These toasted lemon coconut macaroons are such a delicious treat! With the most incredible lemon flavour this recipe is made with simple ingredients like almond flour, shredded coconut, lemon, and honey. They are really easy to make and are the perfect healthy snack or dessert.
Why you will love this recipe:
- These homemade lemon coconut macaroons have the most incredible flavour. They have the perfect lemon flavour with just hints of coconut.
- Even though they are made from scratch they are quick and easy to make.
- They are made in one bowl so the clean up is so simple.
- They take less than 15 minutes to cook!
- They make the perfect healthy dessert or snack.
- You can use these as energy bites or energy balls too!
- They are naturally gluten free, dairy free, refined sugar free, egg free and paleo.
- This macaroon recipe can easily be made vegan.
- These lemon energy bites freeze really well so are great for meal prep.
Taste and texture:
These macaroons have the best lemon flavour. They are sweet, but not too sweet and are lightly toasted to give them the best texture. The outside is nicely toasted, while the inside is melt in your mouth tender.
Key ingredients and substitutions:
- Finely shredded coconut - they key to any macaroon is shredded coconut. But don't worry, the coconut flavour is not strong if you aren't a coconut fan. You want to be sure to use finely shredded coconut rather than coconut flakes.
- Almond flour - to help give this macaroon recipe the perfect texture plus some healthy fats and protein. Be sure to use almond flour and not almond meal.
- Honey - one of my favourite natural sweeteners. Honey gives this dessert the perfect amount of sweetness while keeping this recipe refined sugar free. If you are vegan use maple syrup instead.
- Lemon juice and lemon zest - to give these macaroons the most incredible and refreshing lemon flavour!
- Vanilla extract - to amplify the flavours even more. You could swap this for lemon extract if you want an even stronger lemon flavour.
How to make this recipe:
First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Next, in a large bowl mix together the shredded coconut, almond flour, sea salt, lemon zest, coconut oil, honey and vanilla with a pastry blender or fork.
Now add the fresh lemon juice and mix everything together with the pastry blender. The mixture should be moist, but not wet.
Then form the mixed ingredients into approximately 1 inch balls with your hands and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Bake the macaroons for 12-14 minutes, until just toasted. Then let them cool completely before enjoying.
- When making these macaroons, if you find the dough sticking to your hands, wet them before assembling the dough balls.
- Line your baking sheet with parchment paper so these macaroons don't stick to it.
- Melt the coconut oil before adding it to the rest of the ingredients.
- Store these macaroons in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 7 days.
- These macaroons freeze really well.
Variations and add ins:
- To make this recipe vegan: use maple syrup instead of honey.
- Instead of almond flour you can use cashew flour.
How to store:
Store these macaroons in an airtight container at room temperature for ups to 3 days and in the fridge for up to 7 days. I actually love how they taste when they are cold from the fridge. These macaroons also freeze really well and can be frozen for ups to 3 months.
Frequently asked questions:
Both desserts are classically made with egg whites, sugar, vanilla and salt, however, macarons are typically made with finely ground blanched almonds (also known as almond flour), while macaroons are made with flaked coconut. Macarons look like little cookie sandwiches, while macaroons are round in shape.
Absolutely! Simply swap the honey for maple syrup.
I recommend using cashew flour instead.
Other desserts you will love:
- Gluten free cranberry lemon bars
- Lemon vanilla cheesecake
- Lemon cheesecake bars
- Double chocolate avocado brownies
- The Best Vegan Blondies
- Peppermint Brownies
Since you made it this far we are basically best friends so be sure to follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, TikTok and Facebook where I share even more recipes and healthy living tips! And don’t forget to leave this recipe a star review before you go!
Toasted Lemon Coconut Macaroons
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl mix together the shredded coconut, almond flour, sea salt, lemon zest, coconut oil, honey and vanilla with a pastry blender.
- Once the above ingredients are combined add the fresh lemon juice and mix together with the pastry blender. The mixture should be moist, but not wet.
- Form the mixed ingredients into approximately 1 inch balls with the palm of your hands and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake in oven for 12-14 minutes or until tops start to turn golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let macaroons cool. Then enjoy!
- If you are having a hard time getting these to stick together, wet your hands and then try forming the macaroons.
- These also taste really good after they have been refrigerated.
- Nutritional values are an estimate, and will vary depending on the exact ingredients you use.