These are the best healthy apple bars! You will love the apple crumble topping and you would never guess that these dessert bars are gluten free or dairy free. Made with almond flour, pecans and honey this is the perfect all dessert that would also be great to serve at Thanksgiving or Christmas.
I have been trying to incorporate this food into as many things as possible lately. Did you know it is considered a superfood? It has so many health benefits, which you can read about in my post here. In this recipe it helps give the apple layer a less runny consistency, and acts as a binder. It’s such a versatile ingredient. I use it in so many things!
Ok enough talking. More eating. I hope you like this one! Let me know what you think.
Until next time, happy eating everyone!
Healthy Apple Bars
- Peel the apples and cut them into pieces approximately 1.5cm x 1.5cm in size.
- Fill a sauce pan with a thin layer (~1cm) of water and place on medium heat on the stove.
- Transfer the apple pieces to the pan and cook for ~20 mins or until the apples are soft.
- Preheat your oven to 350 F.
- While your apples are cooking start the crust by adding the crust ingredients to your standing mixer (except for the additional 1/2 cup almond flour and orange zest) and blend on low until smooth.
- Take approximately 2/3 of your crust mixture and press into the bottom of an 8×8 pan so that you have a layer about 1cm thick.
- Place the pan in oven and bake for 10 minutes or until crust edge turns golden brown.
- Once the apples are soft enough remove them from the pot, using a slotted spoon (try and limit the amount of liquid that you get) and place them in a large bowl
- Add the ground cinnamon, vanilla, honey, and lemon juice to the apples and blend with a pastry blender so that apples become even more soft and tender.
- Once the bottom crust is done, remove from oven and cover with your apple layer.
- Add the 1/2 cup almond flour and orange zest to the remaining crust ingredients and blend well with a spoon or pastry blender. You should get a more crumbly texture at this point (add a bit more almond flour if you need to).
- Top the apples with your remaining crust ingredients
- Place in oven for another 15-20 minutes or until the top layer becomes a golden brown
- Let the bars cool, then cut them into pieces and enjoy!
- I recommend storing these bars in the fridge so the apple layer doesn’t get too runny.