Whole30 and Paleo Sloppy Joes
Whole30 and Paleo Sloppy Joes are a healthier twist on a traditional homestyle classic. Made without sugar and without ketchup this recipe is kid friendly and makes great leftovers!
- 2 cans chopped or diced tomatoes (equivalent to 796mL)
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 6 dates (sub 2-3 tablespoon honey if not on the Whole30 diet or if on the SIBO diet)
- 2 tablespoon coconut vinegar (sub apple cider vinegar)
- 1 clove garlic, crushed (sub 1 tablespoon garlic infused olive oil)
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika (sub for paprika if you don't have smoked paprika)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Beef and Vegetable Ingredients
Beef and Vegetable Instructions
Place a large pan on the stove on medium heat and add the coconut oil and let it melt.
Add the green onion and chopped peppers to the pan and sauté for a couple minutes.
Add the ground beef and cook until no longer pink.
Add the sauce and mix well to combine all the ingredients.
Turn down the heat to low and simmer for 15-20 minutes (until it reaches the thickness you like).
- If you don't have coconut vinegar you can use apple cider vinegar instead.
- Instead of green onion you could sub a medium white onion.
- Feel free to use different coloured peppers.
- You could make the sauce with honey instead of dates (note that honey wouldn't be Whole30 compliant).
- To make a potato bun or sweet potato bun simply bake a potato, slice it in half and pour the sloppy Joe mix on top.
Calories: 317kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 38g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 105mg | Sodium: 659mg | Potassium: 985mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 926IU | Vitamin C: 59mg | Calcium: 58mg | Iron: 6mg