This chocolate almond flour mug cake is the best single serving dessert! It's so rich and fudgy and ready to enjoy in less than 5 minutes. Made with almond flour, maple syrup and chocolate chips this mug cake recipe is gluten free, dairy free and paleo.
Why you will love this recipe:
- The flavour! This is the best chocolate mug cake - it's rich and fudgy and loaded with chocolate. It reminds me of a chocolate molten lava cake.
- It's so simple and easy to make and is ready in less than 5 minutes.
- This homemade mug cake is made from scratch using healthy ingredients like almond flour, cacao powder, maple syrup and coconut milk.
- This double chocolate mug cake is made with no baking powder, no butter, no milk, no powdered sugar, no oil, no baking powder, and no refined sugar.
- This mug cake with almond flour is gluten free, dairy free paleo, refined sugar free and healthy compared to many other mug cake recipes.
- Because it's made with almond flour this chocolate dessert is high in protein with 13 grams of protein per serving.
- This mug cake is cooked in a microwave so you don't need to heat up your house by turning on the oven.
- Looking for an even easier mug cake? Try my three ingredient chocolate mug cake!
Taste and texture:
This mug cake is so rich and chocolatey. The inside is nice and fudgy and it also has the perfect cake like texture. This double chocolate mug cake is not dry and is not spongy. The taste reminds me of a dark chocolate molten lava cake. Yes it's that delicious!
Key ingredients and substitutions:
- Almond flour - almond flour is a great alternative to traditional flours that is gluten free and grain free and it's higher in protein than wheat flour. Almond flour is full of healthy fats too. Be sure to use almond flour and not almond meal to make this mug cake as almond meal is too gritty. You can usually find almond flour in the gluten free section of most grocery stores or you can buy it online.
- Cacao powder - cacao powder is used to turn this into a chocolate mug cake. You can use either cacao powder or cocoa powder to make this dark chocolate mug cake.
- Maple syrup - maple syrup is used to perfectly sweeten this mug cake while keeping it refined sugar free.
- Coconut milk - coconut milk is used to add moisture to this cake to prevent it from being dry. I recommend using full fat coconut milk rather than low fat coconut milk to make this double chocolate cake. You can also swap the coconut milk for another dairy free milk such as cashew milk or almond milk.
- Chocolate chips - dark chocolate chips are added to turn this into a double chocolate mug cake. I recommend using chocolate chips sweetened with coconut sugar to keep this mug cake refined sugar free.
How to make:
In a large mug, whisk together the egg, maple syrup, coconut milk and vanilla extract until the ingredients are smooth.
Next, stir in the almond flour and cacao powder until the clumps are gone and you have a smooth batter.
Now stir in one tablespoon of the chocolate chips and then cover the mug and heat it on high in the microwave for 70-90 seconds.
Remove the mug from the microwave and sprinkle the extra chocolate chips on top and to let them melt. Let the cake cool for a few minutes, then enjoy!
- Be sure to use a tall, thick mug for making this mug cake in the microwave.
- Don't overcook this cake. I recommend checking it at 70 seconds and if it is undercooked then cooking it for a little longer. Mine was perfect at 75 seconds.
- Cooking times will vary depending on the strength of your microwave.
- Make sure you get all the clumps out of the batter when you stir it.
- Let this mug cake cool for a few minutes after it finishes cooking to help give it that perfect cake-like texture. If you eat it too soon it will be more spongy rather than cakey.
- To keep this dessert refined sugar free be sure to use chocolate chips sweetened with coconut sugar.
- For even more texture add some chopped nuts such as pecans or walnuts to the recipe.
- You can use either cacao powder or cocoa powder to make this double chocolate mug cake.
- Instead of coconut milk you can use other types of milk to make this microwave mug cake - some other great options include almond milk or cashew milk.
How to serve:
This mug cake is delicious served as is, but to make it even more decadent you could top it with vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, coconut whipped cream, chocolate sauce, chopped nuts, more chocolate chips or vanilla yogurt.
How to store:
This mug cake is best served right away but you can cover it and store it in the fridge overnight. You can also prepare the batter the night ahead and keep the mug in the fridge, and then cook it when you are ready to serve.
I don't recommend trying to freeze mug cake. It tends to get too mushy when it thaws if you do.
This mug cake has approximately 587 calories per serving with 72 grams of total carbohydrates, 6 grams of fiber, 66 grams of net carbs, 13 grams of protein and 31 grams of fat. This dessert recipe is gluten free, dairy free, paleo, and refined sugar free. It is not keto, low carb, low sugar or vegan.
Frequently asked questions:
No, this mug cake recipe is not keto or low carb.
No, this is not a chocolate vegan mug cake because it contains an egg.
Definitely not! Almond flour and coconut flour are not interchangeable. Coconut flour requires a lot more liquids than almond flour does so if you use coconut flour the cake will turn out very dry and crumbly.
Mug cakes can turn out mushy if you don't cook them long enough, or if you use too many liquid ingredients. When you first take a mug cake out of the microwave it will have a more wet texture, but when you let it cool for a few minutes it will turn more cake like.
I have not tried baking this cake in the oven so I am not sure how it would turn out. If you do try it please let me know.
Other recipes you will love:
- Vanilla protein mug cake
- Coffee cookies
- Chocolate coffee banana bread
- Chocolate almond butter bars
- Dairy free brownies with caramel
- Almond flour biscuits
Since you made it this far we are basically best friends so be sure to follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, TikTok and Facebook where I share even more recipes and healthy living tips! And don’t forget to leave this recipe a star review before you go!
Chocolate Almond Flour Mug Cake
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoon coconut milk (or other milk of choice)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoon almond flour
- 2 tablespoon cacao powder (or cocoa powder)
- 2 tablespoon chocolate chips
- In a large mug, whisk together the egg, maple syrup, coconut milk and vanilla extract.
- Stir in the almond flour and cacao powder until the clumps are gone.
- Stir in one tablespoon of the chocolate chips.
- Cover the mug and heat it on high for 70-90 seconds.
- Remove the mug from the microwave and sprinkle the extra chocolate chips on top and let them melt. Then enjoy!
- Instead of cacao powder you can use cocoa powder to make this mug cake.
- You can use any type of milk you like to make this recipe - some other great options include cashew milk or almond milk.
- Cooking times will vary depending on the type of microwave that you have.
- Let this cake cool for a few minutes after it's done cooking before you eat it to give it the best texture.
Leave a Reply