Whole30 Slow Cooker Beef Short Ribs are such a delicious and tender rib recipe. They are easy to make and are also paleo, GAPS, SCD and low carb or keto. Use your Crockpot to make these short ribs for busy weeknight or weekend meals.
Note: This recipe was initially posted in January 2018. The post was updated in June 2019.
When I think of comfort foods, one of the first things that comes to mind is ribs. I have always loved ribs. I remember growing up I would often request ribs for my birthday dinner. That's how much I love them! But once I got into residency and life got busy I started making ribs less and less often. They were just too much work. However, a few years ago I realized that making ribs doesn't have to be difficult. The solution? The slow cooker! Ribs turn out so, so well when you make them in the slow cooker.
Why these Whole30 Slow Cooker Beef Short Ribs are so good:
- They are fall off the bone tender and have such a delicious flavour
- They are also gluten free, paleo, SCD, GAPS, and low carb and keto!
- They don't require any fancy or hard to find ingredients to make
- They are made with grass fed beef so they are really healthy
How to make these Whole30 Slow Cooker Beef Short Ribs:
You are going to love how easy these paleo slow cooker beef short ribs are to make.
First, you are going to place all of the ingredients (except for the ribs) into your blender. Blend the ingredients until they are smooth.
Next place the blended ingredients into your slow cooker and then add the beef short ribs to the slow cooker and top them with the sauce.
Turn your slow cooker onto low heat and cook the ribs for 8 hours.
That's it! Simply turn the slow cooker off and serve the paleo slow cooker beef short ribs.
These Whole30 Slow Cooker Beef Short Ribs pair very well with cooked broccoli, cauliflower rice or even spaghetti squash. Really they would go well with almost any vegetable as a side dish. I would love to hear what you end up paring them with!
Why do I recommend grass fed beef to make these Whole30 Slow Cooker Beef Short Ribs?
There are a couple reasons why I recommend using grass fed beef rather than factory farmed beef. First, grass fed beef is so much tastier than grain fed beef. But even more important are the health benefits of grass fed beef.
Grass fed beef is an excellent source of fat soluble vitamins and it has an omega 3 to 6 ratio that is almost 1:1, unlike grain fed beef which has very high omega 6 levels, and is hence a very inflammatory (and unhealthy) food.
As well, from an ethical standpoint, pasture raised (or grass fed) cows are treated so much better than factory farmed animals. Cows were meant to be on pastures, not in small pens, forced to eat "food" their systems were never designed to digest. If you're interested in learning more about this topic I highly recommend reading my post The Biggest Mistake You Can Make On The Paleo Diet.
Other Whole30 and Paleo recipes you will love:
- Bacon and Vegetable Egg Casserole
- Paleo Slow Cooker Maple Cranberry Beef Roast
- Slow Cooker Pineapple Pork Ribs
- Whole30 Cauliflower Alfredo Sauc
If you make this recipe be sure to give it a star rating below! And be sure to follow me on Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook too!
Whole30 Slow Cooker Beef Short Ribs (Paleo, GAPS, SCD)
- 6 lbs grass-fed beef short ribs
- 6 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoon raw, local honey (substitute 1 fresh peach, chopped, for Whole30)
- 2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon Herbes de Prevence Spice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 10 fresh basil leaves
- Place all the ingredients (except the ribs) into your food processor or Vitamix and blend well until smooth
- Transfer the sauce to your slow cooker
- Add the ribs and stir to coat with the sauce
- Turn the slow cooker onto low heat and cook for 8 hours
- Serve and enjoy!
Leave a Reply