Plantain Waffles with Berry Compote
These plantain waffles with berry compote are so delicious! They are paleo waffle that is nut free and grain free. The perfect healthy breakfast!
- 3 cups berries I used blueberries and raspberries this time but any berry should work
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract omit for AIP
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot starch
Puree the plantains with 1 cup coconut milk in your food processor or high speed blender (NOTE: altogether this should yield 3 cups - depending on the size of your plantains you may need to add a little extra coconut milk).
Transfer the blended mixture to a mixing bowl and add the remaining coconut milk, coconut oil, eggs and vanilla extract and stir well until combined.
Add the dry ingredients and stir well until combined.
Turn on your waffle maker and let it heat up.
Transfer 1 cup of the batter to your waffle maker and cook for 5-6 minutes.
Continue until you use up all the batter. Then make the berry compote and serve!
Berry Compote Instructions
Place a medium pot on the stove on medium heat.
Add all the ingredients to the pot and let heat until bubbling.
Turn the heat down and simmer for 10-15 minutes to allow the berries to break apart.
Stir in the tapioca flour and cook for another 5 minutes.
Turn off the heat and let sit for a couple minutes to thicken.
Spoon the berry sauce over the waffles and enjoy!
- ** To make a gelatin egg: combine 1 TBSP gelatin with 1 tablespoon cold water and stir vigorously until the gelatin dissolves, then add 2 tablespoon boiling water and beat well (it should make a frothy type substance).
- Nutritional values are an estimate and will vary depending on the exact ingredients used.
- If you don't want to make the berry compote you don't have to. You can serve these waffles with whatever you prefer.
- Store these waffles in the fridge in an air tight container for up to 5 days.
Calories: 825kcal | Carbohydrates: 72g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 60g | Saturated Fat: 50g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 82mg | Sodium: 652mg | Potassium: 1064mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 35g | Vitamin A: 1685IU | Vitamin C: 29mg | Calcium: 53mg | Iron: 6mg