with cilantro, avocado or chopped green onion.
- To make this dish vegan leave the shrimp out.
- You can use either fresh or frozen riced cauliflower to make this recipe.
- Nutritional values are an estimate and will vary depending on the exact ingredients used.
Even Dad liked this one :p