This post reviews the best non-toxic face masks that can be used at home to help reveal beautiful, healthy skin. Here you will find at home skincare masks that are great for all skin types and that are made with natural, clean, safe, and organic ingredients.
At home skincare masks are one of the easiest ways to help keep your skin healthy and glowing. Masks are formulated with nourishing and concentrated ingredients that can help improve skin's texture, hydration, appearance, balance and integrity. Using face masks can help decrease the signs of aging, even out skin tone, decrease acne, decrease fine lines and wrinkles and brighten the skin. However, not all skincare masks are created equally.
When it comes to the personal care industry, it is currently under-regulated in many countries including the US and Canada. That means that ingredients that can be harmful to your health including carcinogens, endocrine disruptors, allergens etc. can end up in your skincare products, including face masks. Because of this, you want to be sure to choose face masks that are formulated with safe, clean, non toxic ingredients and ingredients that are good for your health.
Fortunately, in recent years more and more skincare brands have been focusing on clean beauty or safe beauty so it is getting easier and easier to find skincare products, including face masks that are not only really effective for your skin, but are also safe for your health.
In this post I will review the 22 best non toxic face masks that you can use to help keep your skin healthy and glowing. Here you will find face masks for all different skin types including brands which use natural, clean, vegan, organic and cruelty free ingredients.
The Best Non-Toxic Face Masks
Beautycounter Counter+ Charcoal Facial Mask
If you have followed me for a while you know just how much I love the Beautycounter charcoal mask. It is one of my can't live without products. It has helped my skin so much! I use it once a week as a full face mask and nightly as a spot treatment on any acne lesions or areas of congestion.
This nutrient-rich kaolin clay mask is vegan and contains activated charcoal which helps balance and purify the skin. Plus the salicylic acid and lactic acid in this mask aid in a gentle exfoliation, leaving your skin with a smooth, polished look with a minimized appearance of pores.
Beautycounter only formulates their products with safe ingredients, and they also test their products for contaminants to ensure that no unwanted harmful ingredients end up in the final product by mistake (this can happen quite easily during the manufacturing process). Most other skincare brands do not take this extra step to ensure their product safety.
And if you are new to Beautycounter, they have been kind enough to give me a 20% off code for my readers! Simply shop through this link and use the code CLEANFORALL20 at checkout to get 20% off your order.
Tata Harper Resurfacing Mask
Tata Harper is one of the best known brands in the clean beauty space and the Tata Harper Resurfacing Mask is a cult favourite. This face mask is cruelty free and vegan and helps banishes dullness and refines the look of pores to reveal healthy-looking skin. The Tata Harper resurfacing mask is made with natural BHA from white willow bark extract, pomegranate enzymes and pink clay. Together these ingredients help absorb excess oil, remove impurities from your pores, remove dead skin and minimize the look of pores.
Primally Pure Plumping Mask
The Primally Pure Plumping Mask is another one of my favourite face masks. It is made with all natural ingredients including honey, hibiscus and bakuchiol and the enzymes, vitamins and humectants found in these ingredients help exfoliate, stimulate cell turnover and significantly improve skin texture and tone for a more firm, youthful appearance. This natural face mask can help increase skin elasticity and firmness, brighten the skin, help with discolouration from sun damage, decrease the appearance of fine lines and maintain skin’s natural moisture levels.
If you are interested you can get 10% off Primally Pure products by clicking this link and entering the code "pureandsimple" at checkout.
Indie Lee Clearing Mask
If you have acne prone skin the Indie Lee Clearing Mask is for you! It's made with bentonite clay and colloidal sulfur to help draw out impurities from the skin and help gently exfoliate the skin while chamomile and red seaweed extracts help condition the skin. This face mask is formulated without synthetic fragrances, parabens, mineral oil, petroleum-based Ingredients, phthalates, formaldehyde and GMO Ingredients.
Evolve Organic Beauty Bio-Retinol Gold Mask
The Evolve Organic Beauty Bio-Retinol Gold Mask has amazing benefits for skin. This face mask is formulated with a sustainable bio-retinol analogue from the plant bidens pilosa, which helps to smooth skin, stimulate collagen production, promote cellular renewal and reduce the appearance of wrinkles. Plus, organic rosehip oil, which is rich in fatty acids and omegas 6 and 3, helps to keep the skin nourished and hydrated, and argan oil, which is high in vitamin E, works to give skin a youthful glow. This Evolve Organic Beauty face mask has a beautiful gold color and is great for all skin types.
Alpyn Beauty Wild Huckleberry 8-Acid Polishing Peel
The Alpyn Beauty Wild Huckleberry 8-Acid Polishing Peel is a double-exfoliating peel powered by eight natural acids, bamboo powder, and wild plants to smooth the look of skin, refine pores, and brighten the skin. This mask is great for all skin types including dry, mature, sensitive, blemish-prone, combination and normal. Alpyn Beauty is the first and only skincare brand to sustainably harvest wild plants from the mountains of Jackson Hole, Wyoming, and infuse them into their formulas to actively address dry skin. The company is committed to sustainability through partnerships like 1% For the Plant, where a portion of every purchase goes directly to forest restoration efforts.
Pai Dinner Out Mask
The Pai Dinner Out Mask is another face mask that is great for acne prone or oily skin. This non drying clay formula mask helps draws out impurities and restores balance to the skin. The key ingredients, copaiba and kaolin are meant to decongest, balance, and brighten, leaving your skin refreshed and smoother feeling. Pai products contain organic ingredients and are made from sustainable plant ingredients and packaged in environmentally friendly packaging.
Cocokind Resurfacing Sleep Mask
The Cocokind Resurfacing Sleep Mask is a great retinol alternative that is made with jojoba oil, Bakuchiol and squalene. This face mask is meant to be worn overnight to help improve skin tone and texture, while helping to reduce the appearance of dark spots and premature fine lines and wrinkles. This natural face mask also helps to calm the skin, provide lightweight hydration, and replenish the skin barrier. Cocokind skin care products are earth-friendly and made with sustainable packaging. They are also one of the more affordable safe skincare brands.
Beautycounter Counter+ Lotus Glow Cleansing Balm
The Beautycounter Counter+ Lotus Glow Cleansing Balm is one of my favourite multi-use products. It can not only be used as a deeply hydrating face mask but it's also great to use as a face wash and makeup remover. With a blend of lotus extract, jojoba seed oil, and avocado seed oil, the Lotus Glow Cleansing Balm soothes and calms skin while increasing brightness and hydration. This nourishing balm is vegan and sustainable and comes in a glass jar which is recyclable or reusable.
And if you are new to Beautycounter, they have been kind enough to give me a 20% off code for my readers! Simply shop through this link and use the code CLEANFORALL20 at checkout.
Kypris Deep Forest Clay Mask
The KYPRIS Deep Forest Clay Detoxifying Mask is a luxurious natural face mask that helps detoxify, brighten, soften, smooth, and exfoliate the skin. This face mask is made with natural ingredients including cleansing clay, mineral-rich oceanic salt, soothing algae, botanical exfoliants, and extracts from trees, roots, leaves, fruits, and flowers. This KYPRIS face mask is vegan, cruelty free and gluten free and comes in a sustainable recyclable glass jar.
True Botanicals Moisture Lock Overnight Mask
The True Botanicals Moisture Lock Overnight Mask is a rich yet lightweight, nourishing overnight face mask. This mask is great for those with dry, and dull skin. Some of the key ingredients in this mask include plant-based hyaluronic acid, mango butter, squalane and aloe vera. These ingredients help to moisturize the skin, soothe and calm uneven skin tone, and soften and plump the skin to help reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
Juice Beauty Green Apple Peel Full Strength Exfoliating Mask
The Juice Beauty Green Apple Peel Full Strength Exfoliating Mask is an affordable, bestselling, potent alpha and beta hydroxy acid mask that delivers spa-grade exfoliation, while reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, as well as dark spots and discoloration, for optimum age-defying results. This exfoliating mask is meant for most skin types, except for those with sensitive skin. This masks formulated with organic ingredients, is cruelty free, Leaping Bunny Certified and FSC certified with sustainable packaging.
Mara Volcanic Sea Clay Detox Masque
The Mara Volcanic Sea Clay Detox Masque is made with four natural cleansing clays including mediterranean sea clay, two purifying kaolin clays and bentonite. This face mask gently clarifies, exfoliates, removes impurities and unclogs pores without drying the skin. The volcanic ash in this mask is packed with active enzymes to help decrease blemishes, absorb excess oil and tighten the skin, plus an algae blend delivers essential nutrients to help refresh and revitalize the skin.
This Mara detox face mask is gluten-free, cruelty-free, synthetic-free, alcohol-free, and contains no fragrance, no parabens, no phthalates, no PEGs, and is Leaping Bunny Certified, hypoallergenic, clinically tested and dermatologist approved.
Tata Harper Superkind Radiance Mask
Another amazing face mask from Tata Harper is their Radiance Mask which is a gentle, fragrance-free mask with mild AHAs and microbiome-balancing prebiotics that exfoliates and revives dull, dry skin and supports a healthy skin barrier. It is especially great for dry skin, reactive skin because it uses a powerful, yet super gentle formula which is meticulously formulated to fortify and revitalize stressed skin.
The Tata Harper Radiance Face Mask is also vegan, gluten-free, cruelty-free, hypoallergenic, fragrance-free and comes in recyclable packaging.
Goldfaden M.D. Facial Detox Pore Clarifying Mask
The Goldfaden M.D. Facial Detox Pore Clarifying Mask is a cleansing face mask that is meant for those with combination, oily and blemish prone skin. It is made with natural ingredients including zinc oxide, sulfur and camphor to deep clean congested skin and improve the look of overall complexion, while still soothing the skin. This pore clarifying mask can also help minimize the appearance of pores, soothe the skin, and improve the appearance of uneven skin tone.
Osea Red Algae Mask
The Osea Red Algae Mask is a detoxifying mask that's specifically formulated for congested skin. This seaweed-infused mask tingles while you use it and natural bentonite clay helps to draw out impurities and remove excess oil. This Red Algae Mask also contains glycerin which gently moisturizes, smooths and hydrates.
Marie Veronique Probiotic + Exfoliation Mask
The Marie Veronique Probiotic + Exfoliation Mask is a brightening and exfoliating mask that is meant for all skin types, including skin prone to hyperpigmentation. This face mask is formulated with 5% lactic acid which acts as a gentle exfoliator, provides intense hydration, and helps brighten the skin, all without compromising microbial balance. This non-toxic mask helps restore skin's natural microfloral balance and leaves skin smooth, supple and glowing. The Marie Veronique Probiotic + Exfoliation Mask is formulated with enzymes to help brighten the skin, shea butter and coconut flour to help improve emolliency and does not contain glycolic acid, thus safer for those with sensitive skin and skin susceptible to hyperpigmentation.
Klur Supreme Seed Purification Mask
The Klur Supreme Seed Purification Mask is a purifying mask that is meant to reset and restore balance to fragile and easily stressed skin. It is formulated for all skin types, conditions, and ethnicities. This purification mask contains a soothing, balancing blend of panthenol, calendula, and cacao which helps calm, soothe, and improve the appearance of redness and irritation. This Klur face mask leaves skin smoother, brighter, more revitalized, and with a beautiful, glowing complexion.
Tata Harper Hydrating Floral Mask
The Tata Harper Hydrating Floral Mask is a luxurious gel facial mask that utilizes 1,000 sizes of hyaluronic acid to hydrate skin. It is meant for all skin types including dry, mature, sensitive, blemish-prone, combination and normal skin. This non-toxic gel mask contains 1000 micro- and macro-molecular sizes of hyaluronic acid which deliver intense hydration and replenish lost moisture. This natural face mask has 18 ingredients that provide nourishing vitamins and minerals, while a blend of 13 flowers works to improve skin tone.
Kypris Glow Philtre Mask
The Kypris Glow Philtre Mask is a clearing and exfoliation facial mask that is meant for all skin types including dry, mature, sensitive, blemish-prone, combination and normal skin. This natural cleansing mask helps to soften and brighten the skin while clearing pores and leaving skin with a gorgeous glow. The Glow Philtre Mask is formulated with pomegranate pith enzymes for gentle exfoliation, sea fennel stem cells and algae which helps to plump, brighten, hydrate, and soften the skin, and neroli flower to help soothe the skin.
Primally Pure Soothing Mask
The Primally Pure Soothing Spirulina Face Mask is another great all natural face mask from Primally Pure. This detoxifying and calming face mask features a blend of active, gentle botanicals that infuses skin with hydration and improves the skin's cellular structure through the use of antioxidants, amino acids and anti-inflammatory compounds. This soothing face mask is made with raw honey, spirulina, sandalwood, evening primrose oil, kaolin clay and gotu kola which help decrease redness and relieve sensitivities such as eczema, psoriasis and acne.
If you are interested you can get 10% off Primally Pure products by clicking this link and entering the code "pureandsimple" at checkout.
Beautycounter Reflect Effect AHA Smoothing Face Mask
The Beautycounter Reflect Effect AHA Smoothing Face Mask is another one of my favourite skincare products. This gel formula face mask contains a unique blend of chemical and physical exfoliants, like AHA, glycolic acid and bamboo particles. Plus, hydration-boosting saccharide isomerate helps soothe the skin for an ultra-soft complexion. This safe face mask is clinically proven to improve skin texture and tone, improve skin radiance and exfoliate the skin to help leave it soft and smooth. This face mask is cruelty free and vegan and comes in a recyclable glass jar. Plus it's tested for contaminants to ensure no unwanted harmful ingredients end up in the product by mistake.
And if you are new to Beautycounter, you can get 20% off your purchase by shopping through this link and using the code CLEANFORALL20 at checkout.
Ingredients to avoid in skincare products:
If you are shopping for skincare and beauty products it can be hard to know which products are safe for health or not, so I have put together a handy printable which includes a list of ingredients to watch for and avoid in skincare and beauty products including ingredients like fragrance, phthalates, parabens and more. Of course, this is not a complete list so be sure you read product labels carefully and stick with brands that are committed to only using safe ingredients in their products. Ideally, you should also choose brands which check their products for contaminants to ensure their products are truly safe and clean. To get the free printable list, simply leave your email below and it will be sent to you.
Frequently asked questions:
There are many face masks that are great for acne prone skin. Masks with activated charcoal are great for cleaning pores, while clay masks can also help pull impurities out of the skin. My personal favourite mask for acne is the Beautycounter charcoal mask.
How often you will use a face mask will depend on the particular type of mask. Some masks are best used once per week while other masks can be used daily. Always check the product instructions to see how often is recommended for that particular mask.
Green washing is when a company or product advertises itself as clean, safe, or non-toxic when it really contains ingredients that are not good for our health. Unfortunately green washing is now very common because companies understand that consumers are looking for healthier options when they shop for products. It's always best to read product labels and ingredient lists to double check what ingredients are in a product to determine if it is really safe or not.
Other health info you will like:
- The best non-toxic vitamin C serums
- The best non-toxic deodorants
- The best non-toxic body lotions
- The best non-toxic hair products
- The best non-toxic laundry detergents
- The best non-toxic body washes
Since you made it this far we are basically best friends so be sure to follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, TikTok and Facebook where I share even more recipes and healthy living tips!
- Skin safety and health prevention: an overview of chemicals in cosmetic products
- The Beast of Beauty: Environmental and Health Concerns of Toxic Components in Cosmetics
- Price, C. J., Marr, M. C., Myers, C. B., & Jahnke, G. D. (2005). Postnatal development of rat pups after maternal exposure to diethanolamine. Birth Defects Research Part B: Developmental and Reproductive Toxicology, 74(3), 243-254.
- Report on Carcinogens, Twelfth Edition (2011) Available Online: http://ntp.niehs.nih.gov/ntp/roc/twelfth/profiles/Nitrosamines.pdf. Accessed November 5, 2013.
- Kraeling, M. E. K., Yourick, J. J., & Bronaugh, R. L. (2004). In vitro human skin penetration of diethanolamine. Food and chemical toxicology, 42(10), 1553-1561.
- Panchal, S. R., & Verma, R. J. (2013). Spermatotoxic effect of diethanolamine: An in vitro study. Asian Pacific Journal of Reproduction, 2(3), 196-200.
- Craciunescu, C. N., Wu, R., & Zeisel, S. H. (2006). Diethanolamine alters neurogenesis and induces apoptosis in fetal mouse hippocampus. The FASEB journal, 20(10), 1635-1640.
- Darbre PD, et al., Concentrations of parabens in human breast tumors. Journal of Applied Toxicology, vol. 24, pp 5-13, 2004.
- Barr L., et al., Measurement of paraben concentrations in human breast tissue at serial locations across the breast from axilla to sternum. J Appl Toxicol, vol. 32, no. 3, pp 219–232, 2012.
- Darbre PD., et al., Paraben esters: review of recent studies of endocrine toxicity, absorption, esterase and human exposure, and discussion of potential human health risks. Journal of Applied Toxicology, 2008.
- Golden R., et al., A review of the endocrine activity of parabens and implications for potential risks to human health. Critical Reviews in Toxicology, vol. 35, pp 435-58, 2005.
- Oishi S., Effects of butylparaben on the male reproductive system in rats. Toxicology and Industrial Health, vol 17, pp 31-9, 2001.
- Darbre, P. D. (2006). Environmental oestrogens, cosmetics and breast cancer. Best practice & research clinical endocrinology & metabolism, 20(1), 121-143.
- Schlumpf, M., Schmid, P., Durrer, S., Conscience, M., Maerkel, K., Henseler, M., … & Lichtensteiger, W. (2004). Endocrine activity and developmental toxicity of cosmetic UV filters—an update. Toxicology, 205(1), 113-122.
- Boas, M., Feldt-Rasmussen, U., & Main, K. M. (2012). Thyroid effects of endocrine disrupting chemicals. Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology, 355(2), 240-248.
- Wang J, Pan L, Wu S, et al. Recent Advances on Endocrine Disrupting Effects of UV Filters. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2016;13(8):782. Published 2016 Aug 3.
- Report on Carcinogens, Fifteenth Edition. Butylated Hydroxyanisole. CAS No. 25013-16-5
- Labrador V et al., “Cytotoxicity of butylated hydroxyanisole in Vero cells,” Cell biology and toxicology, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 189-99, 2007.
- Jeong SH et al, “Effects of butylated hydroxyanisole on the development and functions of reproductive system in rats,” Toxicology, vol. 208, no. 1, pp. 49-62, 2005.
- Health Canada. 2022. List of Prohibited and Restricted Cosmetic Ingredients. Canada's Cosmetic Ingredient Hotlist.
- Burnett CL, Bergfeld WF, Belsito DV, Klaassen CD, Marks JG Jr, Shank RC, Slaga TJ, Snyder PW, Alan Andersen F. Final report of the safety assessment of methylisothiazolinone. Int J Toxicol. 2010 Jul;29(4 Suppl):187S-213S. doi: 10.1177/1091581810374651. PMID: 20634507.
- Vanessa E Melin, Haritha Potineni, Patricia Hunt, Jodi Griswold, Bill Siems, Stephen R. Werre & Terry C. Hrubec. 2014. Exposure to common quaternary ammonium disinfectants decreases fertility in mice. Reproductive toxicology (Elmsford, N.Y.) 50, 163-70.
- Steenland K, Whelan E, Deddens J, Stayner L, Ward E. Ethylene oxide and breast cancer incidence in a cohort study of 7576 women (United States). Cancer Causes Control. 2003;14:531-9.
- Mikoczy Z, Tinnerberg H, Björk J, Albin M. Cancer Incidence and Mortality in Swedish Sterilant Workers Exposed to Ethylene Oxide: Updated Cohort Study Findings 1972–2006. Inl J Environ Res Public Health. 2011;8:2009-19.
- Human exposure to endocrine disrupting compounds: their role in reproductive systems, metabolic syndrome and breast cancer. A review
- Methylparaben stimulates tumor initiating cells in ER+ breast cancer models.
- Fragrance: emerging health and environmental concerns.
- Human exposure to nitro musks and the evaluation of their potential toxicity: an overview
- Phthalates and attributable mortality: a population based longitudinal cohort study and cost analysis
Leave a Reply