This vegan peppermint bark is such a delicious holiday treat! With both dark and white chocolate layers this peppermint bark is topped with crushed candy canes to give it the best minty flavour. Naturally gluten free, dairy free and paleo! You will also love how easy it is to make!
Vegan Peppermint Bark
Why this is the best vegan peppermint bark:
- It’s such a delicious holiday treat, and even though it’s made from scratch you are going to love how easy it is to make!
- Dark chocolate and white chocolate layers are topped with crushed candy canes to give this bark the best mint chocolate flavour.
- It makes a great gift or dessert to bring to holiday events and will keep well in the fridge for weeks.
- It’s a great make-ahead dessert for holiday gatherings and events.
- This peppermint bark is naturally gluten free and dairy free and I’ve included directions to make it paleo too!
Vegan peppermint bark ingredients:
- Mint chocolate bars – This helps give this dessert such a delicious minty chocolate flavour! Plus by using mint chocolate bars it saves you from having to make the mint chocolate yourself! Just be sure to choose a brand that is vegan (my favourites are Zazu bean and Hu chocolate)
- Coconut butter or manna – This is what you will use to make the white chocolate layer. But don’t worry, it won’t taste like coconut once you mix in the other ingredients! Note that coconut butter and coconut manna are the same thing.
- Coconut oil – This is crucial to help the white chocolate layer harden.
- Peppermint extract – You will use this to give the white chocolate layer a hint of mint flavour.
- Maple syrup – One of my favourite vegan sweeteners! This will give the white chocolate layer a bit of sweetness to make this peppermint bark taste even better!
- Candy canes – The final addition to this bark are crushed candy canes. They add even more mint flavour plus a little crunch and texture! Just be sure to choose a brand that is vegan. My favourite is Yum Earth.
How to make vegan peppermint bark:
The full recipe and instructions are below in the recipe card, but here you’ll find a story filled with all the steps for making this recipe perfectly!
Tips for making this peppermint bark:
- Be sure to store this bark in the fridge or else the white chocolate layer will get soft if left out.
- If you can’t find vegan peppermint chocolate bars, instead use 4 vegan chocolate bars and add 2 tsp peppermint extract to the chocolate once it’s melted.
- To make this recipe paleo: use chocolate bars that are dairy free, soy free and sweetened with coconut sugar rather than cane sugar. My favourite brand is Hu chocolate. I have also never found any candy canes that are paleo compliant, so simply leave those out.
Frequently asked questions:
Of course all peppermint bark recipes are different, but this recipe stays good in the fridge for weeks! That’s why it’s the perfect make-ahead dessert!
I have never had this issue with this particular recipe but I have heard others say that if you let the dark chocolate layer get too cold before adding the white chocolate layer that this can happen, so be sure not to refrigerate it for more than 15 minutes.
This recipe for peppermint bark does need to be refrigerated yes. Otherwise the white chocolate layer will get a bit soft if kept outside of the fridge (this is because of the coconut butter and maple syrup).
Not all brands are no, so make sure you read the labels carefully.
Other desserts you will love:
- Gluten Free Peppermint Brownies
- Vegan Christmas Crack
- Vegan Apple Pie Bars
- Vegan Berry Cobbler
- Vegan Eggnog
SINCE YOU MADE IT THIS FAR WE ARE BASICALLY BEST FRIENDS SO BE SURE TO FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST AND FACEBOOK WHERE I SHARE EVEN MORE RECIPES AND HEALTHY LIVING TIPS! AND DON’T FORGET TO LEAVE THIS RECIPE A STAR REVIEW BEFORE YOU GO!
Vegan Peppermint Bark
This vegan peppermint bark is the perfect holiday treat! With the perfect mint chocolate flavour you will love how easy it is to make. It's also gluten free, dairy free and paleo!
Dark Chocolate Layer
- 12 oz peppermint chocolate bars (4 bars)
White Chocolate Layer
Optional Topping (omit for paleo)
- 4-6 candy canes, crushed
Melt the chocolate bars by putting them in a microwave safe dish and heating on high in 30 second intervals until melted
Line a 9" x 13" pan with parchment paper and pour the melted chocolate bars onto the parchment paper. Spread the chocolate into a thin, even layer.
Place the baking sheet in the fridge for 10-15 minutes to allow the chocolate to harden. While it is in the fridge, crush the candy canes (if using) and make the white chocolate layer
To make the white chocolate layer, place a small pot on the stove on low heat and add the ingredients for the white chocolate layer, stirring until the ingredients are melted together
Pour the melted white chocolate layer over the chocolate layer and sprinkle with the crushed candy canes (if using). Place the pan back in the fridge for 1-2 hours, until hard. Break the bark into desired sized pieces and enjoy!
- Be sure to store this bark in the fridge, or else the white chocolate layer will get soft
- If you are paleo, use paleo compliant chocolate bars and to omit the candy canes
- If you can’t find vegan peppermint chocolate bars, instead use regular vegan chocolate bars and add 2 tsp peppermint extract to the melted chocolate
Pin this recipe for later: